Salsa Cycles Colossal Road Bike

Salsa Cycles Colossal Road Bike

The beautiful titanium frame is paired with a feathery ENVE RD carbon disc fork and features extremely balanced front and rear ends. Disc brakes deliver consistent and confidence-inspiring braking.

[Jun 29, 2014]
Adam O'Neil

Strength:

Good compromise between comfortable and aggressive postures. Solid feel, large head tube feels very stable in corners. Disc brakes are awesome. Decal-free laser-etched 2013 frame is an understated cool. Enve fork is beefy and awesome. Hed Belgium wheels are great.

Mechanical disc brakes not as powerful as I'd hoped.

I've been riding my Colossal about a year. Having long shed any aspirations of racing, I still want to ride hard and explore. Comfort is important to me, but I still ride aggressively also, if not very fast. I've always been a fairly timid descender, and I'd hoped that the disc brakes would make me more confident on long, steep descents, but it hasn't quite worked out that way. The mechanical disc brakes aren't as powerful as I'd hoped. (I probably need to upgrade to hydraulic.) They certainly look cool. The bike is very stable, even so. It even rides better than the Serotta Classique I rode for 12 years--but this is mainly due to an accident of better fit on the Salsa. (I had been riding a 55cm Serotta, but I got a 58cm Salsa--which turned out to be a better fit for me.) The one conspicuous improvement over my old Serotta is the Salsa's bigger head tube--making the bike more stable in the front-end than it otherwise would be.

Bottom line: great balance of performance, comfort, and value for hardcore recreational riders. Stock titanium frame has excellent ride quality without the pretensions of very high-end boutique/custom frames. Not a hardcore racing or time-trial bike.