Schwinn Super Sport DBX Road Bike

• Freewheel: SRAM 9-speed cassette 12-26
  • Chain: Shimano HG-53 super-narrow

[Mar 28, 2018]
suzername

Strength:

Incredibly great deal. Light but durable. Bought new for my 25th birthday. I'm almost 40 and it's still as fast and comfortable as it was when I got it. I use for pretty short fun rides and year round commuting in NYC. Still has all of its original parts (except the fork. See below).

The fork sheared in half after a fender bender with a heavier bike years ago but that's perhaps more a reflection of novice riders' inability to figure out how to go around each other.

Price Paid:
Can't remember
Purchased:
New
Model Year:
2004
[May 23, 2011]
Warrantone

Strength:

Price, durability, disc brakes, road bike feel.

Wheels. I routinely ride through mud on this bike and wash it off when I arrive at work and when I return home. Although the wheels allegedly have sealed bearings, I must have washed out all of the grease. The Joytech "sealed bearings and hubs" rusted and I had to get rid of the wheels. However, the wheels were replaced at no charge.

Since this bike is out of production and all inventory is sold out by now, you have to find a used bike if you want a DBX. Simple advice - do it. As reviews for this bike are the most unanimous I have seen, it is obviously a good package and the price is the best part. Mine even came with a computer, bottle, and bottle cage, no tax, and no shipping.

I have a Felt FC3 which I will not ride in the rain or on muddy roads. Since I ride past farm fields, this is a routine obstacle and the reason I bought the DBX. I just could not buy a hybrid with an upright position, seat with springs and all that garbage. The fact that this is a road bike makes it an excellent substitute for my Felt which feels faster when I am able to ride it. In other words, the DBX is a great trainer/commuter as I can practice road racing techniques to improve my skills.

The flat finish, disc brakes, rugged components, and road bike handling are perfect for anyone else in this situation. I have had zero problems with the bike except for the wheels which I replaced with a set of Vuelta XRPs. Harbour Country sent me a new set of wheels which I immediately sold as new on eBay.

Felt FC3, Klein Quantum Pro, Bottechia BZ662, Motobecane Mirage Sport

[Aug 04, 2008]
JR97

Strength:

Seems like a bike that can handle a lot of abuse.

Disc brakes work great and the placement of the rear caliper is rack friendly.

Sufficient gearing provided by the 50,38,30 crank set up front and the 12-26 cassette in the rear.

There is a lot of clearence for fenders and bigger tires. I'll probably add some bigger tires to help ease the bumps on the commute and to provide a bigger footprint on the gravel trails.

Mine came with pedals that are clipless on one side and platform on the other. Very handy.

The Tiagra shifters feel cheap. They function just fine, but these will probably be the first thing I upgrade.

The bike is heavier than most road especially when adding rack and fenders. But it is a commuter/rec/tourer for me and I'm not concerned about the weight of this bike.

The only other weakness might be the drop bars. The drop position is angled a bit awkward to spend a lot of time in. But to adjust them so that they are comfortable renders the hoods useless.

This review is for the 2007 model which is essentially the same except for a triple up front, included fenders, and a different color scheme.

I bought mine primarily for commuting, but also for low key recreational riding as well as light touring.

For commuting, the bike is perfect. Relaxed geometry, drop bars, disc brakes, and fenders get me to work with less effort than the full suspension mtb I used all of last year and some this year.

[May 28, 2008]
Bob Manipis

Strength:

Carbon fork smooths out the road, disc brakes, solid wheels so far, compact crank, etc.

None so far

I use my DBX as a commuter bike. My trips vary from 15 miles to 54 miles depending on if I take the bus part way. To date, I have logged in over 500 miles and I must say that I really enjoy this bike. This is my replacement bike to my trusty Specilaized Sirrus Comp which I logged in over 11,000 miles commuting. This bike is smooth and the disc brakes are awesome for stopping power in all weather conditions. It is burly but I like the fact that I can haul my stuff without any problems. Got a great deal on E-Bay that I could not pass up.

[May 28, 2008]
fightin5th

Strength:

Built like a tank yet quick, HD carbon fork, ecellent geometry.

the rear brake caliper gets in the way of a rack if you want one

Bought a leftover '06 in '08. I was a little worried about buying a schwinn but the spec for the money could not be beat. I love this bike! I commute 4 times a week with it and pull my kids in their trailer the rest and it does both things great. I find it to be really well built, solid, bomb proof. The ride is suprisingly smooth, I changed the tires to a 32c cross before it hit the pavement and I think it may have hepled smooth it out. Plenty room to run a much wider tire if needed. I really like the compact crank vs a triple for the undulating terrain in the midwest. I would have preffered a canti brake but the BB7 work great.Mine came with an adjustable Ritchey pro stem, I swapped it out because it felt too long. A awesome all arounder, I even ride it in leiu of my road bike in poor weather. Great bike for the dough. definatly worth it.

All carbon road bikes to FS rigs

[May 12, 2008]
schlaefer88

Strength:

Light, durable. Disc brakes, room for fenders.

Compact double may not have enough gears for loaded commute if the hills are too high. Also, I have broken some spokes on the rear wheel and have decided to upgrade the wheels to a pair of Cane Creek Strados Disc wheels.

I bought a 2006 Schwinn DBX, frame size XL in July of 2007 from Performance for around 899, and use it as my regular commuting bicycle. I commute from Palo Alto to Santa Clara on this bike and logged around 2000 miles last year.

I test rode the Bianchi Axis and other commuter candidates but the Schwinn
DBX had a much more comfortable ride. I think this is due to the carbon fork and seatpost, but the difference is remarkable.

I love the disc brakes which stop very efficiently even in pouring rain and
the high quality (for the price) Shimano 105 components. I do wish it was a triple rather than a double crank. I
understand that the 2007 model is a compact triple.

I commuted on a Trek 930 mountain bike before buying this. It is much faster.