Scott Addict R4 Road Bike

Addict R4

Product Overview (Identical Frame to Addict LTD)
With a frameset around 800 grams, the Addict R4 is a world class road bike frame built for attacking and rocketing uphill. Why is this bike so incredibly light? Utilizing a state of the art "Integrated Molding Process" (IMP) and a "Naked External Tubeset" (NET); Scott removed the cosmetic layer of carbon and shaved precious grams out of the entire frame. Despite its weight, the Addict Series is still stiff enough for powerful cyclist like David Millar. If you seriously want the lightest bike in the industry look no further than this pro caliber marvel of engineering. Features include:
- HMX Carbon Frame and Fork: The super high quality HMX carbon allows Scott to use minimal material and achieve outstanding performance in both stiffness and durability. More material is added in high stress areas and less material is used in areas designed to flex when dampening road vibration. In combination with IMP/NET, Scott has achieved all the essential characteristics of a world class road bike: lightweight, stiff, and responsive.
- Aggressive Road Race Geometry: The frame design allows the rider to get in the most powerful and efficient position possible.
- Integrated Carbon Seatpost: Results in a smooth frame-to-seat transition.
- Component Package: The Addict R4 wheels and components are designed for training and racing. For a "pure racing" set-up, please call Nytro for upgrades.

Characteristics
- Weight: 15.86lbs (as shown w/Scott Addict F4 Component Package)
- Color: White with Red and Black Accents
- Sizes(cm): XS/49, S/52, M/54, L56, XL/58, XXL/61 (all sizes 700c wheels)

andylikesbikes   Recreational Rider [Apr 30, 2011]
Strength:

Weight, handling, flex free & frame strength. Well over 7k mi. SOLID

Cable rub on frame. Not as sexy as the other two bikes considering. But a good looker.

Narrowed search down to 3 rigs. Scott Addict, Specialixed Roubaix & Colnago CLX. Chose the Addict. Tad concerned w/ the aggressive geometry. Flipped the stem and that was remedied. Climbs, descends, tracks, absorbs everthing excellent. Lunch time, commuting, group, all day rides no problem. Hit plenty of really rough roads, man hole covers, pot holes and this frame is solid. Still working on getting to full potential of this bike. Extremely satisfied. Awesome.

Similar Products Used: Vitus & Specialized Allez Comp
yanick perreault   Road Racer [Jul 31, 2010]
Strength:

Very light, very strong, deliver the power on the road when you really push it hard. Absorbation of road vibration is very good, if not the best frame in the world...

None... i'm smiling when i read that on critic find it is too light...ask a proracer if it is too light... ask Cavendish if this frame is too light...it is perfect !

I have put 10 000km on this frame this year, road racing (i have paid full price for this bike) and trainning on all sort of road. Road in Quebec, Canada are very bad, this frame set is ''fantastic'' on absorbing vibration, i have Easton Ec90SL and a set of DT Swiss with powertap for trainning. If you are able to put real watts on a bike, this frame is for you. It is very very stiff ans stable, i have try 40 different bike in my life, this is the best frameset and SRAM Rival is very good too for this price....

Similar Products Used: Look 595, Argon 18 Gallium, Cervelo, many other
Richard Hislop   Road Racer [Feb 01, 2010]
Strength:

Light frame , comfortable ride , but not too comfortable to feel like a soft tail.

Wheel set . I am planning to change my mavics expert , a bit to heavy for my liking

I was deliberating over wether I should sell my Specialized Roubaix , I eventually decided to let it go for the Scott Addict .I need something a bot more aggressive when it came to the geometry. I have no regrets ! The frame is a perfect blend for speed and comfort .Climbilg is a joy and it's snappy on accelerations. I was looking for a versatile bike to race and train the addict does it all .

TucsonMTB   Recreational Rider [Sep 14, 2009]
Strength:

Great all round bike in handling, responsiveness, and comfort.

After about 300 miles in a little more than a week on this new bike, I hopped on one of my favorite, full Campy Super Record Classic bikes custom built in the 70's and equipped with high quality tubular tires. Other than missing the cushy handlebar tape, it did not feel much different from the Scott until I starting needing to shift in traffic. Unindexed downtube shifters don't make it after the incredibly reliable SRAM Rival group.

I'm a somewhat spoiled by great equipment in the past, but a little awed by how responsive and comfortable this Scott is.

The stock saddle is very pretty, but not much else. No surprise.

Great Scott! This is a 2009 Addict R4 left over that couldn't be passed up.

As an older road racer with several tubular-tired, full Campy classics, this is my first full carbon bike and my first road bike with modern shifters. My mountain bikes are state of the art and were my "road" bike of choice until this one, largely because of their index shifting and great gearing.

Last year, I bought my wife a Lemond Zurich and have been amazed at how well her Ultegra group works and how fast she can move on it. Hey, I'm originally a Campy snob. ;-)

This year it was my turn for a new bike and Paul at Oro Valley Bicycles hooked me up with an unbeatable deal on this 2009 left over. Don't let any of my Campy Super Record classic bikes know, but this is without a doubt the nicest bike I have ever riden.

The SRAM Rival group works perfectly. It's louder than Ultegra but just as reliable in operation. The stock saddle was NOT comfortable, but that's to be expected.

This bike begs to be ridden. So much so, that in celebration of Labor Day, I road more than 70 miles in five hours and loved almost every minute. Note: Climbing long 7% grades is not "fun" on any bike. But, the compact crank and 11-28 cassette make it a much like fun as possible, both up and down.

The ride feel is great. I did replace the stock Hutchinson's with Vittoria Open CX's to get as close to a tubular tire ride as possible, but anyone who feels that stiff bikes have to be harsh should try an Addict.

Similar Products Used: Older, custom built road and track bikes mixed with an a few top line commercial offerings from Pogliaghi, Masi, and several excellent US bike builders mostly from the 80's and 90's when I had time to compete in USCF races.
rkosai   Recreational Rider [Aug 08, 2009]
Strength:

Stiff and light but with good comfort. Also not quite as omnipresent as Specialized, Trek and Cervelo.

Cables are already running off the paint. Never a worry with brushed titanium.

This is for a 2008 model which I like the kit better vs the 2009. Having switched from an older Ti Litespeed, I've noticed a big improvement in frame stiffness, with less weight overall. I didn't think it would have a significant effect on my speed but on high effort sprints and climbs, this bike is noticeably faster. In fact the harder you press on the gas, the more it shines. In terms of stability, the front end steers fairly quick but it tracks straight and no wobbles on descents.

And the ride quality? Small high frequency chatter is nicely muted, comparable to my Litespeed. Large bumps/potholes do feel sharper but I wouldn't consider it harsh. The longest ride I've done so far is 5 hours and comfort was never an issue. I just switched out the Ksyrium Elites for Dura Ace carbon clinchers and the ride is much improved.

During my search, I test rode a Trek Madone, Specialized Roubaix, Orbea Orca, and Cervelo RS. All the bikes are outstanding, but I loved the feel of Addict, fast and lively. The Cervelo would be my 2nd choice but I didn't like the upright geometry and a R3 would set me back over $1000 more.

Similar Products Used: Litespeed Arenberg, Cannondale 2.8 series
Nipsey   Road Racer [Dec 04, 2008]
Strength:

This bikes eats up the hills. It feels like every drop of energy is transfered into making this bike go forward and up. There is no need for a compact on this machine. Even the 25-12 may be too much.

I had to find something. The buzzing from the shift cables crossing in front of the stem is annoying. A little foam tape solved that. I wish Shimano could figure out how to route the cables internally.

This review is for the 2008 R4 model.
Just bought this bike a few weeks ago after a long search. I chose the Scott because I felt that it fit me the best. I also, chose it after testing other brands and seeing how they skimp on some components.
This is my 1st new bike in 6 years and my 1st carbon. All I can say is wow!!! This bike wants to be ridden and ridden hard. This time of year is usually my time to rest and I am riding everyday.
Yes it's stiff, but not uncomfortable. I could ride this bike all day long.

Similar Products Used: Raliegh, Trek
steve c.   Recreational Rider [Sep 23, 2008]
Strength:

stiff, light, great climber, decent is solid but my Look 555 was better (is there such a thing as too light?). Soaking up bumps pretty well.

when hammering out of the saddle on uphills, the lightness takes some getting use to, better really concentrate. don't know if it will be comfy on long rides (I guess i will find out soon on the 100 mile ride).

actually a Scott Adicct SL with full Dura-Ace. I was very worry about the weight limit of such a light bike since I weigh 200lb. The SL is a smooth ride but you can feel the stiffness of the frame. I broke the rear derailiur hanger just last weekend and replaced it at LBS. The bike climbs very well since I changed the crank to a Ultegra compact. The bike felt a little heavier with the Ultegra compact; the stock Dura Ace crank made the bike feel like it was tethered to a bunch of helium balloons. Not exactly comfy on the 25th mile but I have no trouble going uphill (remember, I weigh 200lb). I am going to take it on a 100 mile ride next month and I look forward to every inch of that ride with my SL. I also just ordered a R2. The R2 is supposed to be even lighter. The R2 will be here in 4 days. Can't wait!

Similar Products Used: Lamond Versaille, Look 555,
benolium   Recreational Rider [Sep 21, 2008]
Strength:

Light
Stiff
Beautiful
VERY Stable on Descents-49 mph so far
Compliant in the BB

Integrated BB is a bit limiting with Crankset Choices
Stock Ultegra and Kysirum Elites are a bit heavy for this caliber of Frame and Fork

I have logged 160 miles in 5 days. Never before have ever wanted to or ridden so much in 1 week. This bike screams for more. More climbing, more miles, more days to ride. I initially thought that it would be too stiff since all of the reviews. Not So. Yes it is stiff, but not jarring, nor is it uncomfortable. I just came off a Look 585 that was very similar in feel. Which is a good thing IMHO. This however is lighter, gets more looks because of the white, compliments galore. I upgraded to Full SRAM Red Components, Sram K Force Compact Crankset, American Classic 420 wheels, and topped it off with Look Keo Carbon pedals. This is truly the finest bikes I have tested yet.

Similar Products Used: Felt F4
Look 585 Origin
Time VXRS Ulteam
Aaron Beyer   Recreational Rider [Sep 21, 2008]
Strength:

Light
Stiff

Similar Products Used: Felt F4
Look 585 Origin
Time VXRS Ulteam
troy791   Recreational Rider [Sep 12, 2008]
Strength:

Excellent for climbing, love the lightweight carbon frame and also have also wanted to have a full Ritchey setup (H'bars, stem, seat post etc.)

Not enough riding time to know yet but my last bike was an 04 Klein Aura V which was a great bike but I defineitly can appreciate the difference after riding for a couple years.

This is the 2008 model. Scott already has the 2009 model on its website so you have to specificaly search if you want to know about the 08 model. See link: