Scott CR1 Road Bike

CR1

Scott CR1

Ben Leim   [Sep 01, 2015]
Strength:

comfortable, mostly sturdy, climbs well, light...

water bottle mounts, low-class service

What to say about this. It's great to ride. I bought the bare frameset in 2014 and built it up with my own components. I find it to be comfortable, stable, fairly fast, but I have had serious problems with the bottle bosses - first the ones on the seat tube were spinning in place then one of the downtube bosses pulled out of the frame leaving an enlarged hole. The vendor fixed the bike in each case. With the seat tube this was just replacement rivnuts and no issues. With the downtube it looked like DIY work with a carbon patch placed around the hole. Kind of bizarre to get that back! Wether it will hold up is anyone's guess...I suppose it is OK but it definitely reduced the bike's value. Its hard to understand why Scott would countenance such a repair and I was told that it was arranged in communication with Scott. Not a happy camper! At some point you just sigh and move on....

Paul Cugno   [Jul 02, 2014]
Strength:

price, climbing, flats, power distribution

Scott customer service leaves much to be desired

Flaking frame at the mounts and the crank. Front derailleur completely fell of my 2009 cr1 pro on my last ride. after my last tune up the tech warned me about this so i brought it up with Scott, brought it to REI, took pictures, found my original receipt. The tech at REI was awesome never charged me for removing the crank to take pictures. in the end scott offered next to nothing. A small discount on a frame replacement. Made me feel like I was trying to take advantage of them. Said the flaking was not an issue. Once i did the math and realized it would cost me about the same price of a new bike to outfit the new frame with components i just let it go. Sorry, but a bike that costs nearly 3k should last more than 5 years and i take care of my equipment. Ride about 2k miles per year. I have read a lot of stories about other manufacturers replacing frames without a hassle. I'm going with one of them for my next bike.

Rob   Triathlete [Feb 02, 2014]
Strength:

Nimble, quick, smooth, light, nice color scheme

Seat

Very happy with the CR1, Climbs much better than my previous bike an Orbea. Haven't participated in a Tri yet this season (too early) but from what I've seen, this bike will be a huge upgrade.

Similar Products Used: Orbea
Dylan Vang   [Aug 25, 2013]
Strength:

Nothing

Nothing

Worst bike cracked the day I got it.

Rich   [Mar 24, 2013]
Strength:

Light weight, responsive, all day comfort

Maybe a little too soft to some!

I bought a 2012 Scott CR1 Pro at the end of fall 2012 for a cost of $1,050 frameset only. I built it up with SRAM Red total weight of just over 15 lbs. I've owned many bikes over the years too many to count from Colnago C50 to S-Works Roubaix trying to find just the right fit and comfort. For me this IS that bike!! With the leaf spring style stays this bike is not overly stiff at all which some carbon can be nor is it too soft. At 145 lbs and looking for an all day ridding bike I am very pleased. I've rode over 1,400 miles since getting the bike late last year and I'm greatly looking forward to doing some Brevets this year.

Love this bike!!!!!

RP

fattybombom   Recreational Rider [Jan 29, 2013]
Strength:

light, quick, stable, comfortable, pound for pound one of the best in value for carbon frames

i've ridden stiffer frames, those with similar past experience may not like the slightly numb feeling(compared to hard-as-nails frames) when out of the saddle and climbing..the bike is 5 yrs old and the white paint has yellowed slightly... but honestly this is nit-picking. i fkin love this bike.

previously rode cervelo, cannondale for a couple of years then sold my bikes due to college commitments. rode the cannondale in tri relay events. recently had a torn acl so got back into riding for rehab. rode a friend's cannondale for a while then decided to buy my own bike. saw a cr1 team 2008 with dura ace group, ultegra compact crank and rs80 wheels. bought for just (converted)usd1290 because the dude was moving out of the country. (also got da crank w q rotor, fsa gossamer brand new compact, hydro tail w carbon holders as well as new floor pump. damn freaking good deal)
and i adore this bike! rode the same route with a couple of climbs and i managed to ave 3-4 kmph more even tho the prev bike had aero wheels... climbing was sexy and i managed to keep th speed above 30 with my cadence above 90.. i'm still new to this whole cadence and 'spinning' thing as i used to be a big gear cruncher.. maybe the compact crank helps...
descending is really confidence inspiring, and the same can be said for cornering... i used to be a big believer in alu frames for the stiffness and peace of mind that my fat ass would be safe on a tough frame, but the added feeling of lightness to this stability that carbon brings is just so addictive that i wanted to keep finding fast corners to take...
my cervelo would sag when i got out of the saddle and after changing to cannondale it was so stiff i would ache for a few days after each century...the scott represents to me a suitably perfect 'compromise' bw stiffness and comfort, the inverted commas being there because the bike is actually both stiff and comfortable
riding over crappy tarmac over a familiar route will really be the time when you discover how comfy this carbon frame is. i ride on mich pro 4 service 115psi and still the comfort is so good. cant imagine what it'd be like on gp4000s..
this bike feels just as (to give respect) comfy as a buddy's madone which costs like sooooo much more...
basically unbeatable for the price.
you may not find the kind of deal i got but i sure hope you find a bike in the condition i got. absolutely magic.
buy this bike/frame if you're looking to upgrade from aluminium or simply looking for carbon on a budget...

Similar Products Used: cervelo soloist 105group fulcrum0 wheels, cannondale 2004 team saeco tdf edn (stiffer than hell) ultegra group da wheels
kazim   [Nov 16, 2012]
Strength:

good quick acceleration and a great climber. i am 38 years old and just got into cycling. good to see i can keep up with the younger guys. keeping steady speed around 20-23mph isn't an issue. hane't tried cornering at fast speed but the bike overall gives me confidence to do so

have a mixed bag of components. the shop had CR1 fitted with Tiagra front derallieur and didnt have option of 105 available. that is a bit bothersome but still it hasn't given me any problems yet as i tend to use the front changing very less. the seat definitely has to be changed as its not the most comfortable. probably my next upgrade

great bike for someone who wants to enter the carbon world. better than many carbon bikes at the price. definitely must for beginners like me. very good value for money.

JustJustin   [Jul 09, 2012]
Strength:

Fast, stable, light & guick

Scott stock seats are a real pain in the rear

I bought this on Ebay at a super price .. road it over 2000 miles, then changed on handle bar to a tri-bar with bar end shifters & changed out crank to 53/39 from 50/34 + cog to 11-28. I've ridden this bike on 95 mile rides with no problems.
Buddies talked me into doing the Texas State Sr games, I have never raced before .. rode it on the 5K & 10K time trials .. got 3rd & 4th .. might of done better if I had known what I was doing ?? this is a great bike for anyone wanting a light fast bike

Andy Old Guy   Recreational Rider [Jun 27, 2012]
Strength:

Balance between comfort and stiffness. Acceleration. Light flexible frame.

A bit twitchy at 45 mph. Stock tires were not great. Saddle is so-so. Fixed rear derailleur mount.

I have not owned gobs of road bikes, so bought this one after riding the Specialized Roubaix C2 and talking with many, and noticing great reviews....and liking the trick Black/red/white color combo. First real trial was a 25-mile Tour de Cure loop. Not too many folks, but three or four serious bike/rider combos and me, age 65. Started out to discover that my spoke-mounted magnet indicator for the computer had shifted, so pulled over after three miles and tweaked it, then currently running first. A fat guy passed me, and the other real riders were right behind. So I thought, OK let's chase 'em. Long story short, I blew them completely off for 22 miles until the last 1/2 mile climb where my VO2 max just could not hold up against the young guys. But the bike was splendid in all respects. 105 group, including brakes is satisfactory. 45 mph was stable, cornering was solid. New Continental Gatorskins made the difference in confidence over road imperfections and thorns. Go buy one - $1,850 - $2,050.

Similar Products Used: Specialized Roubaix C2 (also a nice bike)
carlos   Recreational Rider [Nov 08, 2011]
Strength:

ride comfort
performance and speed
frame

the white color of the tape in the handle bars and the seat. it is getting grey already...

this is a solid carbon bike for anyone looking for performance and confort. the bike comes with 105 which is "the compromise" as long as you dont mind 1/2 extra lbs when compared to dura-ace or ultegra.
i ride 30-40 miles @18-21mph 6xweek and i am 215lbs 5'11", been riding on and off for since i am 15yo.bike rides great! and it puts the power down nicely while climbing & absorbs the road imperfections great if you ride at 100psi. 110+ you will feel the difference and the ride is a little more harsh.
i will suggest this bike for someone that is looking to upgrade into carbon at a decent price. the bike originally costs 1900 depending where you get it at.
the 105 is a solid performer and the frame is great. take intoconsideration this is the same frame they use for all the line of CR1, the only difference are the components.
the wheels are solid and in miami streets which are full of holes they are still true after 300+ miles.
i will keep this one for a while and with time upgrade the components to ultegra or duraace,since the frame is a great starting point to build around it.
if you want a good carbon bike with the potential for upgrades, for a decent price go for it, you wont regret it!