Specialized Allez Comp Cr-Mo Double Road Bike

Rear Der: Shimano Ultegra SS
Pedals: Not included
Tires: 700 x 23c Specialized Mondo Pro

Brian   [Mar 28, 2014]
Strength:

Light steel frame. Smooth ride. I like the sloping TT.

None.

I love the ride of this frame.

tom   Recreational Rider [Nov 01, 2013]
Strength:

Steel

I got this frame after a considerable search. Love the looks. Built up with Campy Record triple 10 speed group,used. Running my EURUS wheelset and. brooks saddle . Love this ride .Shame steel frames like these are not common anymore.

Similar Products Used: surly bianchi Peugeot wheeler specialized
kurti_sc   Recreational Rider [May 31, 2013]
Strength:

Durability, Good quality ride, just plain fun!
Classic and modern combination with the skinny tubes and sloping geometry.

This wasn't a weakness when I bough the bike, but 13 years later, it's a little hard to keep pace with the modern components given the 1 1/8" straight head tube, threaded BB, but its those reasons that have me finally pondering another bike now.
Steering is on the quick side. great for crits and sprint riding, if i did that. A little toe overlap, but i do wear size 14 shoes...

after about 140,000 kms, I think I know this bike pretty well. I love the geometry for climbing, but it is a little hefty. Not terrible, my 58cm frame is at 19.0 lbs (just weighed it today) with pedals, cages, computer, etc.
It's a good bike for long rides, centuries, fondos, etc. It's a great bike for less then perfect roads.
The rear has plenty of stiffness for transferring power while seated, but it won't beat you up either.
I run mine with a lot of drop, so it can be set up plenty aggressive, too.
Great bike!

Similar Products Used: Cannondale CAAD3, Colnago Master Light
Matt   Triathlete [May 03, 2011]
Strength:

Smooth ride, strong frame. Columbus Thermacrom.

Weight? Geometry is a bit tight, so I get some toe overlap with the front wheel

No only is the bike lively and smooth, but it has taken a beating and kept going as well. Even after head tube repair the bike feels like new. The frame does an amazing job of soaking up expansion joints and other rough stuff on the road. Comfortable enough for a century and still enough bike for the fast training rides.

Similar Products Used: modern aluminum & classic steel bikes
mchong   Recreational Rider [Mar 17, 2009]
Strength:

comfortable ride- trite, but steel is real- wholly different from alum, carbon, ti. solid and plush.

heavy- but probably b/c i've kept it stock.

great all-around bike. let's face it most of us don't race, so why pay the price ($ and comfort) to get technology you'll never use?

this bike is all i'll ever need- though i have geeked out and spent too much money on a "race bike". i strangely enjoy riding this bike though- everything just works and looks as it should. full ultegra setup- 9sp, but still does the trick. the WH540 wheels i am not crazy about, (i hate that they look so aero fake on a cool retro looking bike like this), but hey they work.

if you can find one, go buy it- and avoid paying an arm and a leg from the higher-end builders.

Similar Products Used: lemond, treks
FatChance   Recreational Rider [Aug 18, 2006]
Strength:

smooth ride and pretty stiff for steel. very good looking. fast. sharp handling.

not exactly a flyweight. it might be better looking than you.

I bought the frame off of ebay and built it up with my parts. very resilient yet stiff enough for everybody but sprinters. great looking. will last forever if taken care of. oddly, this bike is kind of rare since it was only offered for 2 or 3 years, which is pretty cool. i prefer to MTB so this bike is a training tool for me. it's no where near as light as my Tarmac and doesn't accelerate quite as quickly. but, that is okay since i don't race road bikes. this would be an excellent all around bikes. fast enough for crits and comfy enough for century rides.

Similar Products Used: 2005 Specialized S-Works Tarmac E5
2004 Specialized Allez Pro
Mike Knowles   Recreational Rider [Jul 30, 2006]
Strength:

Lightweight, responsive, shock-absorbing

Can't think of any.

This Columbus steel frame bike weighed in around 18lbs stock. I've modified it for fit, comfort, and to make the drive train a little hill-friendlier. In the process I actually shaved nearly a pound. This bike is comfortable, yet accelerates like a rocket - only limited by the engine. I upgraded the wheelset at purchase to benefit from some trade-in value. Based on the reviews of the Shimano wheelset and my clydesdale status, It looks like I did the right thing. The red in the Easton/Velomax wheels look great with the blue and white frame.

Upgrading the wheelset on my previous bike (allez triple, upgraded with Velomax Vistas) instantly increased my average by a couple of MPH. Upgrading to this bike did the same, and training with it I'm still gaining in average speed.

I'm giving value a 5, based on what I paid. Overall I'm giving a 5 - I'm sure there are better bikes out there, but this bike sets the bar very high.

Similar Products Used: Specialized Sirrus, Allez Triple, Sequoyah.
strayduck   Road Racer [Oct 09, 2005]
Strength:

- lightweight - handling - value

- Specialized parts *look* modern and high-performance but end up being a little chunky - How/where does an enormous company like this make a high-performance bike for this cost?

Truth be told, I was actually looking for a Breezer Venturi when I found this 2004 model on sale (and neglected looking) at a local bike shop. Something about it called out to me right away -- the "classic" color and decals (cross between Breezer and old Bontrager bikes), compact frameset, and the minimalist look (which was likely owed to the 16-spoke wheels and simple color palette). Since my search for a good looking sub-20lb bike had been dragging on for years (you know how tough it is to find anyone on the east coast who has even *heard* of Breezer?...) I decided to throw caution to the wind and take it for a spin. One test ride is all it took for me to say out loud: "I think I must have this bike". 800 miles later and this is one of my favorite rides of all time. This is a very light, fast, and well-built bike for being from one of those “big box” companies. Handling is predictable and the bike really sticks to the ground when standing/sprinting. There are a handful of parts that that I dumped immediately upon purchase for a little more weight savings and performance: - Seatpost: wasn’t convinced of the longevity of a flexing carbon post - Stem/Handlebars: heavier than need be - Seat: heavy and uncomfortable - Tires: fine, but not nearly as sticky as the Schwalbe Stelvio's Great add-ons: - Shimano Flight Deck computer integrates very well with Ultegra levers -- cadence w/o extra sensors is great. Price is a bit steep but you can often get a deal on eBay. Other notes: - STICKERS! This thing was loaded with all kinds of goofy stickers. Luckily 28 (yes, twenty eight) of them peeled off easily with no marks improving the already minimalist appearance of the bike. - Shimano wheels are kind of a toss-up: too light to want to junk, a little too flexy to want to keep... They are definitely good in the wind, quick out of the gates, and shine on the flats, but make strange noise when flexing during climbing/sprinting. If you are out of the saddle and going too slow up a steep grade the wheels WILL flex and rub on the brakes if you rock the bike too much. It only took me one ride (a mountainous century of all places) to learn to change my technique to avoid the rubbing -- but doesn't seem like one should have to do that with a quality set of wheels. This was one year before Shimano added more spokes to the back wheel (16 just isn't enough) so I can't say if the new ones solve the problem. - How does one go from a Breezer to a Specialized? Don't they represent opposite poles in terms of philosophy and quality? Well in a way, yes, but in a larger way they are both All-American bikes; one represents high levels of engineering, idealism, and attention to detail, the other represents the ambition of big-business and their purchasing power to get the volume discounts to create so much bike for the money that nobody can attempt to compete on price alone. The bottom line is that this is a quick, nimble and sexy bike for a great price. Less of a large-box bike posing as a performance bike as much as a genuine pavement scorcher.

Similar Products Used: - Giant TCR COMPOSITE 2 - Fuji Team
beungood   Recreational Rider [May 27, 2005]
Strength:

Good build quality. Shimano Ultegra all around. Carbon fork really helped to soak up the pothole I could not avoid.

the pedal straps. I switched them out for SDi's. Wish I had auxillary center mounted brake levers

I love this bike! I bought this mainly as a training aid to cut down the amount I have to run everyday and train with a former road racer. I bought the bike as a left over. It has the full Ultegra set-up. The bike has a very lively feel and is very smooth and fast(as the motor can make it..) it's build quality,fit and finish are top notch. I had ridden a Bianchi Axis and found this bike much smoother and easier and easier to handle. Not as skittish as the Bianchi.

Similar Products Used: Bianchi Axis