Specialized Allez Elite Compact Road Bike

• Shimano 105 rear derailleur, short cage
  • SRAM PG-950 cassette, 9-speed 11-28t
  • 50x34T chainrings

beston   Road Racer [Oct 04, 2009]
Strength:

-ride characteristics
-geometry
-looks

-For the price, I was expecting slightly better components.

This review is for the 2009 Allez Elite.

It certainly is a great bike. I have switched from an 2005 allez expert that was a little too bike. The 54cm fits my 5'10" size great. After putting on a summers worth of miles, I have come to a few conclusions. First of all this bike has great ride characteristics.

-Good handling that inspires confidence.

-The geometry seems to be very comfortable to me. It has a long head tube, but you can still set up the bike in a pretty aggressive position.

-This bike will take you to your limits. It's stiff and responsive. I don't think that spending more on a bike will make you a better rider!

-I think that specialized did an excellent job with the graphics and looks of this bike.

-Components. 105 level components are a great price point groupset. But for the price of the bike, I might have expected more. I am completely happy with this set, even though it was a downgrade from my last bike (ultegra 10speed). However, at this price point, you could get a bike with more Ultegra components.

-The compact crank is nice. It's stiff and shifts well. I think a compact crank is the way to go for the vast majority of riders out there. My group rides average in the 23-24mph range and I have never run out of gears.

- I am a little disappointed with the 'faux' carbon seat post. Simply wrapping a layer of carbon around aluminum is silly and provides no benefit to the rider. This is a downgrade from previous offerings (remember the 'zert')

- Specialized has also downgraded the fork (from previous models) to have an aluminum steerer.

- The saddle was surprisingly comfortable for me. However, it's heavy in comparison to others. If it works for you, keep it.

- The wheel set is adequate. While I think you could have much better wheels on, these are perfectly fine training wheels. I did upgrade my wheels as I had a set to do so already.

I also immediately swapped out the brakes for Ultegra, so I can't comment on the specialized house brand.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy with the bike. But if I didn't get such a great deal on it, I certainly would have considered other bikes before spending retail $ on this one.

Similar Products Used: Specialized Allez Elite Int'l 2005.
Cervelo P2SL
ChazMan428   Recreational Rider [Oct 30, 2008]
Strength:

Hard to name just one as it is so much better than what I was used to. This is my first modern bike.

Brakes were great at first but have noticeably lost stopping power after about 3 months. They still stop well though. First thin I swapped out was the seat.

I started this year on an old Schwinn Sports Tourer. It was ell maintained but after a number of long rides I knew it was time to upgrade. Finding the Allez on Craig's List was destiny and saved me a bunch of money. It's an '08 that was barely used. The gears weren't even dirty! It's listed on the Specialized site as a competitive road bike even though it is not all carbon. It rides very comfortably though may not be as smooth as an all carbon bike. For what I paid, it's a great all-around bike. I've put about 1600 miles on it and nothing has gone wrong except the occasional flat. Oh yeah, the tires are the coolest looking part!

Stephan   Recreational Rider [Sep 12, 2008]
Strength:

LOOKS amazing
Excellent reliability
Fun to ride

Brakes are weak but you don't notice unless you try other brakes.

This is my first road bike and it made me fall in love with the sport. You can't go wrong with a bike like this. Good components for entry level, even the wheelset that you'll end up upgrading in the long run. I found the seat very confortable.

Similar Products Used: OCR1, Tarmac Expert, Tarmac comp
Vincent   Recreational Rider [Aug 04, 2008]
Strength:

Great buy for what you get
Low vibrations
Good components
Awesome paint
Good tech

only a 2 gears in front
seat can be uncomfy

This is a 2008 actually. Anyways, I picked this bike up to use for riding with my friends and training. It's a great bike, it rides on the road without a lot of vibrations and it very quick and responsive. This is specialized quality, you are not paying for the components as much as you are paying for the quality and technology behind specialized's bikes.

Similar Products Used: trek 1000
gatorling   Recreational Rider [Jul 20, 2008]
Strength:

Solid beginner's bike, attractive paint-job, great starter saddle (Alias), great grippy tires.

Brakes are kind of crappy, hard to get any real stoppage. I think it's time to upgrade to Dura-ace brakes (brakes on the allez are no-name)

Actually reviewing a 2008 model.
This is my first road bike so I have nothing to compare it against. The only two other bikes I test rode were a Jamis aurora (steel touring bike) and a Jamis ventura expert and sport.

The allez definitely feels much smoother than the Ventura and Sport (the zertz inserts really work!) but in the end the bike is still aluminum and can't compare to a steel bike (the Aurora) for comfort.

I have absolutely no complaints about this bike. Does exactly what it's supposed to and for the amount I paid I am very pleased.