Specialized Allez Elite Triple Road Bike

• Specialized Pavé II FACT carbon seat post with Zertz insert
  • Higher-quality, more comfortable Body Geometry Avatar Gel saddle

• User Reviews (66)

spiro spyratos   [Apr 30, 2012]
    Strength:

Lightweight E5 aluminum from Specialized is equal of lower grade carbon

Start up package a little on the heavy side, but still good

I'm different then most posters on this forum. I actually, in my heyday, owned and rode many different types of bikes, high end or otherwise. I have ridden and owned Cervelos, carbon Tarmacs, even a titanium Lynskey. While the Lynskey was my favorite (it had a sublime and supple ride that is hard to describe), it also cost close to $4k. Then came the kids. According to my wife, having three carbon bikes in my stable is ridiculous, so off they went on ebay. Anyway, back to the Specialized Apex Comp 2012. I absolutely love this ride. It is stiffer than any of the carbon bikes, except maybe the new Tarmac SL3/4's...but it costs five times less. It's fast and responds immediately to your input. I don't race anymore but I also don't feel like I'm putting off my kids' college funds with this ride. I paid $1350 for it and it lists for $1550. It is reasonably light so I don't get all the hoopla about bike weights. Any bikes in the enthusiast and upper categories will be slightly south of twenty pounds. The pros used to race on 21-22 lb machines in the eighties, so I don't get all this marketing fascination with weight and consumers willing to spend thousands so a frame shaves off 2 grams. Rubbish. Take it from me, I have ridden multi thousand dollar machines and they are maybe 5% better, at best, than this bike. I would never go back. And Specialized's R&D department claims they have stress tested this frame for 1 million miles. End of story

franklinmark101   Triathlete [Jun 13, 2010]
    Strength:

Smooth ride
    Strong bike
    Had no problems what so ever
    Can ride over 70 miles with no problems

A little heavy
    Cheap wheel set

Awesome bike! Very smooth ride on bike trails, can be a little rough on the road. Stock wheel set is heavy upgraded to new wheel set. Also up graded to a different saddle.

strohman   Recreational Rider [Apr 09, 2010]
    Strength:

Great deal for the money.
    Sharp looking bike!

Alex wheels heavy--I wish Specialized would put something nicer on this bike!

This is a great bike for the recreational rider or a first bike. You could find a cheaper bike, but you get a lot with this bike. The aluminum frame is light and responsive. The Shimano 105 components perform quite well and will do the job for the non-racer. You also get a carbon fork and seat post with the zertz inserts, which is a nice upgrade.

This bike is light, fast and fun, and it won't cost you a small fortune.

I also love the red and white paint scheme. Very sharp so you don't feel like you are riding a cheaper bike.
    I did replace the seat and wheels, but everything else is stock.

This is a very popular bike and it seems like everyone who buys one, loves it!

Rodrigo Marcato   Recreational Rider [Mar 02, 2010]
    Strength:

Quick response, good geometry, ligth and stiff.

Tiagra components. These were soon replaced by Ultegra ones.

Great frame for the begginer, can be coupled easily with better components and give you a lot of fun. Smooth ride and great cornering!

Similar Products Used: Raleigh Technium 1997
    kolincj   Recreational Rider [Mar 01, 2010]
    Strength:

Comfortable over long distances.
    Price is low.
    Quick but not fast.
    Durable and smooth.

Shaky on downhill in speeds of 30 or more mph. A little on the heavy side. Wheel set is cheap.

This is a great entry level bike for someone who is just getting into the sport. I have put over 3,000 miles on this bike in just over 3 years and it is still in great shape. Durabillity is very very good!! Most rides that I've been on it have been 60-75 miles long with numerous centuries and 150 mile rides. Comfort is great over the long rides. It is a fairly quick bike and does descent on hills. Downhills is a different story......shaky. I would recommend this bike to any enrty level or weekender looking for a durable, long lasting, comforatble, and quick ride!

alexukie   Commuter [Jan 24, 2010]
    Strength:

Going uphill is actually enjoyable

Great bike.. Took it to several 100km runs.. and it handles great.

MIKE   Recreational Rider [Jun 20, 2008]
    Strength:

Fun to ride!

Not as lite as my wifes Ruby. The front wheel doesn't like being turned too sharp when one ways 205 lbs. I found that out this week when I turned too sharp and taco'd the front wheel and had two spokes pop out. Had to take it to the shop to get it trued.

Great bike, strong! Just yesterday I ran it into my garage house when I forgot it was on top of my car. Caved in the roof of the car and smashed the back window out and the only damage to the bike was the rear wheel bearings got buggered up. Replaced the wheels with a set of Mavic's and it is as good as new.

Similar Products Used: N/A
    rob1035   Recreational Rider [Mar 02, 2008]
    Strength:

Light weight (for the price), 105 rear end runs beautifully, the new Tiagra shifters are great, the frame itself is gorgeous, stiff, and the carbon bits soak up a lot of road noise

Beautiful frame gets filthy fast, the tiagra FD needed some tweaking, the saddle is definitely something that needs to be personalized

Overall, a great first road bike. The components are good enough that it will serve well for a long time for an enthusiastic rider, but probably not for a racer or racer wannabe. I ride mountain bikes primarily, but bought this to use in the MS150 and associated training rides. Its my first road bike with carbon, and offers a fantastic ride, sharp handling and great stiffness, yet enough "give" to smooth out long rides. Compared to other bikes in the price range ($1000-1500), it is fairly well equipped, and decently light (~18lbs). I would have prefered a double up front instead of a triple, but will admit to using the granny more frequently than I thought. It is a great looking bike (Super Aguri! for the F1 fans) and get complements from a lot of riders.

Similar Products Used: Older Giant OCR1 fully aluminum
    mb801   Recreational Rider [Feb 05, 2008]
    Strength:

Frame, Fork

rims.

New to the road but this bike is awesome. I test rode a lot of bikes. Stayed patient until the LBS gave me this deal. Carbon fork and seat stays. Very nice. (For a Noob)

Similar Products Used: Cannondale, Trek, Giant.
    Bryan   Recreational Rider [Jan 26, 2008]
    Strength:

Great construction, smooth welds, 105s work great and smoothly. This bike totally exhibits strength!

None that I have found.

I had done a lot of research before I bought this bike and heard a few horror stories about this bike, but aproached the situation with an open mind. I began my search for bikes under a $1000 and kept my open mind as far as price too.

My first ride on this bike was to take it up a mountain in Palm Springs, CA and then come back down. I was sold as soon as I took off up the hill. The bike is solid, yet comfortable and responsive! To top it off I got it as a left over from 2006!

Since my purchase, I have spent many days looking at the country aboard my Allez and have not regretted it once. My friends try to get me to upgrade into a carbon bike, but I think that is useless since I am only losing 1 lb and I already own a great bike.

I took it out for the first time in month today, warmer weather made me do it, I still love it. If you're a big guy like me (5'10", 210) this bike will never give you a problem.

Similar Products Used: Trek, Raleigh, LeMond, and Motobecane!