Specialized Allez Expert Double Road Bike

Specialized Allez Expert Double Road Bike

• Lighter and stiffer E5 AEROTEC aluminum frame with FACT carbon seatstays and Zertz inserts
  • FACT Monocoque carbon fork with vibration damping Speed Zertz
  • Lighter, better shifting Shimano Ultegra 20-speed component group
  • Lighter, more durable Shimano R600 wheelset
  • Body Geometry Alias saddle with carbon reinforced base provides lightweight and comfort

• USER REVIEWS

[Feb 25, 2013]
    Andy West

Strength:

Spec, looks and comfort.

Only your own fitness!!

I have owned this bike for 6 years or so, 1500-2000 miles a year. My bike came with Mavic wheels over the Shimano, albeit a similar weight so probably has little bearing on the bike. I have always found the frame fantastic; climbing, a sprint or just a long slog it copes well with it all. Always nice to be near the end of a 100+ mile sportive and to be passing people on £6000+ bikes on this bike! Not tried it for racing, though for the recreational rider I cant fault it. Looks good too.

[Jul 12, 2010]
    Joe

Strength:

Cabon seat post, full fork, seat stays, saddle reinforcement. Full Ultegra. Nice wheels.

Mondo Pro tires (so i hear) and a bit heavy for the MSRP. (18.5 lbs on my scale)

I purchased this bike as a transition from a mountain biking past that I don't have the time or the insurance package to support anymore. MSRP was around $2300, and to get a full Ultegra bike for $700 was obviously a God moment. I sold my single speed and old mountain bike and parked this in the garage one week later. I have been begging the wife for opportunites to ride since. There is not one spec on the bike that I don't absolutely love, and the ride quality is excellent.

Klein Attitude, Specialized Langster

[Apr 04, 2009]
    srbeck

Strength:

Efficient, it's very snappy but with a very good road feel (for an aluminum bike)
    Great selection of parts, the whole thing is very reliable

I would have to agree the original tires are terrible.

Flat out cannot find a better bicycle for the money.
    I've been riding for a decade on lord knows how many bikes, two dozen?, and this has been one of the best. I've got 6000 miles on it and no complaints. Currently it's serving as my training bike and I've also got a 5500$ carbon race bike which is honestly not much faster

Tarmac SL2 & pro, Cervelo R3sl & RS, Felt F3, Orbea Orca and Opal

[Dec 16, 2008]
    beston

Strength:

looks
    specs
    stiffness

stiffness.
    I hate the Mondo Pro tires. They hold up fine, but they do not feel fast or good in corners.

Hmmm... This is an interesting bike.
    Spec wise, I love it. It's difficult to improve on full ultegra components.They don't mix-and-match here. Lots of carbon thrown in all over (seat stays, post, handle bars, fork, fork crown)!

look wise, I love it. There is something so hot about that brushed look on a bike.

Stiffness... good and bad.
    The good. When you start mashing, it responds. I can't feel any flex in the bottom bracket when I'm chasing down a break.

The bad... When I bought this bike, I immediately thought that it would be more comfortable than my Cervelo Tri bike just because all of that carbon that's been added. This is not the case. It is no where near as comfortable. The feel of the bike isn't as nice and road vibrations are felt on both the bum and hands. I thought that it might be the saddle, so I switched it with my cervelo and found no difference. I'm a little disappointed by that.

Cervelo Dual

[Mar 16, 2008]
    Bruce Sodervick

Strength:

After much personal research, I believe it is the very best bike for the buck - in that not-entry level/not-super racer range of biker.

Doesn't have the momentum (weight)for driving through strong headwinds that my 50 year old steel bikes have and who the heck cares? Also it is so exciting to ride that it increases my heartbeat rate without "stressing" my heart (from exertion) and so it is difficult to get an accurate (or valid) reading on my heart monitor! OK, so I do "excitement intervals".

After over 1000 miles I can say that this is one exciting bike! Ever been on a real spirited, strong, sensitive racehorse that's been in the barn too long? The Allez Expert feels like that! Very responsive and quick with sensitive steering. I am a small (5'6"), old (69), light (150lb) rider and the delicate handling requiring a light touch seems perfect. Also, the aluminum allows me to feel contact with the road and sense the spirit of the bike unlike carbon fiber. There's still plenty of weight shaving carbon with the fork, seatstays, and reinforced saddle base and adequate road damping with the zerts inserts. In my initial bike testing at various LBS's I felt the Allez was a winner but there were so many unfortunate levels of bike prep on the demo models that it was hard to discern what was characteristic of that particular bike and what was just a matter of good or bad component adjustment. Therefore, I'd recommend learning to maintain and repair your owm bike early on. All in all, the Allez Expert is exceptional in my book, just remember to keep your lips closed when you ride with that big grin (through bugs!).

Tested: Trek, Giant,and all the levels of Specialized Allez. Own: vintage Kalkoff, Royce Union, Releigh and Specialized Roubaix Expert, Sirrus Elite, Sequoia, and a Mongoose mtb.

[Oct 01, 2007]
    FancyPete

Strength:

Stiffness laterally. Climbing geometry. Stock parts are decent too.

Wheels. A little heavy, but can be changed so no discount on rating.

Great bike. Solid, yet supple. Not overly light but pedals fast and efficient. Comfortable on long rides. I have 2000+ miles on it and I love this bike to the extreme.

Various treks, lemonds, roubaix.

[Apr 28, 2007]
    yogi13

Strength:

Fast, responsive, climbs like a demon, rock solid on descents, handles like a dream, more comfy than aluminum frame bikes are given credit for. Full ultegra gruppo is buttery shifting, I haven't had to true the low spoke count ultegra wheels in spite of hitting potholes and riding some rough pavement.

The specialized mondo tires are grippy, roll well, but are prone to puncture and are wearing out fast. I've got 800 miles on them, and will probably have to replace them before they hit 1000.

I surprised myself when I bought this bike: I had been fixated on full carbon bikes, including tarmacs and roubaix, but tried this one on advice of LBS. Glad I did; this bike is rock solid on straights, makes me appear to be a much better climber than I am, holds a line on curves at speed, and doesn't beat you up after 3 hours in the saddle. It's fast, stiff, responsive almost to the point of twitchiness, absorbs a heck of a lot of road vibration. I find myself pushing the edge on curves and haven't been let down yet. But it's not a doctor's bike: look elsewhere if you want your bike to be the latest in carbon bling and provide a comfy, conservative ride above all else.

Specialized tarmac & roubaix; trek 2100 & 1500; Giant TCR c2/c3, OCR c3