Specialized Dolce Sport Road Bike

Headset: 1 1/8" integrated Intellaset
Front Der: Shimano Sora Triple, bottom-pull/clamp-on 31.8mm
Crankset: Specialized Comp, 30/42/52 teeth
Rear Der: Shimano Tiagra GS
Pedals: composite body, cr-mo spindle
Tires: 700 x 23c Specialized All Conditions Pro

Maura Bradley   [Oct 02, 2013]
Strength:

Good bike for Winter riding

Brake levers are large for a woman's hand rendering them inefficient for quick braking. Reach from top to bottom is too long for a smaller hand and therefore dangerous. I sold the bike on for that reason. Bike is also quite heavy.

It's a pity that a bike which is woman specific does not address the matter of the brake levers which are man sized and quite stiff.

grace   Commuter [Aug 19, 2011]
Strength:

it climbs hills well and is amazing at cruizing and gaining speed. it is light and perfect for transport.

nope!

im a 13 year old, whos 5' 8 1/2" and so its hard to finda bike that fits my hight, and my age group styling. this bike is perfect

Similar Products Used: none
Sweet Georgio   Commuter [Sep 30, 2010]
Strength:

Perfect for a women's physique.

Took the gears a while to 'bed in', and on the middle gear still sounds like it's complaining a bit.

Also could do with a few more gears for going up steep hills.

Brilliant bike for tall women who normally ride men's bikes!

I have the XL (57cm) frame, which suits my body so much more than a 56 or 58cm men's bike. It's long enough for my legs (obviously it's an adjustable seat so it's also good for shorter legged ladies) and doesn't make my back feel uneccesarily elongated.

It's fast, responsive, comfortable, lightweight, and looks god. I have always preferred the size and appearance of men's bikes, and this bike by no means looks like a pansy women's version.

rollacoasta   Commuter [Jan 19, 2010]
Strength:

Fast, lightweight, simple gear change, great handling, top bar brake levers if required, short reach, short drop, easy steering, great colour scheme.

Nowhere I can see to put a D-Lock bracket on the bike. It's a very small frame, so I think it will just hit my leg if I put it on there. So I'm carrying mine in my back-pack ;-)

I bought this bike yesterday. I commute 25 miles each day from Essex to the West End of London, and my previous bike was a Marin Larkspur hybrid. Which did the job, but the Dolce - my goodness. The difference in speed, agility, handling is amazing. I felt like I was flying this morning. It's great for shorter people as it's built for women and has a short reach and short drop. It's so lightweight I can lift it with one hand over my head to take it up/down stairs. I'm super impressed with this bike.

I read a lot of reviews comparing this bike with others in the same price range before I bought it - and I'm very pleased with my choice.

Similar Products Used: Marin Larkspur
sabra Basler   Recreational Rider [Dec 19, 2007]
Strength:

great Bike for short legged women

gears

The Bike has been good considering, but the front gears shift rough. The Sacramento store sold me Men's shoes instead of womens.. and so they were way too big. They also sold me air pump that did not have the valves that would put air in tires and on a 40 mile ride, i suffered.

Bike probably ok, the store probably charged me too much, did not catch that air pump was bad after asking for two check outs

therefore, for bike

i was over charged
store services were poor
service to get gears checked etc took 3 days

would not shop there again
and when i called on that 20/40 mile trip
where there was missing part on air pump

they were of no help and i walked a long ways!

and i was only a few miles from their shop

boycott
Sacramento

City
Bicycle
Work

is my advic e

Similar Products Used: rei
TaraTri06   Triathlete [Jul 16, 2006]
Strength:

Carbon fork and seat post, quiet, smooth gears, silver color, extra brake levers on top of handle bars, great tape, comfortable seat. EVERYTHING!

None!

I really wanted the comp (the next step up), but couldn't afford it. I am very satisfied and amazed by the entry level edition. I can't even imagine a better bike! I love the upper brake levers for riding on top of the handle bars. Everything from the bar tape down to the tires is just great! The seat is incredibly comfortable. The only upgrades or additions are: SPD pedals, water cages, a bike computer, a flat kit, and a Bento box. My next wish is for aero bars.

I am training for my first triathlon and I love riding this bike so much that I have for force myself to swim and run. My next adventure will probably be a century ride!

Similar Products Used: Trek 1000 WSD
Div   Recreational Rider [Jul 16, 2006]
Strength:

Shape and size, nice handlebars, good price.

Shifting, could use a bigger granny gear if you're in a really hilly area.

I have a 44cm 2005 Dolce, got it on sale in 2006. It's great for women with long legs but short torsos. The only problem I've had so far is that no matter how ofte nthey adjust it, the chain derails regularly. Shifting gears is often sticky and a pain. Also, I wish it came with a bigger cassette. However, for the price, it's great, and I'm really happy with it overall. I'd definitely recommend it.

sdmcgale   Recreational Rider [Jul 24, 2004]
Strength:

Entry level bike with frame sizes to fit short people with short torso; "bar phat" provides excellent cushioning on handlebars; comfortable seat; adjustable stem heights; very lightweight

Not exactly a weakness, just a note about the small frame size: in the 44cm frame size, the frame is so small there is only room for one frame-mount bottle rack and it must be a side-entry rack to accomodate a tall waterbottle.

I am 5'0" with a short torso and delighted to find an entry-level roadbike that fits. I hadn't ridden a roadbike in 20 yrs so I don't know what to say about brakes/shifters etc except they are way nicer than they used to be 20 yrs ago! The saddle is very comfortable and I love the "bar phat". I had to get a special waterbottle rack because the 44cm frame is so small I needed a side-entry rack. For a newbie the adjustable stem is also a nice feature. Initially I liked the handlebars relatively high but after several months wanted them lower. It took a few min for the shop to flip the stem over.

Similar Products Used: none
kittles   Recreational Rider [Mar 12, 2004]
Strength:

Fits those of us with girly proportions, cute, unflashy design, excellent warranty service, cheap!

First year design is a little buggy, entry-level components (on an entry-level bike)

This is my first road bike, and being a student I wanted something that wasn't too flashy or delicate but that I would enjoy riding. I also am a female with longer legs and a shorter torso, and stubby short fingers, so I accepted I was probably going to need a female-design bike (I know I could have replaced parts on something else, but that would have blown my budget through the roof). I was delighted to see that Specialized had just released a budget Dolce this year, and the good experience I had with my Specialized mtb was enough to convince me. All I needed to be up and riding was a new seat and some clipless pedals. This bike has taken me on countless adventures and I think I'll love road riding forever. Some may poo-poo the cheap components, but I haven't noticed a difference. However, disaster struck a week ago when I noticed a tiny (<1cm) crack forming in the head tube. I immediately took it into the shop where I bought it which is also a Specialized repair center, and they were absolutely wonderful and I got a call today that this is the second frame that cracked in this location, so they're re-engineering it (remember, it was new this year) and in the meantime they'll send me a Comp frame as a replacement. Wow! It was very reassuring that they took such quick action as to re-design it and I'm overall very impressed with the warranty service. The big thing is to remember that yes, the components are cheap, but you did just get a complete new bike for <$700. I'm not racing, and it's just not that important to me to be riding on the same stuff as the pros.

kperkins37   Recreational Rider [Feb 17, 2004]
Strength:

Fit & finish

Brake set, rim quality.

Nice fit for a womens ride. Comfy in the saddle, especially on longer rides. Handlebars & brake levers fit my hands nicely. Rims needed a bit of work from the dealer to take out a bit of a seam, but aside from that, the bike gets better every ride. The bike comes with pedals/clips that I replaced with clipless right away. So far with rides up to 40-50 miles, I'm happy with the choice.