Specialized Roubaix 27 Road Bike

Roubaix 27

• Specialized E5 fully manipulated Columbus SLX tubing with FACT carbon seatstays and Zertz inserts for a smooth ride
  • FACT carbon monocoque fork with Zertz inserts
  • Zertz Comp handlebar with 31.8 clamp diameter and Body Geometry Bar Phat
  • Shimano 105 9-speed drivetrain
  • FSA Gossamer MegaExo 2-piece alloy crankset

• User Reviews (34)

Karl Littau   Recreational Rider [Sep 14, 2010]
    Strength:

Handling, ride.

Unreliable wheelset. Bad customer support.

I bought a 2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert. Good Ride. Light and smooth. Handles well at speed. I expected more from the Ultegra Derailleurs, but I can live with a little noise now and again, and If I keep the chain well lubed, it actually sounds fine. The Roval Fusee wheels, however, are crap. The spoke nuts keep working completely loose especially on the rear. Can't be repaired when out on a ride and just as bad as a broken spoke. Not a warranty item according to Specialized - that's just what happens. The performance otherwise is good and it could be a sweet bike, but reliability is important to me and this bike doesn't have it.

Brian Coughlin   Recreational Rider [Sep 11, 2010]
    Strength:

Very comfortable, smooth ride

Could be a little snappier off the line

I purchased this bike recently and love it!!! I chose the 2010 Roubaix Elite Comp over the Look 566 b/c the Roubaix offered a smoother, cushier ride. I wish it was a tad snappier off the line but considering I went from a commuter to this, the speed difference is amazing. I'm riding 5+ MPH faster without any additional fatigue and haven't even installed the Look Keo 2's yet. I'm guessing new rims and tires will make the bike feel zippier, but I'm gonna use the stock stuff until I need to replace them. Other than that, I love the bike and will enjoy putting many, many miles on it. The stock setup is just fine for someone like me that rides 75-100 miles a week.

Similar Products Used: N/A
    Adam Trieschmann   Recreational Rider [Aug 15, 2010]
    Strength:

Extremely smooth and comfortable to ride. Raced professionally 10 years ago and I have never had a more comfortable training bike.

Shimano 105's did not hold up, stripped the cranks, broke a spoke and replace whole group to Dura Ace

I recently started riding again after several years off due to an injury. I am a large rider 6'4" 240 LBS and this is the smoothest ride I have ever owned. Coming off Trek and Cannondale aluminum. The frame is the best non race frame I have experienced. If your a big, or strong be prepared to buy new parts or upgrade to a better component group set. Upgrade my bike to dura Ace with Easton EC 90 Bars and stem, with Super record cranks and DA 7800 chain. This is the sweetest performance (NON Racer) the bike has some flex but is ideal for comfort and training.

Similar Products Used: Look 586 Race frame sold to stiff and far beyond skill level. Trek Aluminum Performance bike SRAM Force Group, Cannondale CAAD.
    Mike Kinney   Recreational Rider [Dec 18, 2009]
    Strength:

Great ride. Comfortable. My 16.2 lbs bike rides as comfortable as my steel Serotta at 27 lbs. Handling is precise.

Decals came loose. Frame scratches as the chain falls off small ring.

I got the 2009 Roubaix with Boonen frame. Note the offset alignment of the forks and seat stays. This allows the frame to flex around the Zert. I have 5000 miles on it. Fastest ride 22.3 mph with group. RIDE IS GREAT. This is compared my steel Serotta that Hampsten wn the Giro. I bought Campagnolo Chorus and Mavic Krysium light wheels. 53 frame came in at 16.2 lbs. Fizik Airone seat adds to comfort. The carbon handlebars are a joy. The hidden Campy cable routes within bar with comfy flats.

Similar Products Used: Litespeed for 12 years. Serotta for 10 years. Mileage reanges from 3000 to 10000 per year.
    richard hearn   Recreational Rider [Apr 13, 2009]
    Strength:

the name

shimano 105 front gear changer rubbish

specialized roubaix elite.nice looking bike great to ride, but for front mech gear changers first one broken after 104miles, second after 22miles any one had same probs.and tryin to get a repair a dam nitemare EVANS not want to no

Similar Products Used: specialized allez spot on
    John   Recreational Rider [Sep 06, 2008]
    Strength:

Components for the price

I'm not expert on this, but I think the wheels could be better.

I have been happy with my Roubaix. It has 105 front and back with carbon forks and seat post. I think it was a good deal. The bike climbs well and is great for weekend riding and tours. I can ride 20-100 miles without trouble.

Similar Products Used: Allez
    TJRider   Road Racer [Jun 24, 2008]
    Strength:

I hated hills on my old bike, now I love them w/my granny gears. Flats are amazing too. I can really pull away on the flats. Best component is the Zertz!

Some of the components are very entry level. They do the job but I may upgrade in the future.

I've had the Roubaix for almost a year, over 1,500 miles and it still performs like a champ. Now that I'm a stronger rider, I really like how it handles and how I'm able to grow with the bike. I rented a Cannondale for a week while on vacation and it's a nice bike, but no Roubaix.

Similar Products Used: Old Schwinn, Cannondale Synapse (for a week)
    phelan   Recreational Rider [Jan 01, 2008]
    Strength:

Good geometry (of course everyone's a bit different). Good overall setup and group (105s pretty much) minus the wheels and crankset. Had a FSA Gossamer (SP) installed on it instead.

Crappy wheelset! Alex Rims 400 series are dead heavy. They've held up for about 5-600 km now and once they break, i'm getting kysiriums instead.

Purchased the bike for 1400 w/pedals and shoes to boot from the Bicycle Show and got a good deal in Canada given that Tax is included. For those of you who don't know, tax here WAS 15%! First time I rode it, I fell in love with it ;) This coming from an MTB guy to road.

Similar Products Used: first road bike.
    RJHarary   Recreational Rider [Nov 08, 2007]
    Strength:

Carbon fused onto the aluminum frame everywhere! Awesome comfort level. Also Quick for a "comfotable road bike" I replaced the Saddle with the Toupe and it's amazing. The newer than 2004 ones come with Alias saddles and shouldnt need to be replaced.

A bit heavy. But not really

I have a 2004 model but for some reason thats not an option here. In any event... This bike is amazing! I ride about 45 miles at a time with guys who have custom made Sevens. I keep up no problem. There is Carbon Everywhere! Fork, Seat post, Seat stays, Headset. This is really a great bang for the buck.

Similar Products Used: Trek 1000 (doesnt come close).
    Dave Lynch   Recreational Rider [Sep 09, 2007]
    Strength:

On the road it's smooth and a real pleasure. I love the fit, a bit more upright as I have had several back issues. It climbs well and I can excellerate quickly on it, and it's beautiful to look at. For the weekend rider it might be fine, however...

On every decent that approaches 41 mph, it starts to get wobbly. If the pavement gets rough there seems the possibility one could loose control of it. At 43mph it starts to shake very unpleasantly.
    I have had my Lupa at near 50mph on more than a few occasion on rough road and I was never affraid of the bike. I question the stability of this particular model. I have contacted Specialized about this and hope for some resolution. I lack confidence in it.

Until I purchased the Roubaix, I had been loging in my miles on a 1992 Miele Lupa, a solid, though weighty ride by todays standards. Since I purchased the Roubaix I have completed 4 Centuries including the Marin ride and finished the Tour De Tahoe in a relaxed 6 hours.
    I've logged 1395 miles, so I have a good idea how it handles.

Similar Products Used: Miele Lupa, Trek 7500.