Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple Road Bike

• Lighter FSA SL-K MegaExo, 2-piece carbon crankset with 53x39x30T chainrings
  • Lighter Specialized Zertz Pro handlebar

• User Reviews (33)

RedneckRoubaix   Recreational Rider [Feb 11, 2011]
    Strength:

Relaxed geometry, handles rough pavement, great for longer distances.

(This is actually a 2010 model, but that is not an option in the drop down choices.)

I'm a 63 year old guy, 6-1, 190 with about a year of real riding experience. During that year I put about 2700 miles on two bikes, mostly a Giant FCR hybrid, and lately, the Roubaix. (About 800 miles on the Roubaix.) So, take this for what it's worth.

I cannot tell you how much I like this bicycle. I enjoyed my hybrid, but within six months I knew I was hooked on cycling and wanted a true road bike.

I plunked down $3000 and got a beautiful Trek Madone. Although I went into the shop intending to buy one with the H3 frame (relaxed geometry), I allowed the salesman to talk me into an H2 frame (standard geometry.) Big mistake on my part. I'm an old guy and I just couldn't (or may was unwilling) to stretch out that far. I think the bike was fitted properly. I just couldn't get used to it. To his credit, after a couple of hundred miles of unhappiness, the salesman allowed me to return the bike.

I took a break, and then started thinking about how much I had enjoyed riding my friend's 2008 Roubaix. I went to the local dealer and he immediately identified me as a good candidate for the Roubaix (relaxed geometry). A good test ride was all it took. Six months into the experience I am happy a clab in fresh mud. I love the relaxed geometry. (It's set up so that it isn't much different than my hybrid, but is overall much more comfortable on a long ride. More hand positions, much better ride, handles the lumps and bumps with grace. The little "zerts" (a sort of shock absorber) must really work.

I'm not fast. I average around 15 mph on a 30-40 mile ride that is mostly hills. I'm in it for recreation and exercise--and for the long haul.

I can't imagine ever wanting another bike. If anything I may someday upgrade the components if these begin to wear. For the foreseeable future, however, this bike is just perfect. I highly recommend it for anyone who wants a bike with a relaxed ride. Think about how much farther you'll go if your not worn out by the bicycle!

satinder ahluwalia   Recreational Rider [Sep 18, 2009]
    Strength:

fab all around just love this bike

none at all except wish the weather was good in the UK and the roads smoother they are crap

I was anspired by the reviews in this site and went out and bought a 2008 roubaix and am not disappointed as only got back when I turned 50 having been in to fast cars till then I have a Specialized Hybrid which really is good but wanted that special feeling and am not disappointed

Similar Products Used: Specialized Hybrid
    strictnein   Road Racer [Jun 17, 2008]
    Strength:

Super smooth. The vibration dampening/shock absorbent frame really seems to do the trick. It's light weight to me (19.2 Lbs).

Nothing really. When I was getting sized I tried an Expert first and fell in love with the Ultegra shifters (the Comp comes with 105s) but I'll survive. And I can always upgrade.

This is actually for the 2008 model. I've been a life long mountain biker so this is my first road bike. Unfortunately, where I live now is 12 miles away from about 5 different off road trails (I really don't like driving to trailheads, but I don't have time to bike there and back) so my 2008 Spec Epic Comp spent most of its time on paved trails and a small mile long section of singletrack.

Finally realized that I should really be riding a road bike, but after riding a FS mountain bike for the past year and a half, I was worried about how smooth the ride would be. The Roubaix Comp has, so far, been just awesome. Super smooth ride and more comfortable, in my opinion, than the Epic Comp. So, if you're a MTBer looking for a good road bike, this is definitely one to check out.

One note: make sure to get yourself sized properly. I read everywhere that, since I was 6'1", the 58cm would almost definitely be the proper size for me. At my LBS I got a proper sizing and measurement and, due to my proportions and flexibility, a 54cm is actually the right size. They also swapped the stem out to one that would fit my riding style better. I'm glad I got it sized, because this thing is so damn comfortable now I could cry.

lalo23   Recreational Rider [Apr 25, 2008]
    Strength:

Dark, tough guy looks. Comfortable and fast frame.

None really

This bike is a very good fit for a former mountain biker with a beat up back. It is light, pretty stiff and handles well. I tested several bikes in the $1800-$2300 range and all had strong and weak points but the Specialized Roubiax Comp was good at everything and had no weak points (except the wheels). The LeMond Buenos Aires seemed to be super stiff, so while it climbed really well, it was a little harsh. The Orbeas did not fit me but were certainly cool looking and had great components. The Giant TCR C2(?) was very fast in the flats but was twitchy in descents. The Look 555(?) was beautiful and really the best bike with the best parts that I tried. Its frame was a bit too aggressive for me and I did not want to put on a huge stem. I also rode a Torelli steel frame and was very unimpressed - heavy with no so called comfort.

I upgraded to Mavic Krysium Elites from teh Open Pro/Specialized wheels. These wheels seem fantastic - they are super light and along with the frame, really absorb road punishment. The 105 drivetrain operates absolutely flawlessly. I am not sure what you get with Ultegra other than a couple of ounces.

tim bowland   Road Racer [Oct 07, 2007]
    Strength:

Super great ride that is very smooth. Great looking. Flawless components.

Not really any.

This has been a great bike. I put 2500 miles on it without any problems. It is very comfy on long rides and great on the back. For the more upright position it still keeps a good speed. I did change out the wheel set to some FSA RD600 wheels which helped the top end.

Similar Products Used: Bianchi Brava, Lemond Buenos Aries
    Bruce Newman   Recreational Rider [Sep 02, 2007]
    Strength:

Compliant and comfortable even on long rides.

triple needs to be precisely tuned to avoid tossing the chain on down shifts.
    FSA. Clear coat over carbon fiber is easily chipped.

I am 71 and used this bike to ride two Centuries('05 and "06) at Lake Tahoe for Team-in-Training.
    Made a slight modification in gearing to accomodate the tough climbs.
    The bike is terrific in that you can ride comfortably in all types of conditions and surfaces. Very stable on downhill. Used Armadillo 28's for the centuries to avoid flats and have since switched to new 23/25 's (great tire)

Similar Products Used: Nothing close. Came off a hand made Ibis mountain bike built for me in 1986.
    S.O.D.   Recreational Rider [Aug 20, 2007]
    Strength:

Very smooth ride, yet is still stiff out of the saddle. You can put a lot of miles on before you feel fatigue.

Haven't found one yet...

Been riding this machine for a few weeks now. This thing is amazing. I've been riding the same routes I used to take my steel rig on and I feel so much better at the end of the ride. Hit a bump and it propels you forward. Awesome ride!

Similar Products Used: Trek OCLV (10 years ago...)
    linuxted   Recreational Rider [Aug 08, 2007]
    Strength:

Frame, looks, drivetrain, handlebar tape, brakes, shifting, tires and handling

I can't think of any in this price range.

I love this bike. I sold my Giant OCR1 (great bike, but I had fit issues) and went for this. I spent a lot of time trying bikes and this was my favorite. I honestly wouldn't change anything on the bike. The 105s are better than the Ultegras from two years ago imho. The 105 brakes and drivetrain really blow me away. Ride quality is great (acceleration, handling). I expect to get many years of enjoyment out of this. The wheels (Mavic Open Pro and Specialized hubs) are really nice - they are high spoke count which I realize I like more than my old minimum spoke wheels... they just feel much more solid.