Specialized Roubaix Compact Road Bike

Roubaix Compact

The FACT 6r carbon, triple-monocoque frame on the Roubaix C2 offers an all-day-long comfortable ride without sacrificing speed or agility; the vibration-absorbing Zertz inserts add an additional layer of comfort. The Specialized FACT carbon monocoque fork is full carbon—legs, crown, steerer—and Zertz inserts soak up the chatter. The4-position-adjustable Specialized Comp-Set stem is easily adjusted to match your needs; the oversized 31.8mm clamp area provides a solid steering interface. The Specialized Pro handlebars feature a short drop and ergonomic shape, for maximum comfort and control.

Jesse Howard   [Jun 08, 2014]
Strength:

lightweight, comfort, value, 50/34 Compact crank and 12-30 10 speed cassette

Wheels, Tiagra brakes

I've ridden over 3,000 miles on my Roubaix and have been very pleased with my purchase. The bike is comfortable, fairly lightweight, but not the lightest. The Roubaix is the third road bike I've owned. It is solid, great quality, and with the new ROL wheels I purchased, a great climber! The Tiagra components have held up pretty well, but now I have the itch to upgrade. I just upgraded my brakes to Ultegra and will probably do a full Ultegra upgrade before the year is over. The Tiagra is ok, but not as crisp as what I would like.

Sean   Commuter [Apr 11, 2013]
Strength:

Frame, geometry, 10sp Tiagra

Brakes...
Tiagra groupo???

Got this to replace a 4y.o. aluminium bike with a carbon fork and 105 (5600) groupo. I wanted a relaxed geometry carbon frame and this delivers that in abundance.
I am not sure that the shifting of the new 10sp Tiagra (4600) is quite as good as my old 105, and I'm sure it's a step down from the new 105 (5700). Still, after the few short rides I've been on, the rear derailleur (which has taken the most pounding) seems to shift pretty well, just a bit 'clunkier' compared to my 5600 group (IMO).
On a cosmetic note, I swapped up the (IMO) ugly Tiagra crankset for a SRAM one (I just don't like the upturned plate look of Shimano's cranksets); still a 50/34 compact. After the first ride, I also swapped out the 12-30 Tiagra cassette for a 105 12-27 for slightly closer ratios. The closer ratios seem to work better with the compact crank. If I was anymore unfit than what I am, I'd have left the 12-30 on there to give me a much lower granny gear and just dealt with the (sometimes) large jumps between some gears. I don't need that low of a gear, however, so the 12-27 is on. As fitness improves, this'll be changed out for a 12-25 or even 11/12-23 (fitness pending...)

As for other things on this bike, I don't much like the brakes. These definitely do not work as well as the 105 brakes I'm used to. These are to be changed out completely, not just the brake pads (although, guys at the LBS where I bought the bike said a pad upgrade would definitely increase the performance of the brakes. I don't want to risk anything, so I'll be putting on what I know works and what I am comfortable with).

On another aesthetic note, I don't like the Tiagra shifters. In fact, I hate them. I really don't like the indicator windows that incorporated into the top of the shifter. It looks cheap and tacky, IMO. So, my old 105s are going on. Or potentially some new 105 5700 units if funds allow.
Also to go on are new 105 5700 derailleurs front and rear--the front because a mate gave me one, the rear, because it's a black version to match my SRAM crank...

Had this particular bike not being such a 'steal' (run out 2012 stock), I'd have forked out more money straight up for a higher spec'd bike to begin with (all planned upgrades to 105 running gear are still cheaper than the difference it was to the 105-spec'd Roubaix anyway, simply because this bike had such a huge discount). This is not to say that this bike, in its stock form (Tiagra throughout with DT Swiss Axis 2.0 wheels) is a bad bike. Far from it. If this is all your budget stretches too, do not hesitate to buy it. However, I would recommend changing the brake pads for 105/Ultegra (other your preferred higher performing brand), as the brakes are the weak point in what is, IMO, a very solid upper-entry level bike.

(P.S. the price paid was $1,400 AUS)

Similar Products Used: Cell Team with 105 (5600) groupo
Paul Kind   Commuter [Jun 21, 2012]
Strength:

Comfort, Durability, Smoothness, Build Quality, Ride Quality, Great Looks (personal Opinion), Ultra Quiet, Great Value, clean precise shifts from the full tiagra 10sp groupo (surprised this was not the weakest part)

I haven't found one but Weight Weenies may want to consider a higher end model.

I just put down my first 1000 miles on this bike. I bought it after Christmas (2012 model) and now that the weather is getting decent, I have been using it as my daily riding machine to and from work about 25 round trip miles daily. This bike is plush, easy to ride fast, is very forgiving of road conditions all while being agile enough to dodge bad drivers. I deal with some real crap on the roads... pot holes, loads of debris, and insane drivers. This bike deals with it all well. I am a fairly experienced rider doing bmx and freestyle in my youth, mountain biking in my college years and now road as i'm approaching my 40's. As I am 6'6" & 250lbs I also needed a bike that was durable. I have no fear with this ride. The oversize tubes, smooth transition "welds", and graceful lines all transfer bumps and hits smooth as ice. The deer leg looking rear stays take all the rear jarring bumps in stride and just make them virtually vanish. Specialized certainly deserves the reputation they have, this bike exudes innovative design and construction quality. This and my stump jumper comp mountain bike are the 2 best bikes I have ever owned... and i've owned quite a number over the years. As for the weight weenies out there, this bike is a well struck balance of comfort, strength and weight. Anyone who tells you different just likes to waste money and believes in the mantra of "why train when you can buy speed". Save the money, learn to ride and be a better cyclist is my answer. When parts wear out from heavy use, upgrade then. The performance benefits that this bike gives for the price make it a no-brainer and because the bike absorbs so much road noise (i can attest to you it certainly does) you will be as fast (or faster) as anyone else at your fitness level. If you do endurance or commuting with your bike, look no further... get fitted and go riding. If your a rich kid/adult (i am not), or are a serious competitor (I ride because I love to ride) you may want to upgrade to higher end build but I don't think you will see much improvement (excepting weight... see above) as perfection is hard to beat. I think this bike is absolutely perfect. For the price, its better than perfect.

Similar Products Used: Been riding my whole life, too many to mention.
Jim L.   Recreational Rider [Oct 27, 2009]
Strength:

quick comfortable and very reliable

stock wheels are heavy

I bought the bike in sept.07 at handlebars in buffalo n.y. .The bike was sold to me only after careful measurements were taken and questions asked about my ridin style. In short the bike fits me perfict. This a very nice riding bike. It handles very well and after two years and over 5000 miles I have no complants. I did swap the stock wheels at first with nuvations till they broke and then with ultegra hubs laced to cxp 21 rims all is perfict.

douginwa   Recreational Rider [Aug 19, 2009]
Strength:

Good quality

not yet

This is my first new bike in a long time. I've taken up cycling to take care of an arthritic knee. I had been riding a 1980's vintage Takara 12 speed. When I decided to upgrade I wasn't sure where to look first. After consulting several friends I started hitting my LBS's and riding everything I could. I never imagined that I would buy a carbon bike, but after riding one I didn't see how I could not. I'm 6'1" and weigh 210 and this thing felt awesome under me. A perfect fit. The biggest quandry I had was whether to go triple or compact double. After riding both I just could not find any advantage in the triple. Besides, the shop I ended up buying from (Gregg's Cycle in Bellevue) was the best I had found in terms of helpful and knowledgeable people.So far, I've put ~100 miles on it and it is very comfortable, responsive, handles well and climbs great!

DZfan14   Road Racer [Jul 11, 2009]

This bike performs as advertised. It's very smooth and it corners well. The wheels it comes with are atrocious however. I upgraded to Easton EA 90 SLXs. If you are serious about riding and you buy this bike then you should factor in that you'll need to upgrade the wheels unless you have the wheels you already.

JuanVerde   Recreational Rider [May 06, 2009]
Strength:

Frame, shifters, derailluers

wheelset, seat post (carbon wrapped...what's the point)

This is my first "new" road bike. Had it narrowed down to this or a closeout Tarmac. I ended up with this one because it was used once and much cheaper than the Tarmac - got it for $1400. The frame is truly very comfortable, the tarmac definitely has a crisper, quicker feel to it. The Roubaix is definitely growing on me. The more I get used to it, the better it corners. Very stable. I'm a decent sized kid @ 195lbs and don't notice any flex when mashing on the pedals. The standard wheelset that comes stock seems heavy and flexy...seems harder to spin up to speed than it should. I've tried a set of aksiums off my wife's bike with a little improvement. Shifters work well together... Still getting used to the compact set-up - not sure what it is but it just seems to have a different feel than my old double had. Overall, my first impressions are quite favorable. In the near future, I'll be upgrading the wheel set and then maybe a seatpost and saddle - other than that, it should be a really fine ride.