Specialized Roubaix Elite Triple Road Bike

Roubaix Elite Triple

• Lighter, stiffer, more vibration-damping FACT 6r carbon triple monocoque frame
  • Lighter, smoother shifting Shimano 105/Ultegra component group
  • Lighter, smooth-riding ALX 298R high performance wheelset

• User Reviews (50)

therugman   Triathlete [Apr 18, 2010]
    Strength:

see review

see review

Thought i would post my experience. I got into cycling 3 years ago ...purchased a mercier tri bike via ebay. ...decided to upgrade this year, did my research, did a few short test rides ...went with the specialized roubaix elite with compact double and 11/27 (we've got a lot of mountain routes in boulder, colorado). ...the bikes always feel good in the shop.

started to do my typical rides ...and things did not go well. it felt like i was towing my kids in the burley behind me. my quads were dying. i was dying. ok, i thought, maybe just a week or so getting used to bike ...

so i went back to the shop - made some fit adjustments ...tried the rides again - same result. friends dropping me like a bad habit, bonking ...etc. Out-of-shape friends dropping me! ...went to another shop - tried a few more adjustments - same results - dead tired, starting to not enjoy riding. getting worried because i signed up for the triple bypass in july and climbing was wiping me out -- even "short" climbs.

this continued ...took bike to my pro neighbor ...took bike to neighbor who makes bikes ...same result.

finally - gave up. 5 months of tinkering with little to no improvement. traded bike in at another local shop. this shop allowed me to test bikes on my local routes ...routes with 9+% grades etc.

First bike: specialized tarmac (maybe i just got a bad roubaix) ...well, i had the same feeling with the Tarmac - just dead and no spunk - no go.

next up Scott (Addict R1(out of my leauge), R2, CR1). when i got on some Scott bikes - YES - there's the feeling, there's the ease, there's the "pop". ...settled on the Scott Addict R2. did my normal rides ....13 minutes faster over 30 miles on the scott vs. roubaix. climbs: not dead, FRESH on the climbs. this is how it's supposed to be!

so - i just wanted to let folks know - that sometimes the geometry does not work. from what i've read - i might be the only guy out of a 1000 that the roubaix did not work for. who knows if it was geometry, stiffness, aggressiveness, whatever - it did not work but the scott does. movin' on and moving forward and liking biking again.

Similar Products Used: see review
    Alvie Perkins   Recreational Rider [Mar 13, 2010]
    Strength:

The shifting of gears.

None that I have found

Realy enjoy the carbon frame and the ease of shifting. It seems to handly great at speeds of 30 plus.

Similar Products Used: N/A
    bikebikebike   Triathlete [Aug 22, 2009]
    Strength:

components.

none to speak of

no real complaints about the bike. It's served me well. However, I'm getting more serious about racing so looking for something a bit swifter.

nwjeff   Commuter [Jul 04, 2009]
    Strength:

Smooth ride, smooth shifting, fun to ride

Wished I would have gotten a double instead of a triple, specialized seat uncomfortable (it hurt), wheelset

This is for a 2004 Triple. Have been riding this bike for the last 5 years in SOCA and Seattle. Love the ride and am pleased with the bike. When I bought the bike I did not know much about cycling but talked with the shop and read some reviews.

This bike has been put through a lot from long rides to numerous crashes. Does great in traffic smooth and quick. I really like the looks of this bike silver and black and honestly am so glad I bought this bike when I did. One day will buy up but till that time am happy with this beautiful bike with a great ride.

scotterpop   Commuter [Jun 09, 2009]
    Strength:

-Road-noise eating full carbon
    -long-ride comfortable geometry
    -full Shimano 105

I don't have enough experience to claim any.

First, this review is for a 2009 Compact Double.
    Second, you should know that I am 6'7" and weigh in at about 230 pounds, age 33. I hadn't ridden a bike much at all for 15 years when I started bike occasionally commuting on my late 80s mountain bike last year. So, I was out to improve my efficiency and enjoyment of riding by upgrading to a road bike.

This bike and the Wilier (also full carbon) both exhibited the fantastic road-smoothing feel of a full carbon bike, and I think I would have been happy with either one. I found the Wilier at the first bike shop I went to, and just wasn't ready to spend $2k+ on a bike yet.

The Trek models, and the Allez all felt squishy when I stood up and started cranking to get up to speed. Virtually all of them felt twitchy, and I could even feel the wheels flexing under me on the Treks.

The Trek 2.3 and Allez both would have been sufficient if I was more concerned about price and willing to feel every vibration in the road. However, the more I test rode these bikes (and others)...the more I realized a huge difference in power on the full carbon bikes.

In the end, I chose to spend more for a setup that had sufficient components that I wasn't concerned about them and a frame that absorbed the constant bump and vibration of my 11 mile commute.

A few specific choices involved:
    1) Components. I rode several bikes with Sora or Tiagra shifters, and the amount of play in the shifters before they engaged was just ridiculous. Once I test rode Sora, Tiagra and 105 back-to-back, I lost faith in the Sora and Tiagra components.

2) Power transfer. I have a fair bit of leverage and weight to throw into some pedal-mashing, and when I threw it into the full carbon bikes...they flew. I could literally feel the bike leap with each pedal stroke. On the other bikes, I could feel the frame (or even wheels) flex and drain the power before it got turned into speed.

3) Vibration damping. It's just no contest. Going to portions of carbon, and adding zerts (on the allez) definitely help. Going full carbon takes yet another leap in ride comfort. In this case, you absolutely get what you pay for.

4) Fit. I was concerned about being able to fit on a 61cm bike. I searched for over a month to find 63cm+ bikes to ride, and had to "settle" for riding 61 and 62 sizes.

Ultimately, I ended up on a 61, and it's just fine. I'm not past maximum extension for the seat or seat post, and the Roubaix just feels like a natural extension of me when I ride.

If you're a larger rider like me, the absolute best advice I can give you is to deal with a Local Bike Shop instead of a big chain. They'll spend more time helping you fit the bike for test rides and you'll then be able to truly judge the differences. The big chains will raise and lower the seat, but don't expect much more.

One final note. I did pass up a previous-year closeout on a 64cm Roubaix Expert because I didn't like the service at the shop that had it, and the 61cm Elite was $500 less (even after the 64 was on closeout!) and the fit works.

Similar Products Used: I rode: Trek 1.5(64cm) & 2.3(64cm), Wilier Mortirolo(61cm), Specialized Allez (61cm), and several others that were not memorable for various reasons
    RRRoubaix   Recreational Rider [Jan 18, 2009]
    Strength:

Excellent bike for the price. The frame is amazing. The components are a good compromise of performance vs price.

None, really, although probably doesn't have that snobby cache' that many roadies seem to aspire to...

This is for the 2008 Specialized Roubaix Elite Compact.
    I love this bike, it's comfortable enough that I can ride on consecutive days with no problem... yet is plenty stiff, light and handles very well.
    I bought this bike to get myself back into biking after many years away. I wanted something more on the "comfort" side of the spectrum, but that wouldn't be a compromise.
    The frame is quite stiff, but very forgiving. It is surprisingly comfortable over bumps and potholes. Apparently the carbon frame and "Zertz" technology are the real deal.
    This is a fantastic bike for someone like me, getting back into riding, or maybe even beginners who want a good bike, not a "beginners bike".
    I haven't done any "light offroading" with it yet, but having been a mtn biker in a previous life, feel confident that this will handle it w/ no problems.
    I have a lot of hills where I ride and sometimes find myself wishing I had a triple crankset- but I just need to ride more and get stronger.
    The components are fine for this level of bike, but I am considering some upgrades. Fortunately the frame is good enough to justify the expense.
    Maybe the best thing about this bike is that it's made road riding so enjoyable that I want to ride it as often as possible!

Similar Products Used: None.
    nick   Commuter [Sep 27, 2008]
    Strength:

very smoth ride:)relaxed geometry.

what can i say that is not ready told,i love this bike,not allways that fun to go to work:)but this bike makes the day:)sorry i cant help out more about details,maybe i will switch the 105 to sram someday,but that is mostley because im curios about sram,and if i win the lottery i will go for more expensive shimano wheels,the frame is worth it.

Similar Products Used: italian steel-trek1500
    Haselsmasher   Recreational Rider [Aug 27, 2008]
    Strength:

Handling. The best way I can describe this is that it's like riding on rails.

People complain about the wheels. The bike overall is such an improvement for me I can't implicate the wheels per se, however I have been looking at replacing them. Stock tires were pretty crappy. I had a major blowout at about 1300 miles.

I just love this bike. I'm not an expert nor have I ridden a lot of the "current technology" bikes. I bought this to replace my 1988 Trek 400 steel beast. Riding the Roubaix is just astounding. It's so smooth and handles so well. Bumps don't loosen my teeth like the old Trek did.

cslayton   Recreational Rider [Jun 11, 2008]
    Strength:

Very comfortable and responsive

Most stock parts did not suit me, but they were fine for the price paid.

Said I would shut up at third review, but I think potential buyers may find some value in a 5000-mile report, since this frame now shows on sale on eBay.

Now that this bike is very personalized for me, I can tell you that the stock frame and seatpost are still outstandingly comfortable. It is true that I changed out most everything else, but I am a Campy man, and the Mavic brakes were just a good and far less expensive than Campy. I am an old hard butt, so the newer saddles are not for me, even with the weight savings, but I thought that the Avatar and Alias were fine, if you like that sort of saddle. I am a big fan of Neuvation products, and the stock wheels were the first thing to go. Remember, I am NOT commenting on stock on ay model newer than 2005.

This is a great riding bike, I use a rack trunk because I commute to work, but even with the trunk it is sprightly and easy to maintain. Plenty of little chips in the clear coat, but the subdued color scheme has held up well.

This is one of the few bikes still sold with a triple as a feature, and though I did not buy mine as a triple, I put my review here because I ride it as a triple. I may go back to a compact double in the future, there are truly a lot of crossings and duplications with the triple and finding long cage derailleurs may become in the future, since triples are barely hanging in the marketplace, but if you are looking for a comfortable bike to eat up the miles and not get beat up, this is a wonderful bike, and the newer models should be investigated if you cannot find one of the older frames or are not comfortable with anything not brand spanking new.