Specialized Roubaix Expert Compact Rival Road Bike

• Crankset: SRAM Rival OCT
  • Saddle: Specialized Toupe Gel
  • Seat Post: Specialized Pro SL

aaron ivanushka   Road Racer [Jun 09, 2009]
Strength:

light for a ultegra bike. comfortable. absorbes road vibrations very WELL!

seat thats stock feals like my boss is up my a@s

2008 roubaix expert compact w/ ultegra sl. a good starter bike! the frame is top notch well made and WILL take ANY abuse without complaints. it does flex a little if you have muscle but it isnt enough to upset you. the 2009 i belive improved this. the ultegra sl is a good average group though i have always felt ultegra should be lighter or shimano should place a inbetween group back like the sante but better lol. the wheels are heavy but btute tough. i actually sat on a ultegra sl rim mind you with no spokes or anything and it stood up to my big a@s. so the wheelset is a good urban combat set of wheels. like i said a good starter bike that you can upgrade and have a superbike. handling is good its no colnago but its still good. for the money its the best bike ive seen in a while.

Similar Products Used: cannondale r600, faggin, specialized allez.
goooo   Recreational Rider [Apr 24, 2009]
Strength:

--the ride
--the SRAM double tap system
--looks (the 07 is red/white with Mavic Ksyrium Elites)

--stock Specialized Roubaix tires
--front derailer needs to be set perfectly otherwise it will be tough to shift from up to the big ring

This is my first road bike (if you don't count my 1971 Schwinn Super Sport). I tested a Trek Madone, a Kestral, a Felt and a Fuji. I even hopped on a Specialized Tarmac. Not being a hardcore rider and coming from the fat tire world, the Roubaix felt right and that's what I think it's really all about if you're going to spend hours in the saddle.

The only thing I disliked about this bike were the stock Roubaix tires. They were very prone to flats and they were wider than normal road tires (for the cobbles, I guess) so whenever I needed to remove a wheel--when fixing a flat or putting it on the car rack--it was a PITA to get the tire past the caliper (yes, I turned the dial to open the caliper). It was ridiculous--I'd have to remember to pump the tire up after mounting it on the fork. Also, the SRAM Rival front derailer needs to be adjusted more often than I'd prefer (comparing it to my XT cranks on my mt. bike). But that's about it as far as negatives. This bike is great for climbing. The macho roadies will give you grief for riding with a compact crank, but those are probably the same guys who trick out their cars with race parts but have never tracked it. It really is comfortable too. I did a 150 mile ride and was not sore at all. I really like this bike! You should at least test it and give it a shot before passing on it because it's not a "hardcore" race bike. And no matter what bike you decide to buy, get it fitted--this probably pays a big role in my enjoyment of this bike too.

Similar Products Used: I've only tested a Specialized Tarmac, Felt (can't recall the number), Kestral, Fuji and Trek Madone. Never owned a CF road bike until now.
dk.va   Recreational Rider [Aug 29, 2008]
Strength:

Smooth shifting, responsive, relatively light, relaxed posture (seat is level with bars), easy switch between relaxed and agressive riding stance.

Stock saddle is nice but had to replace due to brusing after first 20 mile ride.

This review is for the 2008 model. I'm relatively new to road biking. Before buying this bike I test rode a Seven Alaris (Ultegra) and a Trek Madone 5.2. I really liked the Seven, but the Trek had shifting problems, chain rattle, and wasn't very responsive. I rode the Specialized and fell in love with it. It is very comfortable to ride (once I replaced the saddle), quite responsive, shifts smoothly/quietly, and climbs very well. The bike weighs around 17lbs with pedals, which is handy as I live in a 3rd story apartment. I'm very happy with this ride and may stick with Specialized when I decide to upgrade. I've already put in 200 miles over 2 weekends. Very nice ride.

Similar Products Used: Trek Y-Foil
39n, 121w   Recreational Rider [Aug 03, 2008]
Strength:

Ride, components, aesthetics

saddle - sold it on ebay and replaced it with a Fizik Aliante
tires - seemed slow and gummy replaced them with Continentals

This review is for the 2008 Specialized Roubaix Expert with Ultegra SL.

To sum it up: Great ride - smooth through the bumps and handling that is quick but not too quick. Nice paint and aesthetics. Excellent descender - the long wheelbase really lets the bike carve the downhills. The Ultegra SL works superbly. Lighter then my last bike - it weighs in at 18 lbs. with pedals.

Similar Products Used: 1998 - 2008 - Custom steel
1987 - 1998 - Trek 2000
1985 - 1987 - Biachi Alloro
1983 - 1985 - Trek 510
joey_zasa   Commuter [Jul 18, 2008]
Strength:

COMFORTABLE!!
Fast
Good componentry (full ultegra gruppo)
Looks Sexy

Wheels could be lighter.

VERY comfy bike. I rode several carbon frames and this bike craps all over them in terms of comfort. I was close to buying the Giant TCR1, but chose the Spesh (despite the $1000 price difference) simply because it was far more comfortable due to geometry.

Similar Products Used: Giant TCR1 - 2007
chicken   Recreational Rider [May 09, 2008]
Strength:

Fast AND comfortable with a stable ride.

Bike is a lot better than I am.
I admit that I am the weakness with this bike.

Getting there fast AND refreshed no matter your distance. Specialized redefined the "plush" category with this ride.

Similar Products Used: 1989 Schwinn Tempo
leigh   Recreational Rider [Apr 13, 2008]
Strength:

light weight.
easy geometry.
ultegra gear.
Great looks.

What a lovely bike! I ride on fairly rough roads and the carbon frame with its zertz inserts just smooth out the high frequency road chatter beautifully.The ultegra running gear is smooth and reliable.The bikes relaxed geometry ensures an easy, comfortable ride

billn   Recreational Rider [Nov 02, 2007]
Strength:

FAST and COMFORTABLE. Those two do not have to be contradictory at all.
The SRAM Rival gruppo is amazing. Lighter and more reliable than Ultegra.

I had a problem with one of the bottle cage bosses - it was defective and was spinning free in the seat tube, but it was fixed perfectly by my lbs (Peddler in Memphis)

This bike is simply fantastic.
I read a LOT of reviews and spoke to every bike shop and wrench in town before making up my mind. I test rode a considerable handful of other bikes before pulling the trigger on this one, but I am glad that I took my time because I am completely convinced that this is truly "Best in Class", and in many ways the ONLY one in its class.

I prefer long rides - 45+ miles mostly and I do metric centuries and centuries (is that right? 100 milers) as often as I can. This bike gets me through everything ready to ride again the next day.

I recommend purchasing high in the product line on the Roubaix. I believe that the Expert is the best spot - you get the top of the line frame (they do differ a little bit up and down the product line) with the second best carbon offering and the fantastic SRAM Rival group. The 'dogbone' seat stays and fork look really cool and seem to improve the ride quality. I upgraded the wheels at the time of purchase. Not because I really needed to, but because I knew I would want to do it soon. The ride is simply amazing. I can keep up with everyone in town, and I feel fresh at the end of the rides.

Similar Products Used: Specialized Tomac, Trek Madone, Orbea Orca, Litespeed, Pinarello, Look, Cervelo, Giant