Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact Road Bike

Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact Road Bike

The smoother, faster Roubaix SL3 features a super light and stiff FACT 10r carbon frame with our uniquely shaped, tapered head tube, In-Zertz vibration dampers and full internal cable routing—the same frame construction that won the grueling Paris-Roubaix race. The Expert features Shimano Ultegra compact drivetrain and our new DT-Axis 3.0 wheels for lower weight and higher performance.

[May 28, 2013]
Tracie B

Strength:

This bike is so comfortable, I cannot believe it. Everything is great.

Shifting is taking me some getting used to, I have had a triple in the past.

This bike rocks. What else can I say? I purchased it on Saturday and was riding on Monday. As a beginner, I usually fatigue easy, or at least I did when I was riding my Trek Madone 4.5, the worst bike out there for comfort. I rode 20 miles on Monday and had no fatigue whatsoever. I couldn't believe how great I felt. I have also had back issues on the Trek and although I still have some pain, it was minor in comparison. I am hoping my upcoming bike fit is going to solve that issue. I am going to attempt a half century this coming weekend on this beauty. I am in love!

Trek Madone 4.5 WSD and Windsor Fens (both 52 cm)

[Mar 01, 2013]
Devastazione

Strength:

Light,stiff,looks good,feels solid,very comfortable.

Internal cable routing issues,stock wheels are useless,a bit slow upon acceleration.

My first road bike and I know I would have been very satisfied by it. The bike looks good and you can ride it for hours without feeling tired at all. The oem bar position is way too comfy,it makes the bike feel like a cruiser,just get rid of a couple of spacers and you'll be ok. Shame on Specialized for not taking care of the well known internal cable routing issues that made the rear derailleur shifting a total disaster !!! I had to buy the the kit Specialized offers to fix the problem with my own money and I've replaced the lousy Jagwire cables with the Shimano SIS SP 41 Dura Ace ones aswell. The bike now shifts perfectly but that was 80 Euro extra out of my pocket.
Also,as of typical of Specialized on their mid end bikes wheels are usually crap and on this bike they were no excecption. Replaced them with a sets of Shimano Dura Ace c24 and the bike now flies.
I've been lately playing with the idea of upgrading to a Tarmac but honestly I love my Roubaix. She's a great performer,road buzz is kept to a minimum and the bike is capable of some serious speeds when asked to. Too bad the longer chainstays makes it a bit sloppy on acceleration but at least they payback is sharp,"safe" handling on fast turns.

[Dec 15, 2012]
Jeff Thatcher

Strength:

SL4 frame. Matte black, grey and powder blue finish. Ultegra groupset. New-style Zertz inserts.

Stock wheels, tires and saddle (have replaced all three)

This is a review for the 2013 Specialized Roubaix Expert SL4 Compact. This is the third Roubaix I have owned -- all Experts -- (the others were 2007 and 2009 models) and is by far the best in terms of overall speed, cornering, weight, acceleration and looks. I also have a 2012 Specialized Tarmac Pro SL4 DI2 and was totally sold on the SL4 frame, so added the SL4 Roubaix Expert to my stable. I have not been disappointed in the least with my latest addition.

This model Roubaix is no longer a "comfort" bike; it's built for speed and agility. Hills are easy, flats are fast and corners require no braking whatsoever (that was not the case with my previous Roubaix models). I swapped out the heavy and sluggish stock wheels and tires (DT Swiss and Specialized) for Ksyrium Elites and Vittoria Rubino Pro 25 mm and also changed out the stock Specialized saddle for a Selle Italia Turbo Gel.

The SL4 frame is incredibly light and responsive. The matte black, grey and powder blue finish is perfectly understated. The new-style Zertz inserts soak up vibrations and look much classier than their predecessors. The Ultegra groupset with a compact 50/34 crankset completes this fine machine.

This is an excellent bike all the way around in terms of value and quality for the price point.

[Oct 12, 2012]
missilistico

Strength:

frame and groupset (with reservations)

wheels

my main previous ride was a giant defy advanced 3, full carbon with an alloy steerer. after four years, i traded up to the roubaix and felt like rip van winkle waking up to a new world. the precisoin, smoothness and most of all power transfer of the sl3 is astonishing. every inch of the pedal stroke is converted into forward motion. my giant defy was a good bike for its time, but it's a jalopy compared to this thing. tracks stable on the flats, and with a set of conti 4000s's and ksyrium elites on it the bike climbs like spiderman on drugs. it's a phenomenal machine.

giant defy 3,

[Aug 23, 2012]
Dave, Glendale, AZ

Strength:

Ultegra groupset, Toupe+ saddle, stiff BB/frame

DT Swiss wheelset

Been riding older Roubaix for few years, upgraded to SL3 for the stiffer frame. This model definitely has that, especially in the bottom bracket. Excellent power transfer for climbing/acceleration. Even with the stiffer frame, the bike still has a pretty compliant ride, but there is a bit of a trade-off. Short drop handlebars are comfortable, and the Specialized Toupe+ saddle is a nice surprise with the right chamois/shorts. Ultegra drivetrain has always been my fav, and the new 6700 group doesn't disappoint. The frame also seems to be pretty aerodynamic, as I downhill 2-3 MPH faster on this bike than my Scott CR1, but might be lower profile. Only disappointment is the wheelset, much rougher/slower/dead-feeling ride before swapping to my Shimano RS80 wheels. I demo'ed this bike overnight so knew that going in. Bottom line, this is a comfortable bike that can go very fast and isn't afraid of a climb. Its come a long way since my 2004 Comp, first year for carbon Roubaix.

Scott CR1 Team, Specialized Roubaix Comp

[Jun 11, 2012]
Blowingsky

Strength:

Does everything well for a fast, comfortable and rock solid endurance bike. Looks good, great design - everything counts.

Probably unfair to criticize the colors as they were put together with a lot of thought ( black, grey and red, with white letters and a shiny clear coat) but I wish I had the option of a flat matte grey on black.

Spent years on a Specialized Sequoia (2006) but only put 2500 miles on it total. This was the alum frame with the carbon fork and seat stays. Moving up to the Roubaix set me on fire. It rekindled my love of cycling and it aligned the dream I've had since I was a kid to have a really high end bike...with the reality of actually getting one finally (I'm 63) and having it be everything I've wanted. I'm not in shape, so I'm doing mountains on weekends to increase my energy production and this bike is helping me get fit fast.

[Jun 11, 2012]
Naptime

Strength:

Responsive
Stiff but comfortable on longer rides
No more hand buzz

I could have bought a really nice camera instead.

Got back into cycling after a 10 year hiatus. Did a metric century easily after about 200km total training. Also looked at comparable Trek and Cannondale bikes - but was hard to find a 52 cm frame available locally with the Ultegra or Rival components I wanted. Quiet ride except the freewheel when coasting. Haven't noticed any problems.

[Apr 27, 2012]
Richard Owen

Strength:

Frame, Ultegra components

Wheels

Purchased the 2012 model in February. After about 150 - 200 miles started hearing popping or cracking noise. Bike shop diagnosed as rear wheel. Specialized replaced both wheels, but didn't have the ones for the white frame, had to go with those for the black/red frame. Again, after 150 plus miles, same REALLY annoying popping/cracking noise from rear wheel. Waiting to hear from Specialized as to next step. Anyone else have this problem?

Love everything else about the bike, but this wheel problem needs to be resolved. I can't imagine there are not others who have had same experience since I have incurred it twice.

[Feb 13, 2012]
Tauntonian

Strength:

Great accerleration and power tranfer ... couldn't be happier.

Price - a little expensive.

I went to the LBS to look at the new Allex's. After telling the saleperson what kind of riding I do, he suggested I look at the Roubaixs. I wasn't going to upgrade to a carbon fiber bike until after I rode the Roubaix. I could not believe the differance between the ride of my steel Allex and the ride of the carbon fiber Roubaix. I then rode a the Trek Madone and the Cannodale Synapse . After doing some shopping and some research, I decided the Roubaix Expert (Full Ultegra) was the one for me. I pulled off the tires and put on Mitchlen Pro Race IIIs and have been in my glory since

Trek Madone 5.x and Cannodale Synapse

[Nov 03, 2011]
Charlie Mccarren

Strength:

I ride max 60 miles, stiff bike it does every thing right. i have more power to the pedales that my old roubaix.

Great bike, My wife and I ride Specilized road bike. We have owned four, we keep upgrading.

2006 roubaix 30,000 plus miles