Specialized Ruby Comp Road Bike

Specialized Ruby Comp Road Bike

Specialized FACT 7r carbon, triple monocoque frame with Zertz seatstay inserts
Specialized FACT monocoque carbon fork legs, crown and steerer with Zertz
Specialized Pro-Set lightweight stem
Smoother shifting, lighter Shimano 105, 10-speed group
FSA Gossamer MegaExo, 2-piece compact crankset
Specialized All Condition Pro, 700 x 23c tires
Specialized Pavé, FACT carbon seatpost with Zertz insert

[May 10, 2008]
minan

Strength:

Light, absorbs vibration (carbon/zertz), great up hills, 105 gruppo does the job.

Comes with a really dorky huge saddle. I think the new models have a much better saddle. Also, I also have come to appreciate the geometry that a bike with 650c wheels could afford me and I wish that Specialized offered an XS version with 650c and a more relaxed seat tube angle. For that matter, I wish they made a TT bike (the Transition) that fit me too!

I have no regrets spending $2200 on this bike, which was my first ever road bike. I tried different Specialized bikes and believe me, the extra money is well worth it especially if you are going to do long rides on a regular basis, or are starting to do organized rides or races, whether road or tri. The Ruby was the first bike that I found to fit me (I am 4'9") that had 700c wheels and was also a quality bike. I do road racing as well as triathlon and it has served me well in both sports. I like the zertz inserts that soak up the road vibration - it makes a huge difference in road "feel" compared to my aluminum Specialized bike, which has a carbon fork but had a harsher ride that I noticed esp over 50+ mile rides. I love riding the Ruby especially over longer distances because it is just flat out more comfortable. But it is definitely a speedy bike, on flats and hills, and I liked the Shimano WH-560 wheels it came with - except for the bladed spokes, which made me tip over more in high wind (I am also <100ln). When I traded the wheels out for regular spoke Neuvation wheels, it made a big difference. Now I ride the Ruby with aero bars and zipp 404s and it's an OK setup for triathlon - but I would really rather get a custom TT bike if I had the dough.

Specialized Dolce Vita 2005

[Jan 03, 2008]
JJ Fussell

Strength:

Everything! Please see my summary

Weakness.............. maybe the rider, but not for long

I am so pleased with my purchase. I am 60 years old and decided I would get exactly what I wanted... and why not. Shifts like butter, rides like a dream, handles beautifully and is good looking to boot. I'm 4'11" and the XS size fits like a custom bike. I'm thrilled that it has the 700 wheels. I feel like a real adult!!

Trek 1.2 . Is not even close to the Ruby

[Sep 28, 2007]
aggiealum2

Strength:

light, fast, smooth and responsive

price

The bike's actually a 2008--didn't have the '08 option. It's light, fast, smooth and responsive--a totally joy to ride.

Rockhopper A1 Comp
Trek 1000 (demo'ed)
Giant OCR1W (demo'ed)
Dolce Elite (demo'ed)
Dolce Comp (demo'ed)
Ruby Elite (demo'ed)

[Mar 17, 2007]
Jesse George

Strength:

weight, componentry, overall a very fast bike.

ride is a little stiff thats about it.

this is an entry level time trial/triathlon bike with aluminum frame and carbon forks. it came with ironman carbon stryke aero bars, shimano dura-ace shifters and rear deurailer, shimano sram chain and ultegra brakes and cranks. The only mods I have made is to switch out the carbon seatpost for a thompson elite aluminum zero setback seat post. I am very satisfied with the componentry. The ride is great it is a little stiff but it's expected from an aluminum bike. The frame is a semi aero frame resembling that of a cervelo. This bike is light and fast.

I have ridden the 06' model cervelo dual with the ultegra package and they are quite similar.

[Feb 19, 2007]
gottaluvhills

Strength:

Light, solid components, zertz inserts dampen vibration.

None so far.

This bike was purchased for my wife who is just started riding about 6months ago. She is a petite rider at 4'11" and the bike fits her perfectly. The Shimano 105 components are solid and the carbon fram with the zertz inserts provide her a comfortable ride. The bike is smooth, fast, and comfortable...everything she needs.