Specialized S-Works Roubaix 2009 Road Bike

S-Works Roubaix 2009

jerome   Road Racer [Nov 21, 2009]
Strength:

confortable, secure, strongly build, overall quality and engineering

not responsive, dull, sluggish, lack character and stiffness

I have owned all type of bikes from steel, aluminum, titanium, stock and custom frames with more or less fortune. But this bike is far being my first pick . It has no personality, the feedback is dull, not good anywhere not bad also.
Good if you are looking for an all around bike and if you riding once a week without having any other workout. not for a weekend warrior ready to hammer all she or he has.
Great for cruising at medium speed.

Similar Products Used: Seven Axiom, Serotta legend, tarmac SL2, IF, Scapin Steel
henrus   Recreational Rider [Jan 07, 2009]
Strength:

Smooth ride, yet stiff enough for quick acceleration, a thing of architectural beauty, comfortable.

None.

This is the new, '09 S-works Roubaix SL2 (menu options for this site need to be updated). Purchase prices was for the frameset only. This is an awesome bike. I haven't had enough time with it to really do a thorough review, but I'm just floored by it. I guess I may be in the "honeymoon phase" still, but this is a great bike. My previous bike was a Scott CR1 with Campy Chorus all around (compact gearing), and I transferred everything over after i wrecked that bike in my garage (forgot the bike was on the roof of my car thing). Compared to the Scott, the bike is less "twitchy", and feels much more stable and compliant. A real pleasure on the roads where the pavement breaks up. I can see myself riding it for hours. I'm not sure if it's as quick as the Scott off the line, but it feels like a much better balanced machine (for me anyway. i have a gut still so the more relaxed riding position helps). Definitely recommend it.

Similar Products Used: Scott CR1 Pro, Specialized Allez Double
Rod French   Triathlete [Dec 15, 2008]
Strength:

Stiffness, comfort, light weight, secure handling, great looks. Is there anything else?

Not cheap.

Roubaix 2008 SL2 Gloss Carbon/white. A swoopy, scuptural work of art. Only got 100 miles on before the damn snow and salt, but it is a revelation. Massively stiff, remarkably soft ride. My comparison is a Waterford R33, which I also love. But it's twichy; you don't want to zen ride on that bike. Ben's Cycles gave me a fantastic deal on the SL2 module ... frame, fork, headset, crank and seatpost (and they swapped out the Roubaix seatpost for a Thompson Masterpiece. You can't beat Thompson). Rough roads that would kind of kick me in the butt on the R33 are smoothed out on the SL2; there, but barely noticible. Surprisingly, given the much longer wheelbase, I didn't feel much loss of handling on the SL2 compared with the R33, a true racing machine. This is my first "big box bike", but I have to say the workmanship is superb. The outline graphics on the gloss carbon model are a welcome relief from the usual screaming logos, and they didn't bother with a cosmetic wrap, so you see the real carbon layup; I love it, but it might be disconcerting if you don't want to see how carbon really looks. Have to mention the seatstays so light and graceful, they could hang in the Museum of Modern Art. Also disconcerting, compared with the incredibly beefy chainstays. But if Boonen couldn't break them, I sure won't and the frame has a lifetime warrantee. I can't wait for my first century ... four months out. Oh, weight ... with routine hoops, 15.68 (without pedals, etc, as the mags weight bikes). With my friend's Reynolds 46DTs, 14.92!! ... and I could lose another half pound easy swapping out my stem, Mavic brakes and Profile Design Cobra handlebar (I pick my handle bar for comfort, not weight). Crazy, considering the massive downtube and chainstays.

Similar Products Used: Orbea Onix, Litespeed Tuscany, Colnago Dream and Waterford R33
Mark Richards   Road Racer [Dec 14, 2008]
Strength:

Great looking, still very light, great finish

Not cheap.
I thought it would be comfier, but maybe I'm too light.

As a 40+ rider who already owns another fast bike I thought I would get a bike for longer rides (100 miles +).
Admittedly I have only ridden it 5 times, but it feels really stiff. I only weigh 70kg, maybe it is comfier for heavy riders. Maybe I think it should be comfie like my duallie MTB? Anyway it looks good, is light and handles very well. So I'm happy.

Similar Products Used: Cannondale Super Six, Specialized S-Works Tarmac E5, Cannondale 6-13, Trek Madone 5.9, Colnago C-40