Specialized S-Works Tarmac SL3 SRAM Road Bike

S-Works Tarmac SL3 SRAM

After three consecutive victories in the Tour of Flanders, the Tarmac went on to win the 2010 Tour de France. Like the team bikes of Saxo Bank-Sungaard and Team Astana, this SL3 is ready to race with SRAM RED.

TxAthlete   Road Racer [Sep 05, 2014]
Strength:

This bike is fast and well-built all around road racing machine. It climbs well, accelerates well, absorbs the cobblestones...Overall the bike is put together well. Out of the box it is dialed in and far above lesser built bikes, it stays tuned much longer due to the quality of the build. The carbon is diamond strong, wears well and is a quality and long-lasting carbon weave.

I can't think of any unless I try and make this bike something is it not. Specifically, this bike is not a venge, it is not a fixie, tri-bike or a track bike. It is however, the best all-around road racing bike built today IMO.

Bottom line is this bike is more expensive than others. The S-works version is NOT the same bike in any way as the non-version and I would recommend to anyone they figure out where they spend their time and invest in the tools for that accordingly. I don't play pool or water ski, so I don't buy high-end gear in those areas. I DO spend a LOT of time on my bike and given that, pulled the trigger on the best tool for the job. Good luck and hope this helps.

Similar Products Used: Trek, Cervelo, Felt, Lightspeed.
Jesse James   Road Racer [Oct 18, 2013]
Strength:

Fantastic racing bike! Corners like a Tron cycle, climbs like an angel, bombs down twisty hills like a Moto GP pro, just a great great great all around racer! Pedals put the power right down to the ground. Super tough...even for my 240 lbs frame. This bike just rocks.

Stiff. You feel every crack in the road directly in your back. But if you want this much power transfer, that's pretty much how it's gonna be at the top level racer rides.

If you want to know what if feels like to ride a real pro level bike that has a long history of cutting it's teeth at the great grand tours, one day races and the such...ride this bike.

As a note...mine came with Zipp 303 tubulars...not the Roval standard hoops. 14.3 lbs, size large, with 7800 spd pedals.

5000 miles ridden on it thus far this season

Similar Products Used: Giant TCR Advanced 0, Paketa Scud
Andrew   Recreational Rider [Aug 19, 2011]
Strength:

Light but Stiff. Fast, Agile and Compliant.

I wish I got the OSBB.

Light but Stiff. Fast, Agile and Compliant. This is my second bike and I used it occationally when I do 80 miles to century rides or climbing. This bike is very responsive. It is compatible with all the wheelsets I own, 404, dt swiss or easton.

Similar Products Used: 2008 Orbea Orca with full DA 7900 group
terminus123   Road Racer [Dec 08, 2010]
Strength:

Super stiff BB, and incredibly compliant for an all out race bike. The Matte black frame looks very stealthy like a real "Skunk works" project. Cheap if compare it to other company's "flagship" frames that are in the $4000-$6000 range.

Top tube is unusually long in all sizes. The 2010 seat tube the comes with it does not fit oversized carbon rails.

Amazing ride, super stiff in the BB area, and tracks like a dream. Very compliant for a racing bike and looks awesome to boot. I ride a 54cm matte black and the frame weighed 850grams. Only problem is the top tube is slightly longer than normal, probably for a more "racing geometry".

DSzweda   Road Racer [May 29, 2010]
Strength:

-Great handling
-Super stiff
-Very smooth
-Tracks Straight

There really are no weaknesses that I can think of.

This is one of the greatest performance bikes that I have ever ridden. It is extremely quick handling, but without any twitchiness. It tracks super straight even at 40+ mph, yet when needed can take corners at blinding speed. Even though it is very stiff, somehow the engineers have made it very complaint. It doesn't beat you up. This is truly a truly stellar frame for competitive riding. I have tried many, and none of them get it just right, like the SL3.

GaryB   Road Racer [May 10, 2010]
Strength:

* Handling - holds lines better than anything I have tried so far. This is true even at speed (50+).
* Stiff - No matter what I through at it, it responds by asking for more. I have not done an all sprint on the bike yet, but I know it will handle it with no issue.
* Arrow - I did not realize how anti-arrow I was on my previous bike since I am flying on the flats and downs now. Huge difference in this area.
* Smooth - Did a 4 hour ride on it yesterday and it did not beat me up at all. Is it the smoothest ride I have ever done, no but good enough.

* Brakes - I think the pads need to be upgraded, but still seeing if it just needs to break in. I like to come in fast into a turn and break hard. Currently do not have the stopping power to do this.
* Keeping it clean - It is just an amazing looking bike when it is clean so you are constantly wiping it down.

This review is for a 2010 S-Works Tarmac SL3 with Red group. I was looking for a supper light, stiff, and great handling bike to use for century rides and road racing and found it with the Tarmac. This bike does it all.

Similar Products Used: I test road the Cervelo R3SL, Connondale, and Colnogo and liked the overall experience with the Specialized.
Cavvycav   Road Racer [Mar 06, 2010]
Strength:

stiffness, insane lightness, smoothness over the rough stuff, geometry

This bike has it all. Cornering is second to none. The most noticeable trait in the ride is the smooth without the harsh coupled with the stiffness.

Similar Products Used: Caad3, Caad7, Caad8, Specialized E5 SWorks
j-man   Road Racer [Feb 17, 2010]
Strength:

weight
sfiffness
looks
everything

simply the best race bike you can buy, this is my forth tarmac and my second s-works. my previous one was first generation sl. its the stiffest frame i have ever ridden and is so comfortable i could do a century with out any discomfort, its just great

Similar Products Used: 2006 tarmac expert, 2008 tarmac elite, 2006 tarmac sl
wtc6526   Road Racer [Nov 15, 2009]
Strength:

Responsiveness, Acceleration, Turning, Looks, Warranty

Nothing really, cost but I feel it should be a bike that lasts and lasts, so it is worth it.

I recently built up a SL3 frameset with full SRAM Red and Zipp 404 tubular wheels. I have had a Tarmac Pro and a S-Works SL2. This tops them, the biggest advantage I can tell it cornering and accelerations, whether it be up a hill or through a technical turn. I went with the SRAM red crankset and ceramic bottom bracket and am glad I did so, extremely smooth and responsive. I have only put slightly over 100 mile on the bike so far, just finished an 80 mile ride to break it in. I have a Dura-Ace 7900 chain and cassette to smooth it out a bit. WCS Ritchey handlebars and Selle Italia SLR kit carbonio flow saddle. In a size 61cm with DA pedals, computer and bottle cage it comes in right at 15lbs. I weigh right around 180 and am 6'3" and it is strong enough for my best sprint effort, it keeps jumping forward throughout the whole effort. Gives me more courage in the turns also