Specialized Tarmac Pro Compact Road Bike

• Headset: Specialized Mindset Plus Carbon
  • Stem: S-Works Pro-Set stem, 31.8mm handlebar clamp
  • Brake Levers: Shimano Dura-Ace, 10-speed STI

Matt Rodriguez   Recreational Rider [Jul 25, 2011]
Strength:

Relatively light with great balance of stiffness and compliance. Each and every year bike companies come out with some new whizz bang marketing that is supposed to be better. My 07 Tarmac Pro works just fine... Thanks!

None that I can see. Leaps and bounds over my previous steeds (Giant OCR and Spec Allez).

This is my first venture into a full carbon bike. All that I have to say is WOW! The only changes I have made is a Dura Ace FD, Bontrager (SRAM) carbon cranks (only for sizing) and DA chain. I also ditched the 23mm tires in favor of 25mm as they seem to work better for me. I keep having pipe dreams of upgrading this bike to a SL2 or SL3. But when I ride these frame sets they are not as comfortable. My 2007 model seems to have a great balance of stiffness vs compliance and handles like a dream. I did have some problems with my stock rear wheel (Mavic Kyserium Elites) but Sam at Action Sports and Mavic were great in fixing the issue. It has not gone out of true since and I have over 1000 miles since it was rebuilt. All in all I have no plans to retire this bike until I can afford a custom Serotta. And maybe even then I might be reluctant? Spec and Action Sports has always been very good to me. Did I mention that I am a heavy rider between 210 and 225 depending on how much I ride? Gives you an idea of the quality of the bike and its components. My only regret is that I did not purchase the white and blue paint scheme. But then again. I received a great deal so who am I to complain?

Similar Products Used: Roubaix Pro, Madone, & Giant OCR
OVERALL
Sknyskiman   Road Racer [Jun 12, 2008]
Strength:

Great handling under race conditions (crits and road). Nice balance of stiffness and comfort. Very versatile bike. Weight is comparable to my other S-works bikes (16 lbs w/pump, computer, and bottle cages)

Creaking in the seat tub while putting hard effort in the seated position. This was fixed by LBS but the noise is not totally gone. Ultegra SL front derailleur, while lighter, is flimsy. I bent the cage on this during a race on what I admit was sort of a panic shift, but I've never had this problem with Dura Ace. Shifting with the Ultegra SL front derailleur also isn't as positive as Dura Ace, so I swapped this out.

Actually this is a 2008 model. I immediately swapped out the Roval wheels for Mavic Ksyrium ES wheels. This is my third Spesh carbon bike (previous S-works Tarmac and Roubaix). The Pro isn't as stiff as my other S-works bikes, but that's to be expected with the "lower" quality frame. Comfort-wise, this rides between my S-works Tarmac and Roubaix. This bike won't beat me up on bumpy roads like my other Tarmac, but isn't quite as compliant as the Roubaix. Due to its versatility, my Pro has become my everyday workhorse bike for commuting, training, racing, and rainy days. The major difference from my other Spesh bikes is that the Pro seems to be slightly twitchier than my other two bikes, but by no means unmanageable after a few miles on the bike.

Similar Products Used: 2006 S-works Tarmac and 2007 S-works Roubaix, Litespeed Classic and Tuscany
OVERALL