Specialized Tarmac Pro Road Bike

Specialized Tarmac Pro Road Bike

• Specialized FACT 6r carbon frame with compact race geometry and Zertz seatstay inserts
  • Lightweight full FACT carbon fork with vibration damping Speed Zertz
  • Lighter weight S-Works FACT carbon stem with magnesium face plate
  • Lighter, vibration-damping S-Works FACT carbon aero handlebar with ergo/aero shaping
  • Smoother shifting, lighter weight Shimano Dura-Ace/Ultegra 20-speed drivetrain
  • Lighter FSA SLK MegaExo 2-piece carbon crankset
  • Lighter Mavic Ksyrium Elite high performance wheelset

• USER REVIEWS

[May 17, 2011]
    cwesterholm

Strength:

Light, stiff, reliable company

Never crashed, but broke the non-drive seat stay or non-drive chain stay on three frames.

This is my California bike, I live in Madison, WI. I switched out the standard shimano groupo with a DA Triple groupo when I purchased the bike and then used it for three weeks of climbing in Europe. It performed perfectly. However, I'm a heavy rider and the frame has broken several items. Specialized has replaced it with a new frame everytime, no questions.

Tarmac SL2, Ritchey Ti/Carbon Breakaway, Tarmac Pro Transition

[Mar 09, 2011]
    ditexo

Strength:

light and stable. Outstanding value. Very good racing bike.

Very Stiff. It is so stiff that I might have to downgrade my wheels,and put on 700x25's

This review is for the 2011 model,and the purchase price is for the frameset only.

Stable, light, fast but VERY STIFF! I think this bike would be perfect for Crits and short distance rides. Don't get me wrong, this is a good bike and an outstanding value, but I don't see myself doing anything longer than 75 miles on this bike.

BMC Pro-Machine 2009. Which has all the qualites of the Tarmac Pro, but it is much more comfortable.

[Jan 09, 2011]
    stephen humpage

Strength:

Stiff , super light , corners like a cheater chasing a gazzel, climbs real good

slight problem with bb30 crank clicking , but was sorted out by a good mechanic

WOW and double wow started road cycling 4 years ago first bike was the allez elite specilized with shimano 105 then i purchased the 2008 s works tarmac pro frame and falks with aset of mivic ksyriums and 7800 dura ace both bikes were exellent , by the end of 2009 i was racing and so i purchased the 2010 tarmac pro with 7900 dura ace and fulcrum 1 wheels . Idid not think it was possible for specilized to make such massive improvments in there bike geometry and performance ,BUT THEY DO EVERY YEAR awsome racing machine the tours prove it

allez elite

[Aug 13, 2010]
    WomanOnTop

Strength:

??

Poor engineering- seat stem cracked?!
    Specialized is impossible to deal with and does not stand behind the product.

So far, I put about 1200 miles on the bike, ridden up steep kettles in the glacial area where I live and down some massive hills at breakneck speeds. I love the color and style of the bike but it is trash now with a cracked seat steam! With a weight of only 120 lbs I am shocked at the weak frame. Now Specialized is being tough to deal because I don’t have my original receipt of purchase. Only servicing the bike at shops where they are experts in these bikes, I feel burned by Specialized and would not suggest the brand.

[Mar 12, 2010]
    BALSDEEP

Strength:

WHAT A BIKE!

NONE

STIFF, FAST, COMFORT AND SO GOOD LOOKING! THE BIKE IS ALSO NICE.

CERVELO R3. I KNOW THE TWO BIKE HAVE A DIFFERENT GEOMETRY BUT FOR ME THEY FELT EQUALLY GOOD. I THOUGHT THE SPECIALIZED WAS A BETTER VALUE FOR THE MONEY.

[Jan 22, 2010]
    Ed Reed

Strength:

light weight, really nice components, makes me want to ride more

expensive

It's an '08' but this site wouldn't let me select '08'... this is by far the nicest bike I have ever owned. I didn't mean to spend that much, but I test rode a half dozen different bikes and this was the one that "spoke" to me. It really makes me want to ride more often when I greatly enjoy the bike I selected. Lighter than I could have imagined, smooth ride, great geometry, love it.

I replaced a 1990 Trek 1200... it was awesome in 1990 but...

[Dec 26, 2009]
    specializedman

Strength:

Got it reasonably cheap, was reasonably light, almost as comfortable as my new bike.

They break easily, I know of 3 people with 2008 tarmacs and 2 of them have snapped at the bottom bracket without being crashed or used on the trainer. Specialized will probably never get you a warranty frame should yours break, It has the stiffness of wet spaghetti,The red paint looks rubbish,The stock carbon cranks are good while they work but are of low quality, specialized charge the earth for a bike of pretty low quality.

I had a 2008 Pro, I bought it to replace an alloy bike and got a good deal ex shop demo.
    It was only really a little bit better than the alloy bike and I was really happy when I managed to break it doing a up hill TT and got a 2009 frame as a replacement, (unfortunately specialized customer service is terrible so it took 3 months to get me a frame) I was blown away with the 2009 frame, it makes the 2008 look inferior in every way, If you are still riding a 2008 frame I would certainly recommend upgrading because you don't know what you are missing!

2009 Tarmac SL Pro, Avanti Giro alloy bike.

[Feb 25, 2009]
    bikeosprey

Strength:

Response, stiff, no flex, nimble.

Clamp on front derail, paint job is ok.

2008 model, this frame really works, I have owned many steel, alum, and 1 carbon bikes. It is so stiff for energy transfer but really absorbs the vibration. It is also very quick in steering. I test rode a C40 and it was slightly more comfortable but not near the response. Tried best Treks, very stiff but harsh. Only killer bike I tried that was in a whole level better was the Colnago CX-1 but many more real dollars.
    Great bike the Tarmac Pro with 8r frame. I am 57.

Too many to list.

[Dec 12, 2008]
    climb_up

Strength:

Stiff - great power transfer with each pedal stroke.
    Comfortable on 150 non-stop mile rides - with proper on bike stretching of course.
    Tack sharp with no jitters on 50+ descents - also a testament for the stock Mavic Elites.
    Relatively lightweight - current complete build weights less close to 15lbs with pedals and H20 cage.

Plenty of excellent alternatives in this price - check out for yourself. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them.
    Biggest complaint is paint - not the most durable clear coat. Not flaking but does pick up small marks.

This 2007 Tarmac Pro was my 1st competitive road bike and after 8,000 miles since April of 08 I have a few observations. I don't road race but my weekly training rides are usually a rolling hill century+ (5,500'gain), two 40 mile mountain ride (6,000'gain each), two easy 60 mile rides (3,000'gain each). First off the frame (54) is incredible stiff and fairly lightweight (approx 1,200 grams). It uses a FACT 8r carbon build and I haven't out grown its performance ability yet. I've been very pleased with the stock Mavic Elites (08) - utterly bombproof, no hub, rim or truing issues. Just recently replaced all of the drive-train to new 08 DA groupo including swapping out the stock FSA compact crankset with DA 7800 53/39. Dura-ace front derailleur has noticeable better downshift than Ultegra (much stiffer and more tension on spring). Spending $3k just for his bike seemed like a lot of money until I spent another $2k upgrading parts, ect. I love this bike and plan on using it till the next gen Colnago comes out (C-60 in 2014).

[Nov 02, 2008]
    spastook

Strength:

Great power transfer. All foward motion. Great balance,handling. Quite comfortable.Superb climber.

With all that stiffness comes a bit of harshness.

I tested a 2009 model at the insistance of the owner of my local shop. I currently ride a 14 year old Litespeed and he wanted me to sample something from the 21st century. I was prepared not to like and 30 minutes into the ride I did not care for it. At first I found it too harsh, but I'll admit some of that judgement was probably from my pre-concieved notion that I'm not going to like this bike. By the end of my 40 mile ride that day I was beginning to come around. By the end of my 10 day demo period I was contemplating how to come up with $3,300 so I can buy one. I've been riding for 30 years now and not easily impressed with the "flavor of the month" but this bike has me taking my head out of the sand and considering carbon fiber for the first time.