Tommaso Imola Road Bike

Tommaso Imola Road Bike

• Frame: AluminumSemi Compact Frame, w/replaceable dropout & integrated headtube
  • Fork: Carbon fiber legs, alloy integrated crown, CR-MO 1-1/8" steerer
  • Crankset: Prowheel 52/42/30T, Black

• USER REVIEWS

[Jan 30, 2012]
    dchatham

Strength:

Looks, quite, fast, handles well, shifts well.

can't see or try in person (I got lucky)! A tad heavier than a more expensive bike.

Love'n my Tommaso Imola. I've had more expensive road bikes (Lemond Sarthe etc.) but this one fits and handles very well. It's slightly heavier than those bikes but it's not noticeable unless your racing and in excellent shape. The bike looks and feels great. I did a bunch of research on road bikes under $500 and chose this one.

You can view my bike at: http://dennisjjc.tumblr.com/

[Jun 24, 2010]
    Chris Panda

Strength:

the price, such an upgrade from my mountain bike, well built from my knowledge

you can't test ride, the shifting derailer has to be adjusted again even if you choose the pro build b/c after a bit of riding the cables strech (but also on any new bike)

I purchased the 2010 Tommaso Imola without the carbon fork, and was pleased when it arrived for i chose the pro build for $60 more...after my first test ride i wasn't happy with the shifting but a few days later i went to my lbs and had the gears adjusted and now i'm extremely happy with my purchase...also i read from other reviewers to buy 1 size larger than what they suggest so i did and the bike fits like a glove...basically for a decent entry level road bike you get a quality bike with workable components and it's about the same ride as the trek 1.2 but you keep the $400 (approx depending on tax where you live)...also i'm going to be using this bike on my first sprint triatholon...also i'm sold my old trek 820 mtn bike b/c i feel the imola will hold up on the ruff streets through brklyn during my daily commute

test rode the felt f95, scott s50 & s40, trek 1.2 but this is my first road bike...i was riding a trek 820 mountain bike

[Dec 10, 2008]
    Dave Runger

Strength:

The obvious strength is that this bike is cheap. And I guess you can't go wrong with handlebars. Rims stayed true.

Can't test ride as it is only available online. It seems that Randall Scott went with cheap, low quality components everywhere they could without attracting too much attention. Sure it has Shimano components, but the bottom bracket, hubs, cranks, cassette, and frame all seemed to be rather low quality to me. My bike had a bad case of the somewhat mysterious phenomenon known as casette wobble. My hubs came improperly adjusted, which I only realized after many miles of riding (that is, after already having destroyed the bearings because of the improper adjustment). I would go through sporadic periods of a mysterious clicking sound whose cause I never was able to identify (bottom bracket?). With Shimano Sora components, I foud it difficult to get the front derailer properly adjusted; one result was that the chain would sometimes fall off when I tried to shift onto my smallest chainring. Irregularly (non-cylindrical) shaped chain-stays made it impossible for me to securely affix a rear-rack as I had hoped I might be able to do.

I was not pleased with my investment in this bike. I was hoping that I would be getting a deal buying off the Internet, but I knew that I was taking a risk not test riding the bike. My risk absolutely did not pay off. This is one of the least expensive bikes on the market, and you get what you pay for: I don't really imagine that you could find very many new road bikes out there that are worse than this one. That being said, if your standards are not very high (i.e. you have never ridden a decent road bike before), this bike might work out for you. But I would hate for this bike to be anyone's first exposure to road cycling; there are bikes out there that are lots more efficient at converting your power to forward movement.

All-in-all, I utterly lacked confidence in this bike. I gave it up after a few months -- returning to my trusty steel Peugeot road bike that was manufactured in the early 1970's and already has thousands of miles on it. But nonetheless, it rides better than the Imola, and is only about 3 pounds heavier than the Imola.

[Sep 07, 2008]
    Tyrellcrimson

Strength:

Good welds, stiff frame. It builds up pretty light. Very attractive frame. Realy nice paint job. If this is your first road bike, you will be happy. Very well packed for transit. While unpacking I kept on saying "I got this for only $400?"

Sora!! Yuck!! I'd prefer to ride it singlepeed (I'm a bike snob) It has a sticker which says 6061 Alu tubing, but it is still a no name tubeset. Straight tube seatstays and chainstays give it away. Not too supple a ride. The riser stem is so pedestrian, but if you reverse it, it looks really aggressive.

Immediately dumped the Sora components and converted it to single speed. Changed the handlebars and put on Tektro brake levers. Pretty good frame, stiff and light, and might I say rather attractive,(mine came in burgundy). Good welds, not ground down , so you can see if they're quality. Not as supple a ride as a C-dale, but still well worth the money. The wheels are useable with ugly hubs, but they're strong and not too heavy. Overall the bike is delightfully light(in single speed mode), stiff, and seems to be well built, just perfect for a winter trainer. Overall, a very good bike for the money, you will get what your expecting, no nasty surprises, and some nice ones

Trek Alu frame-forgot name-forgettable bike
    Giant with ALUXX -pretty good
    C-Dale CAAD 8 built up with Mirage
    Orbea Onix with Mirage

[Sep 05, 2008]
    mesides

Strength:

carbon fiber fork and its fairly light compared to other road bikes in this price point. The price is one that you cant beat for an entry level road bike.

The gears do slip and everyonce in a while the chain will come off.

Great bike for the price. This was my first road bike purchase and I was a little sceptical on spending thousands of dollars when i wasnt sure if I was going to like it. So far I have put over 500 miles on it and its doing great. I would definatly recomend it for anyone just getting into road biking. The grafics are nothing great and they kind of grow on you after some time.

This was my first road bike.

[Aug 17, 2008]
    Steve

Strength:

Smooth and responsive. Light weight. Drive train from the shifters to derailers were right on target, shifting is very smooth and at times I cant even feel a when I changed gears. Nice paint job, I have the yellow/black.

Not comfortable, but I believe all road bikes will be the same. At least the Felt bike I test rode was the same.

2008 Tommaso Imola. I had this bike assembled within 30 minutes and ready to ride. I've had this bike just over a month and have 201 miles on it. Switching from (Ironhorse)mountain bike and (Schwinn) hybrid, this is my first road bike and not as comfortable as my Schwinn hybrid. I test rode a much higher priced Felt road bike and the Tommaso Imola (from RS) was a much better bike for the price.

First road bike, I ride a Schwinn hybrid and an Ironhorse mountain bike.

[Jul 01, 2008]
    reckter

Strength:

Solid..Beautiful paint scheme ( I Have the yellow).
    Smooth & responsive

Really a bit early,but the LBS had a tough time getting the bike tuned, but I think it was the tech, as they switched techs, and the bike was ready in no time.

The bike arrived in excellent condition, and I had a LBS assemble the bike not to void any warranties, cost was only $30.00. I mad a short 5 mile sprint ride, and the bike is a dream! Smooth, and comfortable. The LBS was a bit surprised at the bike also, with the optional toe clip pedals the bike weighed in at 24.6 pounds, however, I have replacement pedals OTW.
    I strongly recommend the bike for a beginner.

N/A

[Jun 21, 2008]
    avogadro6.2

Slippage between shifters and triple crank. Shift mechanism seems inconvenient. Don't recommend buying it from Randall Scott. Their customer service is non-existent, despite their self acclaimed goal of 100% satisfaction.

Sound and responsive bike for the price.

This is my first road bike, a step down in comfort from my hybrid mountain bike,

[Mar 31, 2008]
    seventex

Strength:

Carbon fork - PRICE - there have been comments about the graphics on the bike, I think it looks good but see the cosmetics as least important of all possible features. If I could get a bike that weighed 3 lbs. less for the same price, I'd do it, even if it was hot pink.

Sora shifters don't allow some shifting (down in front, up in back) when you're in the drops. It's just not a very aggressive ride. Also, while this is technically a 24 speed bike, you'll quickly find that you can't reach all 24 gears, the smallest and largest chainrings can't reach their opposite cogs on the rear -- effectively limiting you to 21 or 22 speeds. No matter, they overlap ratios, you don't need 24.
    Also, finally, I retired (with this purchase) a 30 year old Univega. This new bike is a dream, much lighter and more responsive. However, I can see that it won't take too long before this bike seems heavy, At about 23lbs, it's clearly a recreational bike, not a racer.

A road worthy bicycle with legitimate equipments and features for a Walmart price!
    I compared the bike (but did not ride) the Jamis Ventura and the Specialized Allez -- the entry models, also with Sora equipment -- and couldn't justify paying about $300 more for a bike that doesn't have a carbon-fibre fork. I feel bad for the LBO, but it's a lot of money. Had it been close, I would have preferred to buy locally.

None. This is my first bike with indexed shifting. If you're riding an antique like I was, it's time to move on!

[Oct 26, 2007]
    J. Admire

Strength:

Carbon Fork, amount of bike you get for the $$. I looked at several raod bikes and did not want to spend 6-7-8 hundred dollars. The guys at RS Cycle did not pressure me, I told them what I wanted and when I followed up with them they were quick to fix the problem.

The cranks and Sora Shifters, I knew this when I got the bike will upgrade after they stop working... But they are going strong.

Great bike for the price. Perfect entry level road bike. The bike showed up from Fed Ex and with in minutes a a couple of tweaks it was road worthy.

GT Mt Bike Conversion (Single Speed Commuter).