Trek 1.2 Road Bike

•Sizes - 43, 50, 52, 54, 56, 58, 60, 62cm
•Color - Metallic Black, Pearl White

[Apr 09, 2017]
Medyo Bastos

Strength:

light, great geometry

A little twitchy. I'd go for a little bigger bar but that's just personal opinion.

Bought mine a month and a half ago - this bike is a great replacement for my 9 yr old Orbea Larrau. I immediately uprated from the Claris default (8spd) to Tiagra group set (10 Spd), changed BB, adjusted the spacers and been a happy roadie since.

I am queasy with the Bontrager rubbers, so I am in the market for Continental Gatorskin but other than that, this one all considered is a keeper.

[Oct 25, 2015]
Nate W, recreational racer

Strength:

Minimal frame flex under load. Corners well. Climbs and descends well. Comfortable geometry

Wheels/hubs/spokes. Sora/Sram mash-up drivetrain is adequate but wears out quickly. Pretty heavy. Tall head tube

Purchased the bike in summer 2013. I have never seriously ridden a road bike until I purchased this one. Been a MTB guy since I can remember. But, this bike has been everything I've needed and converted me from a dirt man to a roadie. Now, I ride and occasionally race this set up. But beware, there are some weaknesses. The no-name wheels are crap. Broken spokes, seized hubs, shot bearings etc. Had no idea how bad the wheels were until I performed a spin test contrasted with a set up on a low end Specialized allez and rode a low-end shimano set. Next, the low end Shimano/Sram drivetrain is a let down. I've replaced the cassette twice, the chain twice, and the bottom bracket once. Had I known better, I would've purchased the 2.1 with shimano 105. Over all though, I am very pleased. I easily keep up with or lead all the group rides I'm on with the bike. The other riders ride anything from new Madone 6 and 7 series, Sworks Tarmacs, Boardman 9.9 slr, and supersix evo hi-mods. With a couple upgrades, this bike will enable ANY rider to be their best. Frame never let's me down, easily climbing and descending grades pushing 25 to 30%. In summation, if you buy this bike and upgrade the wheels, you'll have miles of fun.

[Oct 05, 2014]
Peter Westbrook

Strength:

Price, saddle, cranks, forks

Wheels, bottom bracket

I bought the 2013 model in September of 2012. I've put just over 8000 miles on this bike since. If you're looking for an entry level road bike, the Trek 1.2 is perfect, but I'd recommend at least going up to the 2.1 or one with 105 components. This year I've replaced the saddle with a paradigm, I've also replaced the rear wheel. The stock rear hub wore out, and I had broken 3 spokes. I've also replaced the bottom bracket recently, keeping in mind that I've racked up over 8000 miles. Next season I plan on upgrading to a higher end bike, but will still keep this one around. It's got great maneuverability, climbs well, and handles lots of different road conditions with ease. This bike easily turned me into a road cyclist.

[Apr 14, 2013]
John Burney

Strength:

light weight, carbon fork, great handling, very capable bike

drive train components, bottom bracket

I have about 200 miles on the bike so far. The bike is very light, rides well, handles great. Riding position is good. I have grown accustomed to the seat which was painful the first week or two.

From day one the drive chain made some noise in the upper gear ranges. Gradually it got bad enough that I took it in to LBS. They adjusted the front derailer and replaced the bottom bearing that had failed. Got it back and it ran flawlessly right up until the chain snapped in two.

I am hopeful the components will be more reliable going forward. When everything is working it's a wonderful bike to ride. In retrospect I probably would have gotten something with better driveline components.

[Jun 29, 2012]
Alex

Strength:

Great Price, handles really well, easily upgradable and little to no mainteneance required to keep the bike going.

Components, components and components, shifting is not set up for racing and brakes are weak

When I bought this bike back in 2009 I acutally thought I was buying a mid/average road bike. After riding an old Steel GIANT and an even heavier GMC, this bike was like a dream come true. But after doing all the research, I couldn't believe this was acutally considered just a recreational bike, not even close to a Madone or even used in the same breath as a "Racing Bike", yes on various occasions during my rides, I've been able to keep up with guys that own Madones from the 3s to the 6s. When these guys find out what I'm riding, they're not only in shock but a bit angered considering they spent thousands on thier bikes knowing that my under a $1,000 dollar bike is keeping up with these guys. So am I satisfied with this bike, you better believe it! Great bike for the price and I can keep up with the best of them! Makes no sense to spend any more cash except for the occasional upgrades....

[Jun 28, 2012]
Jimmy McDaniel

Strength:

Saddle, Crankset, Bang for buck deal

None that i have found except low quality components

Well, the only reason this bike got 4 stars out of 5 on value rating is because i could go to bikes direct.com and buy a bike for the same price and have full carbon ultegra. But i didnt, and it wasnt a mistake. This bike is a dream for me, being only 14 when i got it in july of last year, i put over 2000 miles on it before the end of september. everyone should have this bike.... ive trained on it and it has never given me trouble, ive raced it in sprint triathlons and 68 and 38 mile road races, and it has never fell short of my expectations.:) Hope you found this helpful

[Aug 17, 2011]
jonas

Strength:

fast, lite, good shifter, altought its onle a shimano sora, but works great. pro tour geometry and triple rings to get me climbing on a stiffer road with minimal effort.

the best road bike for the money. protour geometry. same stance with the upper level madone 0nly on the relaxed side. The 1.2 weights 21.0 lbs. whereas the madone 5.2 goes to 16.0 costing thousands more. durable with no problem. Just try to get used to ride on it, and learn how to shift it well and you get the best bike ever. Some people complai of the pedals, seat and shifting gears. just minor tweeks and you get a lower end madone. guaraneed.

cervelo, bianchi and pinarello dogma

[Feb 24, 2011]
clipz

Strength:

frame, handling and durability

components, but hey what do you expect from that price range. its all sora/tiagra mix .
im giving an overall rating of 4 because of the components other than that amazing bike!

i bought this bike in 2010. To be honest as a first road bike i can say it performs well. i cant compare it to others, but its a good ride for the price and it handlles well. I push this bike far beyond its limits and i think is a fantastic first bike and would reccomend it to anyone.

[Oct 17, 2010]
chip sherwood

Strength:

A good overall design and value. Racer class bike? no A good basic bike for the average rider at a reasonable price? yes A perfect bike? there is no such thing. you will find modifications you'll want to make to suit your taste- but that is part of the sports reward- make your bike yours. If you don't have the ability,then find or make a friend that does. Your local bike shop is one of the best sources of help you can find. Do they make money from your habit? yes-but compare thier labor rates to your local car repair center-and they are a good (dare I say cheap)deal. I have only changes the pedals to clipless up to this point, and find the bike works weel they way it was built.

none I've found yet. keep your expectations in line with the purchase price and you will find the value in your purchase

2010 model year bike - I was pleasantly surprised how effecient this bike is. some comments about shifters and seats are more a matter of personal taste than true function. The other bike I ride is a big $$ european ride w/campagnolo super record 11 groupo, that has the ergo shifters on it. I have issues with my hand/finger dexterity that shows up after 25 miles of riding or so(carpal-tunnel type issues), and the shimano sti levers I was using worked great,but aggrivate my physical limitations.I purchased the campy group to help my problem and was very happy with the way they worked-BUT I'm not thrilled about using the high tech bike in the winter. So I purchased a trek 1.2 to use in the winter- the Sora shifters mimic the campy design, and honestly worked much better than I ever expected them to. A hard seat? not by my standards, but if you are new to street biking then you might like something cushier, but as time goes on you will find your self moving back to a stiffer saddle as you become more acclimated to the sport. Weak brakes? no they dont have disc brake power,but they are more than acceptable for the intended user group.Tires? no issues,work fine and ride comfortably- keep PSI around 90/95 and you shouldn't have issues. The front derailler does rub a smidgen,but only in the most extreme cases of cross chaining-meaning all the way up on the rear wheel(largest sprocket) while being all the way out on the front chain ring(largest)- the extreme chain misalaignment causes the chain to rub on the derailler cages, so just shift to the middle front ring,and come down from the biggest gear on the rear to a more centered sprocket,which would give the a similar gear ratio, and the issue goes away. Frankly my campy equipped bike will do the same thing, particularily since it has 11 gears on the rear wheel -cross chaining is just a no-no on any bike if you can help it. I came back from my 1st ride with my son remarkably pleased with the bikes performance, and I even commented as to why we will spend 7x more for a high tech version, but if you own a high grade bike you already know the answer to that question.Should you spend more on a new bike? If you have the budget it always pays to buy as much as you can afford, but if you are looking to be more budget conscious, not spend more than you have to, then I'd say this is a great place to start. If you feel the need to upgrade, then feel free to do so- thats part of the fun of cycling in my opinion.

trek 1200 raleigh supercouse Ridley Excaliber santa cruz raodster

[Sep 06, 2010]
echo7

Strength:

fairly light, fast, good handling

knock on bottom bracket/cranks on first 30 minnutes of use..

2010 Trek 1.2.
Bike is 21.2 Lbs as per my hanging scale. Good handling, fast. However on my first use. the cranks/bottom bracket started to knock. Very disappointing..

I have an 2010 gian rapid 3 for my wife and never had any quality issues