Trek 1.5 Road Bike

•Rear Derailleur - Shimano Tiagra
•Sizes - 50, 52, 54, 56, 58, 60, 62, 64cm
•Color - Pearl White/Trek Red

McG   Road Racer [Feb 19, 2016]
Strength:

Frame is light and strong. Geometry is all day comfort.

Both derailleurs, cranks, wheel set, and brakes.

Took everything off the bike. Put on a Shimano compact double crank with just the outer 50t ring. Tectro dual pivot brakes. Old pair of Shimano 501 wheels that I installed ceramic bearings. 16t rear cog and Forte chain tension wheel. BOOM!! A single speed monster! Light (13lbs) and agile. Handles predictable and toss-able. The stiff frame makes it climb better than most single conversions. GRAB a used one and scrap the components and create your own single.

Similar Products Used: 1969 Gitane Tour de France -- Reynolds 531
1999 Schwinn Super Sport converted to 105
2005 Bianchi Giro
2008 Orbea Opal Record/Chorus mix
2014 Orbea Orca Gold
Kuniaki Kageyama   [Feb 28, 2014]
Strength:

Value price, light weight

Original wheels, Break Calipers

I bought Trek 1.5 as my first roadbike and have ridden more than 3000 miles. This is great bike...comfortable and stiff frame. The price around $1000 is very valuable.

After 2000 miles, I replaced original wheels to lighter ones. Then the bike has been much faster and easy to climb hills.

The stopping power of original break calipers is poor. Even I replaced to good pads, I didn't see an improvement. So I am replacing to shimano's one. The calipers to fit Trek 1.5 should be a long reach calipers (57mm). So selections are limited. Don't buy regular calipers, such as Shimano105 or Ultigra.

david robins   Road Racer [Nov 06, 2013]
Strength:

Frame

wheels, seat,bb,

take the wheels / tyres off and throw in the bin along with the seat and factory chain as soon as you buy it. After thats done it is the best racing commuter available. Bb needs regular replacement along with drive chain but this is routine maintenace. Brillient frame a real giant killer. Axium race wheels and gps 4000s tyres are unbeatable on this frame. The tiaga groupset works well and will last longer than any other groupset. Brakes are stiff and dont flex. Cheap compedative bike.

Dan   Road Racer [Nov 02, 2013]
Strength:

Lightweight (my 54 is 22lbs, take it as you will), affordable, decent groupset, comfortable ride

some flex, not a great wheelset

I have a 2011 Trek 1.5 that I got for about $800 dollars during an end of season super-clearance. I bought this bike as my first road bike, and have since gotten a new bike, a 2012 Orbea Orca Bronze Di2. I used the 1.5 as a race and training bike for several seasons, and have had no major issues with it. I only have one complaint and that is the wheels seem to get out of true fairly easily. I would chalk it up to hard, constant use though more than anything. The frame is fairly light weight and handles well. I did end up lowering the bars, but that is more personal preferance than a flaw in the bike. Other than that, I've only changed the bar tape after a couple of bad crashes. It does have some flex when you are really hammering it out of the saddle, but it is nothing most people should worry about. It is a great bike for someone looking to get into the sport, or to start racing.

Similar Products Used: Orbea Orca Bronze Di2
Barrett   Recreational Rider [Oct 04, 2012]
Strength:

Inexpensive, upgradeable, great beginner bike, not afraid to mess with it.

Heavy, shifting with front derailleur, wheels feel unresponsive.

2010 version. I really have enjoyed riding this bike the past 3 seasons. I ride mostly flat and rolling hills so the weight has not really been an issue but when I do climb I feel it (I weigh 68kg/150lbs). Standing in the pedals the wheels can feel a bit unresponsive and slow. I plan on upgrading them soon. It is a great entry level bike and has really allowed me to learn how to work on bikes because I am not afraid to mess with it. The front derailleur sucks. I have had major problems shifting into the small cog and even dropped the chain twice just before important climbs. Sometimes it would just freeze up and not allow me to shift. I have had it adjusted and adjusted it myself numerous times. The rear derailleur on the other hand I have never had to touch! The front brake also gave out after one season but my LBS replaced it on warranty.

I dropped the bars to a more agressive riding position after 2 seasons and it made a huge difference in how the bike felt. The geometry is rather relaxed but this is good for getting used to putting in the miles. I have the white paint job and I know now I will never own another white bike. Everything shows on the frame. I would go with a darker frame color.

xrayvizhen   [May 27, 2012]
Strength:

Light (compared to old steel bike). Decent component Tiagra components. Fast and responsive. Carbon fork makes for smooth ride. Strong - I had a crash and frame and wheels held up (tire & tube didn't.)

Need to get used to this bike's compact frame geometry. Foot on pedal can hit back of front wheel during certain turning configurations. Compact double gear-set not as conducive for hill climbing as triple.

This is my first modern road bike. Previously, I was riding a 20 year old steel Huffy 12 speed that weighed something like 33 lbs. This thing is at least 10 lbs. lighter and the difference is very noticeable. I bought it used on Craigslist so my value rating may not be realistic, but I really didn't want to spend $1k on an entry level road bike which is what this is. On the other hand, I don't understand what $4k - $6k for high-end bikes will get you, either. I plan to either replace the cassette or possibly just change the gearing a bit so I can get a lower gear that will be better for hill climbing than what comes standard with the compact double. This model came in two versions; a compact double and a triple. If you live in a hilly area, get the triple.

Chris   Recreational Rider [Apr 20, 2011]
Strength:

Very smooth ride, will coast for long time before slowing down.

The derailing system is cheap. I have a problem going up a hill and shifting to a easier gear, it will skip. I took it in twice and still have problems with it. When your going up a hill and it slips its the worst, you lose speed and and have to work harder.

Overall very nice, but still working on getting the front end dialed in. It will skip the middle gear when going up a hill and when I am shifting down.

Similar Products Used: No just cheap walmart/toys R us mountain bikes.
marksandygill   Road Racer [Feb 20, 2010]
Strength:

Stiff, lightweight frame, good value for money

Frame is possibly too stiff! Nothing else i can think of!!

I upgraded from a Kona MTB that i used for travelling to work as i wanted to start taking cycling more eriously without spending a fortune! This was the perfect bike for the price and performance it provides!

The acceleration from a very stiff frame is amazing, always giving you the feeling that it wants to go faster, the only thing stopping it is my ability!

Having done over a thousand miles on it i havnt had a single mechanical problem and there is very little wear and tear!

The only slight downside is that the frame is possibly too stiff, i ended up with side/hip pain when riding 50+ miles!

So all in all i couldnt reccommend this bike highly enough for the price, and even though it will be a while before i upgrade i would happily go with another Trek!

Similar Products Used: None
rappe   Recreational Rider [Apr 07, 2009]
Strength:

Price-performance ratio seems OK to me.

The mix of gear components. Trek should go with one of the Shimano series.
Brakes.

The bike is a 2008, but that option was not available. Overall I´m satisfied, but you should tighten the spokes before usage. The factory Bontrager SSR are a bit loose. The brakes should also be changed. Perhaps they become better in the summer.

Similar Products Used: Earlier I had a Columbus Pinta, a local brand from Sweden. Was a bit more expensive, but the developement in the bike market since 2003 has come a long way.
2ndGen   Recreational Rider [Mar 11, 2009]
Strength:

Frame, build, aestetics, bang for buck, upgradability.

Stock drivetrain (Der's) and heavy wheelset.

2008 Trek 1.5: Rode the Madone 5.2 and a Trek 1.2, but the 1.5 was the one for me right now. Took it out for an 8 mile run on her maiden voyage. It took me a bit to get used to such a responsive bike when compared to the older steel roadies I used to ride, but once i got it, it was like piloting a rocket. It went as fast as I could give it.

Similar Products Used: Madone 5.2, Trek 1.2, Giant RS900 (vintage).