Trek 2.3 Road Bike

•Rear Derailleur - Shimano Ultegra
•Sizes - 50, 52, 54, 56, 58, 60, 62, 64cm
•Color - Pearl White/Platinum

tuco   Recreational Rider [Oct 03, 2015]
Strength:

I recently bought a 2013 Trek Madone 54. I bought the bike because a carbon frame bike I recently purchased rear derailer malfunctioned. It damaged the frame. Luckily I purchased it from Performance bikes. I received a full refund.

I am close to 60 years old and back in the day I would compete with a Trek 1500 with down shifters. That bike is still in great shape and I used it for the Hotter Hell Hundred ride for years 2012 and 2013.

For 2014 I bought the Trek Domane 2.0. The aluminum version of that model. You could ride all day with that bike. It's like an old fasion Cadillac, in the sense once you get going you don't want to stop.

I needed something I thought would be faster in order to ride with the Tower racing guys. The Fuji SST 3.0 was my choice and was a great bike. The frame issue i mentioned earlier put me in the market for a new racing type bike. I asked around and all agreed that at my age and weight an expensive carbon bike would be a marginal improvement in speed performance. I felt more comfortable with aluminum and Trek bikes so I was able to find the 2013 model Madone 2.3. I used the bike for the Sub 5 event in Illinois. The bike was great, felt very good all day.

I weigh around 205 pounds which I know is huge for cycling. Which means I can only blame myself when I was unable to stick with riding groups.

The great thing about the Madone is cornering. I felt very confident taking tight turns. I am writing this in early October 2015 and my goal is to enter more crits in the Cat 5 category and just have fun and be competitive. I feel with the Madone I can do that. Anyway that is the goal.

I really can't think of any. Other reviews mentioned saddle issues. I have been on a lot worse and did not have an issue with the Madone.

I realize I bought the bike new 2 years after it came out but I would liked to have bought red color bike. Not a big deal since the bike looks great in black and blue finish.

This is the bike to get if you are looking for a steady performer. I am not worried as much about crashes as I was with the carbon frame bike. The price is very affordable.

The bike looks great, rides great and will generate confidence entering corners.

I hope this helps

Jim   Recreational Rider [Jun 02, 2013]
Strength:

105 components

I have 1800 miles and have had no problems. I purchased new tires and a chain. Never had a flat. The bike has worked flawlessly. (Is that a word) this bike has minimal spokes and coast past any other bike. Great bike

wm of SF   [Mar 09, 2012]
Strength:

I ran over a deer on highway 84 in the Santa Cruz Mountains

NONE

"The Goat" has been some incredible number of thousands of miles and has provided an excellent bike for flying through the mountains. The only thing I recommend is to use Specialized Armadillo tires so you'll never get a flat. I ran over a deer on this bike and didn't crash. Excellent handling.

Bubbadidit   Recreational Rider [Feb 29, 2012]
Strength:

Great price for a bike with full Shimano 105 components- beats what comes on the 3.1 and 4.5 (brakes, wheels, and cranks).

The aluminum frame doesn't have the coolness factor that the carbon frames do. However, if you nick or scratch the aluminum frame, you can sell it without a problem; I'm not sure you can say the same about a bike with a carbon frame.

I purchased a 2011 Trek 2.3 from Jax Bicycles about a month ago (January 2012) for $1340 OTD with a 3 year Red Shield protection plan. I sold a Trek Madone 4.5 last year, but missed road cycling, so within a few months I was looking for a replacement. I went back and forth between the 2.3 and 3.1 (the 4.5 was no longer in my price range) and decided on the 2.3 after I hung the 2.3 and 3.1 on a scale at the bike shop. Both bikes were 56cm and weighed the same (19.3 lbs without pedals). With pedals and two water bottle cages, my 2.3 weighs approximately 20.3 lbs. I threw on some "free" Race X lite wheels and got it down to 19.3 lbs. I am impressed with the ride quality and have not noticed the difference between the carbon and aluminum frames, even when riding with the stock wheels. I do, however, notice improved braking performance and feel with the 2.3 (105 brakes) over the 3.1 and 4.5 brakes. If you are looking to save weight by going with a carbon frame, you'll probably have to start shopping in the Madone 5-series, which will include better components, before you see a noticeable difference. Although, it is going to come with a much higher price tag.

Similar Products Used: Trek Madone 4.5
Gary Fisher HiFi Carbon (MTB)
Giant AC Air Lite (MTB)
baysailor   Recreational Rider [Jul 25, 2011]
Strength:

Light, strong, quick.

While the carbon fork and stays soften the ride, it's not as comfortable a ride as my old steel bike. However, it's much more maneuverable and, of course, lighter.

This was a gift from my brother-in-law, who upgraded to a carbon bike. This has been a great bike for me -- 6'2", 250 -- as I work on getting back in shape. It's quick, comfortable, and strong. Not built for the Tour de France, but a great training/recreational bike for the above-average cyclist.

Similar Products Used: Trek 800 MTB, Panasonic DX-3000
flangy   Recreational Rider [Apr 26, 2010]
Strength:

high quality frame, components.

compact gearing can spin out going downhill, standard seat, wheels and brakes not that great.

Trek 2.3, carbon stays, compact gearing, really has been a fantastic bike. Very stable, nice geometry, light and fast. Waited 2 yrs and 2K+ miles to review it. This is a great training bike. I have ridden a CAAD9 and this is similar, but w/a better ride.

Similar Products Used: Trek 1200.
back of the main field   Recreational Rider [Jul 25, 2009]
Strength:

Geometry balances comfort, stability, and handling well
Pretty
Reliable (I hope, anyway, because this bike will need to last several years!)
Price-Past this price point, it's diminishing returns from any brand. For a noticeably better bike, you'd have to spend $700-1000 more, which in my household was better spent on a double Chariot trailer.

Look closely - seat & tires will need replacing. If you race at all, you might add wheels & brakes to the upgrade list. I know that's hypocritical after extolling the price, though.
Bumpy roads=bumpy ride
Not aero or ultralight or super flashy, so if you ride with dentists & trust fund babies, you'll need to swallow your pride.

With 1000 km on the bike, we're starting to get to know eachother. Nice light bike for rec riding at a good price. Stiff, solid comfortable ride feel. The lowish BB height, tall head tube & medium wheelbase make it easy to stay upright and moving forward, comfortable at any location on the handlebar, but you are aware of the bumps in the road. All components reliable so far, no loss in performance in the rain. Brakes could use centering adjustment screw but have decent power, seat brought back memories of the plastic bmx seat I had 25 years ago (not a good thing!), tires are low quality and 25mm, not 23mm, but work fine for now. I know the B-brand "race" wheels aren't the sexiest, but work well and I feel faster with bladed spokes. LOVING compact cranks, for all the quirks that go with them. Often requires simultaneous front and rear shifting to get into the right gear, but it's nice to have such a huge range w/o the trim issues of a triple. Impressed so far with 105 components.

demora   Recreational Rider [May 21, 2009]
Strength:

The aluminum frame with the carbon fork and stays seems to absorb vibration. It rides solid. Shifting is very smooth. The 105 shifters work very well with the ultegra derailer. You can move through the gears quickly without missing a beat. I previously had a 105 derailer and it constantly needed adjusted and the chain would hop off a lot. Not this set up. Climbing is a breeze with the compact cassette. The gearing seems to go down lower than the triple I had previously. The crankset is very quiet. I love the bike.

Bontrager seat is not a soft ride. I will probably upgrade at some point. The white handlebar tape will have to go.
I have only had the bike going on two months so I want to see how the Bontrager race lite tires do over time.
Going down large hills, pedaling with the high gears does not keep up at high speeds like the triple did. The name Bontrager is seen on the bike a lot more than the Trek name.

I moved up from the Trek 1200, triple , to a 2008 Trek 2.3. I absolutely love it. I have a compact cassette and have left all other stock components on for now. The bike is very smooth on the road. Shifting with the 105 shifters and the Ultegra derailer are very clean. You do have to watch for the front wheel overlap on slow, sharp turns with clipless pedals. It handles steady going down hills. I have had it to about 33 mph and it has been solid. It has been a gem going up steep hills. It climbs very well. I have been riding for 20 years and this is probably your best bet before jumping into all carbon, racing bicycles.

Similar Products Used: Trek 1200, triple ring.
eisidor   Recreational Rider [Apr 23, 2009]

This is my first true road bike, so it's hard to compare this to another brand, but I can say that after a year I'm very happy with the bike. I originally wanted a cheaper bike (since this was just an excercise thing for me), but luckily I was talked into this one. I think this bike is the bare minimum in terms of road bikes that you won't quickly outgrow. If you go a level down you'll end up with thumb shifters and other lame components. If you go a level up, the bike and components just get lighter and stiffer, but no more functional.

As far as the price goes, since I bought this I've seen other brands with similar components for a little less money (Giant, Novarro, etc..) but I still don't feel ripped off by any means. Supposedly the way Trek forms the frame tubes adds to the cost, and they do a lot of R&D on the frame angles and such, but it's hard for me to say whether that's worth the brand premium. I can say that my bike hardly ever needs a tuneup and feels as solid as the day I bought it.

svcook   Recreational Rider [Mar 27, 2009]
Strength:

I have the compact double so shifting is crisp and sure in the front. The bike seams very steady at high speeds and through corners. I've had the bike up to about 38 mph so far and it seems solid, steady, capable and wanting to go faster. The breaks provide good stoping ability. The 10 speed cassette allows for excellent close grear rations, but the compromise is that you need a lot of strength up big hills. The finish quality on the components is high.

Break pads that come on the bike are terrible. The color/paint on the vinyl seat is rubbing off. Mine is a 2007 model and I think the white/silver/red color scheme is boring. The white handle bar tape will look dirty in a short amount of time.

The bike rides like a dream. Fast on the flats and like a rocket down hills. Handling is great but watch out of for toe overlap on the front wheel. The wheels are an upgrade over the 2.1 and seem to be worth the extra money. Shifting is fast and accurate. The bike seems responsive to my pedal strokes, expecially when climbing. I've had no issues with the seat like many reviewers. The aluminum frame seems stiff and the carbon fork seems to dampen much of the road vibration. The Bongrager race tires provide what seems to be good traction. The the fit/finish and paint are excellent. The low count, bladed spoke wheels are light and durable.

Similar Products Used: Specialzed Rub Comp. Fuji road bike. Trek 2.1.