Trek 2200 Triple Road Bike

2200 Triple

Frame Material: aluminum, carbon seat stays
Frame Angles: 73.8 head, 73.5 seat
Rear Der: Shimano Ultegra GS
Pedals: Shimano PD-M520 SPD
Tires: 700 x 25c Bontrager Race Lite

Robert Alcasabas   Road Racer [Jun 01, 2007]
Strength:

Handling and climbing are exceptional. The bottom bracket is stiff enough to be responsive and when I am in the racing tuck I can power up efficiently and maintain my rpm's for a long time. Ride with the rear OCLV seatstay is borderline plush.

NONE

I have a 2004 model with the baja blue color and silver graphics. I used to use this as my main road rig but since I upgraded to a 2006 FELT F55 I transferred my components/grouppo. However, I converted this bike to a "budget" time trial training bike and have not been disappointed. This baby can "fly" even with this 46 year old engine!

Similar Products Used: 2006 Felt F55, 2001 Fuji Roubaix, 2002 Bianchi Eros, Giant Kronos, Diamondback Interval, Centurion Accordo, Benotto, Miyata.
rmlarson   Recreational Rider [May 07, 2007]
Strength:

Good looking bicycle made in USA, light and quick.

Stock saddle - why doesn't Bontrager just give up on their entry level seats?

After 20+ years on a hardtail aluminum mountain bike, the smooth well-damped ride is a pleasure. The bike is light & quick; I have to pay a little more attention but the agility is worth it. This is my first experience with Shimano components; Ultegra group works extremely well - the brakes are amazing.
The Bontrager wheels catch a LOT of side wind, like the quick handling something that requires a litle getting used to. The stock saddle was awful (as countless reviews made clear)and I had a new Koobi waiting when I took delivery of the bike. One decal already peeled off, but all in all a beautiful ride!

Similar Products Used: Only other road bike was a early Fuji 12 speed (circa 1973) tourer. It was stolen, and it's been all-terrain bikes since.
Russ A .   Recreational Rider [Dec 28, 2006]
Strength:

Everything but the seat.

Still looking

Read the rest of the reviews,I agree with them.The bike is outstanding,the seat sucks.

Similar Products Used: Trek 1000.Canondale 500 with lots of up grads
Bayport24   Road Racer [Nov 20, 2006]
Strength:

Plush ride, good climbing and sprinting without flexing in the bottom bracket. Welds are smooth and aesthetically pleasing compared to my old Fuji.

Still trying to get used to the plushier ride - sometimes I feel that I am not as "in touch with the road" as I was with the Roubaix. But hey, my back feels great.
This bike is about 9 oz heavier than my Roubaix, but I will gladly choose the comfort of the TREK over such a low weight difference.

I bought this 2004 frame only with its original OCLV fork on EBay. I had a 2001 Fuji Roubaix which was 7005 series aluminum. The Fuji was extremely light, but with me being 45 years old it was taking a toll on my back. Anyway, I have a 1990's vintage Trek 1200 as a knockaround bike and I wanted a frame with carbon seatstays as well as one made in the USA - hence, TREK was my first choice.
This new rig has some of my old components transferred to it from my Fuji Roubaix: FSA Team Issue triple crank with titanium bottom bracket, Campy Veloce shifters and rear derailleur,Campy Chorus front derailleur,Campy Centaur brakes,Ritchey comp seatpost,Easton E50 stem, Salsa Pro Racing handlebars, Shimano 540 SPD-SL pedals, Selle Italia Prolink gel saddle, Velocity Spartacus Pro wheelset, and Hutchinson Fusion Long Distance tires.
Essentially, after 500 miles I can tell that previously bumpy pavement here in central Texas is definitely smoothed out with the carbon seatstays. I mean, I would ride on some ridged pavement that would castrate me as well as rattle my fillings and now with the 2200 it is very plush. I know that this is a good frame with a good rep.
I used to race in Cat 5 12 years ago, and even now am trying to get back into Cat 5 Team Time trials. Mainly I do fitness riding and charity rides to keep my sanity.
I most likely will keep this rig for 2 or 3 years than go up to full carbon.

Similar Products Used: 2001 Fuji Roubaix, 2002 Bianchi EROS,Giant Kronos, Diamondback Interval, Centurion Accordo, Benotto, Miyata.
bobcatnorth   Recreational Rider [Nov 26, 2004]
Strength:

Smooth, fast, great looking bike (blue colour is very attractive), has got some wow factor (especially after moving up from a 21 year old Bianchi).

This bike seduced me into the joy of cycling and I have overdone it for the year. Now recovering from an overuse cycling related sports injury :(

Finally upgraded my Bianchi Sports Touring model after 21 years. What a difference. Can now keep up on hilly club rides. This bike just seems to fly. Has helped me to make a quantum leap in my cycling ability, because this bike is so much more fun to ride. It's so smooth, and it just wants to climb up those hills. I have put more than 2000 kms on this bike and have had a lot of fun with this. The LBS has been very helpful.

Similar Products Used: My 1983 Bianchi, which is a whole lot heavier, works well on the flats, but no comparison on the hills.
dudamas1   Recreational Rider [Oct 24, 2004]
Strength:

Smooth supple ride, great value, great LBS customer service.

Bontrager Race Lite tires, tubes, and the stock saddle. Cheesy decal graphics.

After riding mountain bikes for twenty years, I decided to get a road bike to see what all the fuss is about. Boy, was I missing out on all the fun! I didn't want to spend a whole lot of money for my first road bike, so after dozens of test rides on different bike frame materials and manufacturer brands, I decided to get the Trek 2200. This bike has a good frame and components. The ride is smooth and the frame is stiff enough for me. Well, after riding a mtb on technical trails any ride on asphalt is smooth to me. I immediately replaced the stock saddle with another brand (personal preference). I also replaced the Bontrager inner tubes because the presta valve stem broke while I was pumping up my tire after a flat. I also replaced the second tube after I got a hole in the tube where the presta valve and inner tube meets.

Similar Products Used: None other than store test rides.
Dark Arrow   Recreational Rider [Oct 09, 2004]
Strength:

Ultegra driveline 105 FDerail Shifters 105 Brakes Trek's warranty

The seat is horrible replace asap. Not much else it's a nice bike. A little pricey when comparing to similar bikes with the same components / Frame.

Very nice bike at this price. Very smooth and agile. I would hae prefered the Race Lite wheels over the Bontrager race wheels which is the same as the 2100

iamhu   Recreational Rider [Apr 26, 2004]
Strength:

Frame is stiff, light, and very stable. Carbon stays absorb vibrations beautifully....fast and very responsive. Exceptionally smooth ride.

Didn't like that seat from the get go. Changed to a Selle.

Best purchase I made in ten years. The bike rides so smooth, it's incredible. Going up hills is a dream. I actually think of places to go, just so that I can ride my bike. This bike definitly make me feel guilty riding a car.