Trek 5000 Road Bike

• Bontrager Race Lite 53/39 or 52/42/30 Crankset
  • Shimano Ultegra Rear Derailleur

[Apr 17, 2016]
JODY JOHNSEN

Strength:

Light, strong, tall enough for my long legs with the most impressive shifting mechanism I've seen and it is fast!!!

It's short in the front, so I feel like I'm moving head first into traffic so I swapped out the handlebars for a taller aluminum pair. I'm much happier with it now.

I just bought this bike used from a retailer in Miami. I nearly bought an English touring bike but the owner answered the phone leaving me alone. I picked up both bikes and carried them around for a minute simulating carrying it up a flight of stairs. I fell in love with the Trek. I don't race so I took off the racing tires, handlebars and pedals. What an amazing street bike it has become. This is my first graphite, it's tall, fast and I am delighted with it! For those considering a Trek racer, I am over 50, female, frugal and active. So if you are too I recommend the 5000!!

[Jan 04, 2016]
Michael S. Mathis

Strength:

Stiff and light and very responsive and can carry a heavy man.

Bought this bike new in 2003 and have put 15K + miles on it in races and mostly training rides throughout Texas and New Mexico. I liked the paint scheme over a specialized, which was a little lighter by .3 lbs.. This one weighed in at 16.6 lbs in a 54cm frame. Talk about a smooth ride. I road a Schwinn Letour 50 miles one day when I was in my late 20's and thought I would die even though I had been riding 20 miles several times a week. At 50, after buying this bike and riding if for a couple of weeks, I rode 60 miles and could not believe that I did not die! lol A great bike for my first carbon bike and one that I will keep until I cannot ride anymore. Thanks Trek for a great ride! I am now in the process of upgrading this one into a compact x 11 speed to ride in Thailand where I now live. For the money, I cannot find a replacement Trek near as light as this one so that is why I am upgrading this frame.

Trek Superfly 9.6 mtb hardtail, Trek 6300 mtb, and a Trek Gary fisher Advanced mtb.

[Mar 29, 2013]
richard

Strength:

Exellent and I have one for sale 619) 634-5904

None I have an extra one for sale

Am located in rancho bernardo am a student and I have a trek 5000 for sale exellent condition 1000 for it thanks will mail it u pay the cost thank you.

[May 16, 2011]
Frank Bandelow

Strength:

Comfort, Durability, Nice to look at.

Some of the original parts, seat, wheels etc.

I have had this ride now for 5yrs, and I always threaten to upgrade, never have and probly never will. The $2300 are cdn funds. This ride and I have an understanding...it's great when you get to this level with a ride. When I first got it I went down twice...HARD...lots of skin left on asphalt and destoyed so nice kits. The bike suffered a few minor scatches that Mercedes silver touched up nicely. I cycle about 4500k per year, lots of hills and distances. This ride preforms awesomely. Its a frame that,over time, will lend itself to many nice upgrades without dropping a small fortune on a new ride.

None really, tried this and that but kept coming back

[Feb 15, 2010]
LMA

Strength:

High carbon frame quality for the money. It is worthy to do upgrades as needed.

Bontrager components, except the seatpost

I bought this bike in Sept 2004, as a 2005 model. It is the OCLV 120 frame with OCLV 110 fork. So, after more than 5 years of training and racing on it, I guess, I can give my feelings about it. This review will be more on the frame which is worthy of future upgrades, than in the bontrager components, which I think, are of low quality in general, at leats in these price range. I've put on the miles (2500-3000/year) and the frame looks to be able to take it in stride, able to hold true over the long haul on rough training roads.The best advantage about this bike geometry is its ablity to climb, and accelerate in intervals as go up.

no much to compared

[Feb 14, 2010]
jarhead-usmc

Strength:

The price for what you get..... Compared to my Madones, it really is a great bike !!!!!!

The stock saddle and the Bontrager Select wheels.... But the wheels are great for training......

I currently own 4 Madones (3 with OCLV 55 and 1 with OCLV 110) and got this bike as a training bike.... Wow was I surprised on how well the TCT carbon rode.... The only change out I did was the seatpost and saddle (Switched to Bontrager X-lite post and Selle San Marco Aspide Composite saddle).... Very surprised on how well this bike performs for the price..... Plus the silver paint looks great !!!!! Compared to my Madones, I really love this bike.... Now I am going to build it with DA 7800 and put on Bontrager X lite wheels.....

2007 Trek Madone 6.9 SSL Stock, 2007 Trek Madone 6.9 SSL Project One, 2005 Trek Madone SSL, 2005 Trek Madone 5.9 SL, 2003 Trek 5900, 2003 Trek 5200

[Dec 12, 2009]
Harriet Miller

Strength:

smooth, shimano ultegra componentry is nice

seat is horrible, and bontrager tires are crap

had it for 2 years and have had zero problems, great value for money for a full carbon bike. Have had 2 quite bad crashes on it and it's still going strong! Great first all carbon bike

giant alloy

[May 30, 2009]
Brian Davis

Strength:

Smooth shifting on flats and hills.

Changed seat after first ride. Bontrager tires are fair. Changed them out within 2 months.

My first "real" bike coming off Trek 370. Steel frame and carbon fork. Great price for all carbon frame, 105 components. Did not come with a triple.
Changed to compact crank. Smooth ride on all types of roads.

[May 11, 2009]
Havoc

Strength:

Road damping, triple cranks

Heavier than I expected for a carbon bike. My Cannondale aluminum is much lighter. Suspect the heavier weight are from the stock Bontrager Select wheelset. Stock seat was horrible, numbingly painful and swapped it out. Paint and faux carbon decals covered the natural beauty of carbon fiber.

My first all carbon bike. Like how it smooths out a ride. Especially the longer rides. Initially did not like having triple cranks and was going to change to standard double cranks. But after several hill rides decided to keep it.

Cannondale R700

[Mar 10, 2009]
Kip

Strength:

A very comfortable ride. The gears match my abilities well and the handling is very good.

The bike is not as light as I thought it would be and it is not as responsive as some hybrid (carbon/steel) bikes I tried. I worry that the frame might crack as I do ride in cold weather.

This is my first full carbon and I liked the ride. It feels smooth and is comfortable. Have been on several centuries and the bike is solid and predictable