Trek Emonda Road Bike

Trek Emonda Road Bike

Every detail of the Émonda line, from frame design to each component choice on every model, serves the same audacious goal: to create the lightest line of production road bikes ever offered. The entire Émonda line is unbelievably light, with sensational ride-tuned balance and handling that elevate Trek ride performance to a whole new level.

[Sep 16, 2018]
JnRyan

Strength:

Very much like the older Madones of 2009-2011 in performance and handling. Performance is outstanding and ride is great.

This frame was a replacement for an older Madone 5.2 that did not hold up and a manufacturers defect was eventually noted by the bike shop. So far the bottom bracket does not seem to be the HIGHLY sensitive and maintenance intensive BB of my past Madone. Still if you are ever caught out in the rain or even do a ride on wet road, plan on removing the BB as soon as possible as water enters it very easily and the bearings will be gone in short order. If you're not caught out in the rain or you ride only dry roads, plan on overhauling and replacing bearings about twice a year. The headset, unfortunately, doesn't appear to be as durable a design as my older Madone and the design on the Madone was poor to start with. Plan on overhauling it once or twice a year and replace at least the upper bearing, if not both, each time. Again, if you are caught in the rain headset will have to be disassembled and regreased. When washing my bike I've learned to avoid washing this area and instead clean it with bike cleaner or polish applied to rag and wipe it down. I don't know whether it is the bike design or the Shimano components but the cable don't last near as long as my previous bikes. But these same components came over from my other bike.

Purchased:
New
Model Year:
2016
[Aug 16, 2018]
coondogger

Strength:

Bike is light and nimble without being squirrely. Excels on hills even with the 34:28 gearing it comes standard with. Feels very stable on fast downhills. I’ve road on smooth roads, pitted roads, and even a half mile of gravel on my first ride on this bike. For the price, I’m more than impressed.

I wouldn’t consider this a weakness, but the bike would be improved by better wheels, and a 34T cog on the rear cassette. Love this bike.

Purchased:
New
Model Year:
2019
[Sep 26, 2016]
Alex

Strength:

1. Great lightweight climber
2. Superb ride comfort, especially on 25c rubber
3. H2 Geometry works great for me
4. Confidence inspiring handling

1. Wheelset is a weak spot, to be expected at this price-point
2. Saddle was terrible for me, my friend has the same one on his Domane 5.2 and likes it
3. Handlebars are meh, the variable radius is not something I like, and I feel cramped in the drops. Will change them out though, this is a personal thing, not really a fault of the bike

This review is for a 2016 TREK Emonda SL6, so not quite the $15,000 SLR10, but a mere mortal $3,000.

I've ridden this bike around 700 miles so far, and have been pleased.The 500 series carbon hits what many believe to be the sweet spot for weight/stiffness/cost, between the S and SLR models.

The full 6800 Ultegra grouppo works as you'd expect and has needed only minor adjustments to account for initial cable stretch

Lots of people around me ride the Domane, and while the idea of that was nice, I really liked the more traditional frame design of the Emonda. The seat mast on the SL and SLR models definitely aids in comfort, but doesn't have the same bobbing effect of the Domane with the decoupler. Addditionally, the lower headtube allows for a more agressive position for race-day or fast flat riding, or a more upright position for longer days in the saddle.

I would not hesitate to recommend this bike to anyone.