Trek Pilot 1.0 Road Bike

Crank: Bontrager Sport 52/42/30
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Tiagra
Sizes: 50, 52, 54, 56, 58, 63cm

Odanov Bennette   Triathlete [Oct 13, 2010]
Strength:

lightweight' smooth rear derallier shifting'strong rims and tires. very very responsive

front derailleur, shifhting to large crank
not smooth

Great ride through streets of oakland counties through Stoney creek park this bike handled it like a ferrari at the Indy 500. smooth ride,very light great braking,handled a slight downpour with n o slip. Gear changed like butter on hot toast. Used to ride 1972 Schwinn world and Giant road bike. This is the best entry level road bike out there

Similar Products Used: raliegh sport, giant entry road bike
Felt Z100
nebti5   Recreational Rider [Oct 06, 2008]
Strength:

Comfortable. Strong wheels--4000 miles and barely out of true.

Front derailleur

I've put 4000 miles on this bike since purchasing it in 2006. My last road bike was a 1974 Raleigh Super Course. Things have changed...

I've found this to be a reliable, responsive bike. It's comfortable, relatively fast and inexpensive. When I ride friends' $7,000 all-carbon superbikes I notice they're more responsive, feel tighter and shift more surely, but frankly, I'm as happy with my Pilot as I'd be with a super bike. My Pilot costs less to fall on and you don't mind an occasional scratch from the car carrier. In fact, I throw it on the carrier with the kids' junkers without worrying.

For someone simply seeking an economical bike to exercise on, to ride comfortably and reasonably fast on the road, this is a great choice.

tba1978   Recreational Rider [May 13, 2008]
Strength:

Stock setup is very comfortable. Adaptable: You can flip the stem, take off the spacers, and put your saddle at a correct height in order to ride in a more aggressive position.

Fairly heavy, not very stiff/responsive. Gear shifting is moody, sometimes poor. Three chainrings up front are excessive, as you can basically get the same thing with a 50/34 compact setup.

This a a fair entry-level/beginner road bike. Once you get in shape and bike often, you soon realize that it is indeed an entry-level bike, and you soon wish you had an intermediate-level bike. If you're just a casual/recreational rider, it's a fine bike. But if you're athletic and/or competitive with yourself, you'll soon want to go with a better/more expensive bike.

Similar Products Used: None
Denise Hawkins   Recreational Rider [Apr 27, 2008]
Strength:

*comfort
*performance and durability
*great looks- even though geometry is more upright
*some carbon components- great value for price

*shifting
*stock seat

This is my first road bike, and I'm not easy to fit due to my height (5'10" woman) and a chronic back condition. I road-tested nearly a dozen bikes. This was the only one that didn't send my back into pain after a mile or two. Put a few hundred miles on it first summer, last summer. Have ridden in all conditions, even snow. This bike is great. Getting a new seat is the only upgrade I'd recommend. Some trouble shifting into largest ring, but hey, nothing's perfect. I love my bike!

parishpriest   Road Racer [Dec 23, 2007]
Strength:

gear changing and smoothness

tendency to have a bit of speed wobble at 40mph

the trek pilot is a great bike for road riding especially on acessents and for gear changing. on smooth flat roads it rides like a dream but on slightly rough roads it is a bit messy, big decents have caused some whell wobble on occasions but sytill it is a great bike.

Similar Products Used: raleigh spirit
Otto   Recreational Rider [May 09, 2007]
Strength:

Comfort, comfort, and comfort. Quick and responsive. Brakes are solid and vibration for me is minimal.

The saddle. My bottom deserves better. Wheels but for what I paid, they'll do until I decide to drop money on a new set.

This is my second road bike. I actually downgraded from a Tommasini and was quite surprised at how smooth of a ride it is for entry level. For longer distance non racing rides, this bike rocks and is very comfy. The only upgrade I've made to this point is a Selle San Marco saddle. I havent had any issues with the front deraiuler which I've read for this component set up is sloppy.

Similar Products Used: Trek 1000, Giant OCR and Tommasini Tecno
kjf   Recreational Rider [Nov 18, 2006]
Strength:

Comfortable geometry, carbon fork and seat post, looks great.

Sora components, but you get what you pay for.

This is the best deal I could find for an entry level bike (price above is Canadian $). I am 6'4", so I need a large frame (I got a 63 cm). I like the compact geometry on big frames, it looks much better. I don't like the look of the TREK 1000 in a large frame size. The bike geometry is very comfortable, but it still looks racy.