Trek Pilot 5.0 Road Bike

• Bontrager Race Lite 52/42/30 Crankset
  • Shimano Dura-Ace Rear Derailleu

[Feb 28, 2018]
optobotomus

Strength:

Very lightweight carbon frame, very comfortable, and very fast.

None so far.

Price Paid:
Purchased:
Used
Model Year:
2008
[Nov 13, 2013]
Lombard

Strength:

Carbon gives good road vibration dampening
More upright ride position
Triple crankset

Lateral flex in frame
Bontrager Race wheels are prone to cracking around spoke eyelets

This review is for the 2007 Trek Pilot 5.0. I bought it at an LBS as a year-end clearance and got $600 off retail. Carbon frame is very light and absorbs that “road buzz” very well. More relaxed upright geometry is great for long rides and unless you are into serious racing, will not noticeably slow you down. Triple crankset is great for hill climbs. I even replaced the original 11-25T cassette with an 11-32T. Ultegra rear derailleur is only designed for cassettes 30T or smaller but there are ways to work around that. LBS removed a chain link and put in a longer derailleur B-adjust screw to eliminate the “motor boating” noise and resulting premature wear of the plastic pulley clashing with the gear when in the largest cog. It’s a great hill climber now and my knees thank me!

On the downside, the frame is somewhat laterally flexy. This makes it feel less stable and confidence inspiring than a stiffer frame. I guess the same carbon qualities that give it that nice shock absorption also make it flex more laterally? Also, at 4,000 miles, the rear wheel developed cracks at the spoke eyelets. This was noticed after I broke a spoke. Apparently, this was a design defect with the Bontrager Race wheels where the spokes were grouped in pairs which created stress points on the rim. I had the rear wheel replaced with a Mavic Aksium. Front wheel is still OK as it does not take anywhere near the load but I will be keeping an eye on it.

I consider stock saddles “throw aways”. This one was no different.

Overall, I am happy with the bike at a good price point for a full-carbon frame bike with mostly good quality components and more upsides than downsides. Sadly, this is one of the last full carbon road bikes with a triple crankset. It is also one of the last USA Made bikes by Trek.

2002 Cannondale Silk 400 Adventure Hybrid Bike

[Mar 16, 2011]
dan

Strength:

comfort and fast

none!

I have ridden many bikes over the years, and this is by far the most comfortable and fastest bike. It is extremely responsive and stiff.

calfee tetra pro

[Jun 28, 2010]
dhgluscuba

Strength:

light weight, great handling

none for me

I love my Trek. The Pilot 5.0 has great geometry for me - bad back, slightly older, looking for good combination of comfort and road speed.

Cannondale

[Feb 10, 2009]
Brad Baggaley

I purchased this bike to use for commuting ~ 28 miles round trip to work. This is the first road bike I've used in decades so I was impressed with the weight, ride and look. I test rode other aluminum bikes and was not impressed with the teeth charing rides. This light weight ride did well to absorb road imperfections.

[Aug 09, 2008]
medwards

Strength:

Light carbon frame, geometry designed to reduce stress on back and neck, quick, responsive

I'm turning 60 in a few weeks and was looking for a road bike that would be responsive, forgiving, and not too hard on my back. I ride to keep in shape. The 2008Trek Pilot 5.0 fit the bill. Light,responsive, with a geometry that doesn't put too much stress on my back and neck, it is quite a bit quicker than my Trek 7.7FX, climbs more easily, and seems to absorb the road a bit better. There are those that say this is an "old man's" bike. Well, I guess I fit that characterization...and this bike is just fine for me. But Id be very surprised if it was an ecellent choice for riders of any age who seek a rather comfortable yet responsive bike.

Tested the Cannondale Synapse and the Specialized Roubaix. The differences between similarly priced models weren't great. The Tek was a better fit for me.

[Jun 19, 2008]
Goods58

Strength:

Older man's geometry without sacrificing speed. Braise ons for commuting or touring. Comfortable and responsive.

The saddle took a little getting used to, and I may consider replacing it eventually. My wheels tend to "whistle" at speeds above 30 mph, or in heavy crosswinds. It is not a performance issue, but is a bit annoying.

My bike is really a 2008, but that wasn't a choice. I am very happy with the purchase. I just turned 50, and my Trek 5200 geometry just wasn't cutting it anymore. The response of the bike is phenomenal considering the more upright ride. I am far more comfortable than I ever imagined, and am noticing very little difference in overall speed. The braise ons for a rack are a huge plus, as I commute 16 miles each day and can accommodate my needs with panniers or a trunk bag. I also am a weekend warrior, and ride 20-100 miles per weekend. That is when the fun truly begins. I am not as tired as I used to get, and my neck and back thank me for this bike. I live in very hilly terrain, and truly appreciate the ease of climbing with the more upright position. I climb faster now than with the 5200. Our rodes also took a beating this last Winter, and I appreciate the damping of the carbon frame vs. aluminum or steel. It is a smooth ride comparatively.

Trek 5200-I traded this in for the more favorable geometry. I also test rode a Trek Madone in the $2600 range and a Trek Pilot 2.1. I also tried similar Specialized selling for $2100.

[May 02, 2008]
setibiker

Strength:

Perfect combination of speed, strength, beauty.

Stock seat was not comfortable and was replaced at time of purchase. Otherwise, bike is flawless at 1100 miles.

First carbon bike I've owned and I have been extremely pleased. I see little reason to consider the more expensive Madone or similar higher cost carbon bikes. This bike is VERY good.

Felt 80 aluminum with carbon fork. Trek is much better all around and the upright geometry is better suited for my 58 year old Clydesdale physique.

[Feb 08, 2008]
downtown

Strength:

Comfort, color, style.

Stock saddle and brake pads.

I wanted a race type bike but with a more upright comfortable feel, and this bike is it. Everything about this bike is great except for the stock Bontrager saddle and the Cane Creek brake pads. Upgraded to a Specialized Avatar gel saddle and KoolStop salmon brake pads.

Trek 1400

[Dec 23, 2007]
Bill Boggs

Strength:

Looks like a comfort bike. Honestly I don't care. But it does get comments to that effect, for what they are worth. Bulletproof.

Wheelset is a bit heavy.

Abolutely great bike. 2700 miles with no problems. Replaced wheelset with Easton Circuit. I ride 20 to 30 miles every day.
I paid $1499 at the end of year sale. Free adjustments for life.

Bianchi 929C2C Not as upright or comfortable for long rides.