Trek Portland Road Bike

• Rear Derailleur - Shimano 105
• Sizes - 50, 52, 54, 56, 58, 60, 63cm
• Color - Ucru Pearl

Mr.Ice807   Commuter [Nov 02, 2010]
Strength:

Light for what it is. Disc Brakes. Rides nice. Very fast.

For commuting the stock fenders could be better.

I've wanted one of these for over 3 years. Then one day I found a 2007 left over in my size. I had to have it! Ultimately for my this IS my road bike. I like disc brakes. It's that simple. My GF Mendota is my commuter work horse. Until now the 07 model was the last year for the Avid BB7 brakes. From my experience Shimano and Tektro disc brakes suck. If they are set up properly and broken in BB7's cant be beat for feel and sure stopping power. This bike would make a great commuter. It's light for what it is, handles great and; the 24 spoke wheels take more abuse than you think they would. I weigh 210lbs and they take my abuse. Get one you won't regret it!!

flexnet9   Recreational Rider [Oct 17, 2009]
Strength:

Built very solidly. Good equipment.

Avid brake squeal. Also, play in the brake cables allows too much lever travel, no matter how much adjusting I do. The widened bottom of the shift paddle chews away at the handlebar tape.

The stock fenders are worthless.

Because the rear brake cable is routed along the top of the left chain stay, I still haven't figured out how to mount a combination speed & cadence sensor that would usually go on that stay.

This is the 2008 model year, with pure 105 drivetrain and Avid BB7 brakes.

I use this bike to commute, usually 4 days a week. It's 5.5 miles each way, absolutely flat, over lots of distressed (asphalt-patched) concrete, ridden as short hard intervals between stop signs and lights. I can usually cruise at 20-22 mph, but at a significantly higher level of effort than on my road bike. Carrying a rack with pannier bag containing laptop and clothes, the bike feels solid, tracks straight, and corners well. It's held up well; one wheel needed truing early on, but no repairs since.

I replaced the stock saddle with a racing saddle I had retired after 5 years of use.

DaHerbert   Commuter [Nov 12, 2008]
Strength:

Smooth ride. The disk brakes are excellent. Upright position. Looks great.

The stock fenders are junk, but OK for light conditions.

This bike is everything I wanted in a daily commuter. The disk brakes are exceptional in any weather condition. It's fairly light and extremely smooth. I've added a Topeak rear rack, "real" fenders, and a complete Dinotte lighting system to make this the ultimate commuter bike. It does not dissappoint.

Boilermaker19   Commuter [Aug 04, 2008]
Strength:

Comfort, light weight, great brakes, wet riding

24-spoke wheels may prove to buckle under extreme use, but they have held up fine thus far.

I love this bike! It is perfect for my daily commute, and performs well on club rides also. It is sturdy yet lightweight, and the disc brakes stop on a dime, even when wet. I may not win any road races, what with the extra drag from the discs, but it's probably the nimblest and fastest commuter out there. The price is high, but you get what you pay for. The 105's are great, and the ride is very comfortable, though you'll need to replace the stock saddle. Teh saddle and the addition of a rear rack (very handy for groceries and work clothes) are the only mods I have made.

suedehead77   Commuter [Mar 26, 2008]
Strength:

I felt instantly confident in tight traffic situations. Agile, aggressive handling. Awesome disc breaks. Love the Shimano triple 10s; smooth shifting.

A little heavier and slower than it should be. The disc breaks cause an airflow drag that slows you down on the flats.

Great city bike for a city with lots of hills. Great disc breaks, good climbing and descending. Agile, aggressive handling; upright position so you can see traffic. Love the Shimano triple 10s. Expensive, but most similar bikes have lesser equipment.

Similar Products Used: Cannondale Road Warrior 700 (2002). The C'dale is lighter and faster on the flats.