Van Dessel Sports Hellafaster Road Bike

The Hellafaster is race-ready and pro-caliber. So when it comes to performance, it does not mess around. After the rocket-like jump you get from the oversized stays, airfoil cross-section tubes provide added getaway ability for nabbing primes, dropping opponents on a stiff climb, or simply outrunning Johnny Law. Then add some aero bars, adjust the seat position and the Hellafaster takes on a new identity -- TT bike.

Bill   [Sep 01, 2015]
Strength:

Stiffness, ride quality, acceleration, reposnsiveness and handling.

A little heavy, but who cares?

Was intrigued by this frame and finally pulled the trigger. My 60cm frame is a 2015 model, built in the US. Built up with SRAM Force 22, and HED Ardennes 25mm wheels with 25mm tires. I am a tall rider: 6'3", 214 pounds. This frame and set-up is ideal for me. Stiffness is more important than the lightest possible weight for larger stronger riders. The 25 mm tires smooth any harshness. Despite the weight of 16.6 pounds, it climbs better than my carbon frames. My rides are faster (based on avg. speed on known routes) and descents are more confident. It has immediately become my favorite bike.

Arnold JPL   Recreational Rider [Mar 05, 2013]
Strength:

A got the bike with a full Campy Chorus group set, DT Swiss rims, carbon bars and crank and the upgraded carbon fork. Fast and fun too ride. High transfer of power to the pedals, firm in every aspect, easy to climb and build speed.

You lay on bike as it is low. Many people add spacers to the bars or change stem. I like just the way it is only having to dial seat to what I like.

A fast stiff bike that is a jewel to find. Went on Van Dessel website and are still available as frame or total build. No video or pictures as that is something they need to fix. People do equate Aluminum with less money but in the Van Dessel, looks alone determine this bike frame and forks is of high quality.

B-radical   Recreational Rider [Jul 05, 2011]
Strength:

Price, cool looking frame w/ shaped tubes and tapered carbom fork and aero post.

a bit twitchy on downhill corners.

Great price on ebay for frame/fork/post. Very stiff, lively for aluminum. Everything seemed aligned.

Similar Products Used: nothing similar, Carbon bikes before.
LJ   Recreational Rider [Dec 11, 2009]
Strength:

Stiff, fast, nice looking

quality issues with the early model. customer service sucks ass.

Really mixed reviews. Purchased the fame, fork, headset and seat post on ebay, and built up. No doubt the bike is stiff and fast. Much more so than my 853 Lemomd Zurich. It looks great too. However there are some quality and customer service issues that need to be considered before you buy one of these. Like the first reviewer, I could not put my 25m tires on the back. In my case the problem was an improperly placed rear brake bridge. I spoke to Van Dessel about this and they said some of the early models were placed incorrectly and as a reult the brake calipers sit lower than they're supposed to. So low that the tire hit the bottom of the rear caliper. So it was necessary to go to a 23m tire which allowed clearance under the brakes, but another problem arose in that the rear brake pad could not be raised high enough to fit inside the brake surface on the rear wheel. In other words, part of the brake pad was below the wheel's brake surface. Concerned about uneven brake and wheel wear, I adjusted the pads on an angle. Finally I think Van Dessel's customer service sucks. When I first mentioned this issuse to them, the asked me to remove the rear brake, and insert an allen key into the hole and twist the brake bridge into it's proper place. Hmmm, sounds like a broken frame to me. I'm also having trouble centering the saddle. The bike has one of thiose aero seat posts. I don't see how it's possible to adjust, but maybe it can be, but I just don't how how. And finally after 3 months, several calls, and several broken promises to send it, I finally received a paint touch up kit. Again, not totally disatisfied, but buyers need to be diligent before buying. I would not buy another Van Dessel bike.

Similar Products Used: Lemond Zurich
Specialized Allez
JoshLeibowitz   Road Racer [Oct 11, 2009]
Strength:

Best race bike for the money period and it won't shatter in a crash. It is very light for an aluminum bike (mine weighs in at exactly 16 pounds w/o pedals). The frame has several aero features that do make a difference you can feel on flats and descents. Best of all since it is from a small shop each bike is custom built and any setup is possible.

Harsher ride than carbon (not a problem for most racers). It is slightly heavier than a carbon bike, however for the similar price range it is actually lighter than most low end carbon bikes.

I highly recommend this bike. Van Dessel sells unique, incredible bikes and has great customer service to back it up. Overall I could not be more pleased with this purchase. I have already done several crits on it and it is quick, stiff, and very responsive. The only problems I have had are just the typical new bike problems. For example, upon purchase it creaked terribly and I couldn't figure out why. I thought the crank was defective or the BB30 bearings weren't sitting right, but it turned out I forgot to grease the pedal threads. Throughout this process their customer service was outstanding. The shop owner even rebuilt the bottom bracket and resat the BB30 crank bearings free of charge to make sure the crankset was not the cause of the noise. I highly recommend this bike to anyone interested in high quality race bike while saving some money at the same time.

seakay   Triathlete [Apr 14, 2009]
Strength:

Design, construction, weight, strength, price.

None!

This is an incredible frame. Very light, torsionally stiff, yet absorbs vibration like no other aluminum frame. The design of the seat and chain stays are very well thought out, designed and constructed. Carbon striaght rake fork tracks well and corners like mad. Sprints tremendous, climbs with ease and speeds very well. Best to order frame from your LBS and have them fit and build it. No bike should be built without you around.

Similar Products Used: Vast array of Allez
kaplanmaxe   Road Racer [Jan 02, 2009]
Strength:

Stiffness, cornering, dents instead of cracking, can be a road or TT bike, Price

None. The only thing I would say bad about this bike was the way Van Dessel set it up. They didn't put the components on correctly. I brought it to the bike shop and now I love it

This bike is absolutely amazing! I love it. This bike simply puts the power down. I have had no problems with it. I went from a top end carbon bike to the hellafaster and I am so glad I did. I feel so much faster on this baby. Even though it is aluminum, it is not that heavy. You can get it to around 16 pounds. You can also easily turn this into a TT bike. One of the best parts about this bike is that you don't have to worry about it breaking. If you crash, it will dent it won't crack. I wouldn't trade it in for any other bike. Plus this thing is dirt cheap!

Similar Products Used: None
Max Kaplan   Road Racer [Oct 26, 2008]
Strength:

Pretty much everything

If you order straight from Van Dessel, they put the components on totally wrong

This bike is awesome. From climbing to crits it is perfect. I couldn't ask for anything more from it.

tonyhallowell   Recreational Rider [Aug 22, 2008]
Strength:

Nice looking frame would have looked good hanging on a wall. Decent weight for the price. Nice seatpost with clever adjustment tool. Nice oversize chainstays. It has potential to be a great bike if the wheel cutout was more than a 1/32" clearance.

Van Dessel could use some care and attention in the customer service department and the quality control area. Seemed to be somewhat careless build on the frame.

I ordered the bike frame through my local shop Roll at Easton and they are great! The Van Dessel Company is an altogether different story. I never even got to ride the bike. After getting the 1st frame assembled I realized the QC dept hadn't checked the bike as the wheel cutout was done wrong and the rear wheel rubbed. The 2nd bike wasn't much better, the wheel clearance was still not enough although the wheel spun. Van Dessel tried to tell me it was my tire (700X23 the size the bike is spec'ed for) The customer service sucked and I was dissapointed to say the least.