Wilier Izoard Road Bike

Izoard

The Wilier Izoard XP is deceptively similar to the Cento1 at a glance, perhaps close enough even to fool the learned observer. So should the Izoard XP make Cento1 owners a bit jealous? If you look at the price tag, it might. Where the ProTour-proven Cento1 commands a premium, the Izoard XP is specifically aimed at the racer on a budget. Though the paint scheme is simpler than the Cento1, the Izoard XP still carries itself with obvious Italian flair. And for a frame whose foremost intent is to deliver maximum performance-per-dollar, the fact that it's this gorgeous is a delightful bonus. Like the Cento1, the Izoard XP is built with full carbon monocoque construction. It's made exclusively from Toray carbon. In this case, T-700SC (medium modulus/stiffness) and M30J (high modulus/stiffness) fibers makes up the bulk of the laminate. In the typical calculus of carbon fiber, the stiffness and tensile properties of the highest grades (such as the 46 Ton carbon in the Cento1) allows frame manufacturers to use less material to achieve requisite rigidity and strength. By using T-700SC and M30J in the Izoard XP, Wilier is sacrificing nothing in terms of its ride quality and durability. Rather, they just use more material to achieve it, and this adds a few grams. The lower modulus carbon fiber is also significantly less expensive. Considering the beauty and the race-worthiness of the Izoard XP, the value is easy to see.Is there a better road racing frameset priced below $2,000? We can think of one or two that look equally stunning, but lack in the stiffness and lightness of the Izoard. And we can think of one or two that provide equal performance, but in comparison look like a dog. In this price range, the Izoard XP shines beyond all options. Its patented molding process and the carefully-thought-out wall thicknesses and carbon layup choices befit a frameset with a heftier price tag.One other note about the Izoard XP: It's named after the Col d'Izoard, arguably the most legendary pass in the French Alps. More so than in any other place, it's where Marco Pantani turned himself into a bike racing immortal (racing, no less, on a Wilier frameset). For all the technology behind the Izoard XP, its name reminds of the gigantic heritage of the Wilier brand.The Wilier Izoard XP is available in Red and Yellow and comes in six sizes from X-Small to XX-Large. It requires the use of a 31.6mm seatpost, a 34.9mm clamp-on front derailleur, and an English bottom bracket. Like any bike with a sloping top tube, we suggest that you focus on the effective top tube length in determining the correct frame size. It comes standard with a Wilier Monocoque carbon fork with an aluminum steerer.

Billybob   [May 31, 2013]
Strength:

Super bike for the money!

Could have a nicer wheel set. But, hey, it'd be more $$$$$.

Not sure where you could find a better bike for the same money. I had Competitive Cyclist build me one with SRAM Force instead of Rival for a few dollars more. What a surprise! Super ride - great handling - awesome feel. Climbs, descends, tracks. What else would you want. A good set of carbon wheels would double the price. I'm happy with the Mavics. Spend your retirement on a Cervalo. I'll stick with this guy!

Mike C   Road Racer [Apr 22, 2013]
Strength:

Price, decent climbing characteristics.

Dull, cheap wheels.

A buddy of mine picked this bike up with a Rival build for something around $2k. It came with pretty poor wheels, but other than that it should ride at least a little bit similarly to my Cervelo R3, no? No. Not even close. In fact, it rides worse than my aluminum clunker. I've never experienced a more lifeless, dull, lacking-fun ride and I've ridden in some miserable conditions. I ride and race about 10 hours a week so I love me some miles, but I actually just wanted this ride to stop. The bike actually felt like it wanted to go slower at all times. Maybe he got a dud somehow? I can't explain how the Izoard XP even garners average reviews.

If you're looking to somewhat deep into cycling (you're not shopping for hybrids at the same time), do yourself a favor and pick up something used (like I did with my Cervelo). $2k on a new bike versus $2k on a used bike? They're worlds apart.

Scotty   [Feb 06, 2013]
Strength:

2012 model, Compliant as many have said before for me easy geometry is very comfortable for the longer rides.
I only ride for my own pleasure never a racer so I could imagine it might not be stiff enough for the hardcore.
But that is not why I bought this bike. Its well mannered. stable and feels quick...It is my mistress.

external cables maybe, won't stay clean...(Not the bikes fault)

Mine is a little upgraded with sub 1500 gram DT swiss rims and tubeless. Changed the seat to a 135 gram Selle
makes this a great bike in the hills and with the tubeless just a beaut ride.

Mark Smith   Recreational Rider [Jul 17, 2012]
Strength:

chews the miles - I can sit on this babe all day and just ride - I have been told that guys actually have raced on these - but not being a Racer I would not know - I changed the Handlebars and Seat (personal preference) - and I have not looked back - climbs well, you can plant it well on corners and downhill too - Italians sure know how to make a Good Bike.

Wheels and Tyres were a let down so I brought some Fulcrum 1 with some Continentals - problem solved - its a tad expensive for what it is - but I dont see many people on them and they do turn heads.

I you want to churn the miles out all day this baby will do it for you and then some - its good on climbs and in the right hands will give the more expensive bikes a run for their money - just make sure you change the Wheels and Tyres and you will have hundreds of miles of fun on it - :)

Andrew Sumner   [Jun 21, 2012]
Strength:

The gear system on the handle bars is great. The tilt of the handle bars does need adjustment so that you can get a finger to the brakes from relaxed and racing positions. Good compromise of flex and rigidity for hill climbs. The standard pedals are better with the straps removed (if not forking out on clip ons) Every other cyclist tuns and looks at the bike because it's a beaut.

The design of the brake leavers isn't great. Not long enough to reach comfortably in racing position. (I know it has to incorporate the shifter.) The standard tyre it comes with is naff and very prone to punctures.(CST Comp from China)
I had a stark reminder of just how light the bike was trying to brake one handed at 20 mph. Lost shape and stacked it with some good air time. Torn ligaments and stabbing pain for 5 weeks.

A great fitness investment for £1500 at 0% apr over 2 years. (Was onlg going to spend £500!)Having spent the money it would've been good to have better tyres but for another £60 it's not a lot to moan about. I tried a few other carbon bikes and the best feature was the shifter system and how light it is.
It's a great alternative to the same old brands.

bruce.russell63   Commuter [Jan 25, 2012]
Strength:

Handling in general and cornering in specific are second-to-none. You might have to spend thousands more to beat the cornering on this baby. It is awesome and I am in love. The SRAM Rival package has been wonderful for me. I happen to prefer the feel to that of Shimano, but I know it's a tomato tomahto thing. Fantastic braking--blows away my 105s. Rear shifting is a dream to me. I love the crankset, coming from gossamer.It is so reliable and so accurate. I'm in love with it. I ride along the Willamette River in Portland and it is quite windy in Winter. I looked hard at aero bikes, but I must say, the Wilier seems to cut through the wind admirably. I just don't think I'm giving up a lot to the Felt AR series or the Cervelo there.

Front derailleur has been a b*&^ch to get right. I understand may others have had similar issues. I am an idiot, which may explain some of this. But all I can recommend is, don't touch it unless you are a trained front SRAM guru--you'll go crazy. I've heard Red is worse. There you go. The other thing I would consider less than optimal is how it feels cruising the flats. It just seems less effortless than the Orbea was. But again, this may all be setup. Top speeds are comparable, it just feels less effortless than on the Orbea.

Bought this to replace my stolen Orbea. Had heard good things about Wilier and this bike and decided to take a flier. I am not disappointed. The bike is very different than my Orbea Onix. For one, it handles much, much better--like a Lambo versus a Camry. It is glued to every turn. Ridiculous, and fun. It is also quick to accelerate. I will say, though, that top speed on the flats is less effortless than the Orbea was. This may just be setup or geometry particular to me.

Similar Products Used: Orbea Onix
Cervelo S2
BMC SL02
Masi Evo
Sean   Recreational Rider [Dec 02, 2011]
Strength:

Stiff and relatively light for the dough. Make sure to not skimp on components. Get good wheels.

I feel like I got a great deal on a super bike that I spec'd out as a climnbing rig. Competitive Cyclist was great to help me customize this bike. It is a full Rival build with compact front and 11-32 extended rear. Climbs like crazy. I can keep up with some top notch riders on this bike now. I upgrade the wheels to HED Ardennes - what a great choice. The bike weighs 16.7 lbs. Changed out the Fizik Arione seat. It didn't fit me right. Got Nuevation SL1 and love it. Great value for the money. There are lighter frames, but it performers superbly. Sucks up rough road very nicely. It is a beautiful bike and you don't see them on the road much. I get lots of comments and questions and give the thumbs up to Wilier.

Similar Products Used: 2009 Specialized Tarmac Comp
Kostas   Road Racer [Oct 27, 2011]
Strength:

comfortability, durability, looking, weight

Not so rigit as the high end models of Wilier. (but in double price)

Campagnolo Chorus full groupset, campagnolo zonda wheels, selle italia SLR carbon, fsa carbon handlebar.
I have the XXL size because I am 1.96 and 96k. However, even in this size, it’s a very light, strong and quite comfortably bike. I am in a team and I run all kind of races during the year. This bike is a winner in terms of durability and aesthetic and I can consider it as a bargain (in the end of season you can find a good offer of Wilier). If it was litle more rigit.... But you cant have everything in this price range.

Similar Products Used: Time, Cervelo
cycmike   Recreational Rider [Oct 25, 2011]
Strength:

Very light (haven't weighed it yet with full gear) very responsive, great climbing experience. It actually prices out a little more than the Trek Madone 5.2, but since I caught my buds pushing theirs up a hill recently, I think its a better machine- woryh the extra 1 or 2 $.

Maybe the Shimano set-up, since the chain failed me.

This is my first carbon frame bike and I am very pleased with it overall. It came equipped with a narrow handle bar (38cm?)which made the handling tricky. Shop replaced (42 cm) for prorated upcharge. Rather than the custom colored themed seat, it was equipped with a black version of the Selle Italia SL. (I later found a custom seat on ebay) Riding on flat land here in SE Texas, the main consideration would be comfort I guess. I am very comfortable on this bike, size 55 (L) (I'm 6' 190#). The set up is more aggressive than my former bike, a Fuji Roubaix aluminum but the transition was seemingly seamless. The drops on the FSA Gossamer handle bars are very comfortable. Recently in the hills, the Shimano chain failed at the connecting link-a defect from the manufacturer according to the wrench at the scene. Otherwise I have had no problems with the bike mechanically or cosmetically. the bike is very pleasing to look at and it rides very nicely, with plenty of feedback to keep things interesting but not overly tiring. After a recent tune up on the rear derailleur, the parts are turning sweetly and noiselessly. Approx 500 miles on the bike so far. I have noticed a pinging from what I believe is a spoke on the front Fulcrum Racing 5 wheel when I get up and pedal hard. It come with Vittoria Rubino Pro tires which, as far as I can tell are road debris-proof. Some of these road shoulders around here are downright treacherous with all the jetsam.

Similar Products Used: '08 Fuji Roubaix 105
DK   Recreational Rider [Oct 24, 2011]
Strength:

Value, smoothness, styling, uniqueness (i.e. very few on the road)

Downspec'd parts to cut costs (wheels, tires, FSA cranks), no tapered head tube (seem to be appearing on more bikes now).

Was ready to upgrade to a full carbon frame from an '04 CDale CAAD7 aluminum seeking a more "plush" ride. Pretty much set on a Specialized Roubaix SL3 based on Velonews' report. Test rode three bikes (see below) and once I found out the Izoard XP was $1,000 less, that made my choice pretty easy because the differences seemed pretty minor (though it's tough to say because the sizing (i.e. reach, stack, etc.) on each bike weren't exactly the same). There were slight differences in the ride (Specialized being the plushest but kinda sluggish too I thought, particularly turning since the head tube is the highest; Cervelo being the firmest and snappiest but least plush -- relatively speaking -- and most expensive). The Izoard seemed to be somewhere in between and for a grand less I could upgrade the crappy stock bar with a much nicer ergonomic carbon one in my width and still have $$ left over for more upgrades later (carbon seat post, nicer/lighter 25mm tires, wheels). Already got a few "nice bike" comments on the roads (mine is the white/silver model...looks real clean), mainly because it's such a relatively rare/exotic brand. When all else is pretty much equal, it's nice to have something different that few others have (or know about). The ride is several notches smoother than my alum. frame so I'm happy. Also, I'm very pleased with the compact crankset (had a triple before so I was concerned whether I'd have enough gears) though I swapped out the stock 12-25 cassette for an 11-28. I tested this on the local climbs and I have all the gears I need.

Still, same rules apply for all these bike purchases: a bike that FITS is the best.