Trek T900 Tandem Bike

Frame Material: aluminum
Frame Angles: Unspecified
Sizes: captain 18.5"/stoker 14.5"
Colors: Dark Blue
Rear Der: Shimano Deore
Pedals: nylon platform
Tires: 26 x 1.95" Bontrager Comfort

Andre Gist   Commuter [Jun 24, 2014]
Strength:

I was my bicycles 1 road and 1 mountain.

If, bionx electric for help good fast it.

I,m very love trek it. I want trek tandem. I like that Subaru with trek mountain 2011 used.

Similar Products Used: Yes, one trek tandem
rick   [Dec 10, 2013]
Strength:

frame ,wheels, comfort,no real maintenance, great comfortable ride

brakes. shifting sluggish,keep chain clean and well oiled

best bang for the buck in tandems

NeverGettingOld   Recreational Rider [Jun 07, 2011]
Strength:

Quality build, stiffness, comfort, most components for price

Stock saddles way too wide for anything but around the block riding and weak brakes (fixed with KoolStop pads)

My wife and I have been riding bicycles for over 30 years, first road bikes and then mainly mountain bikes the past 10 years. She has always been about 30% slower than me. No problem with trail riding, as all of the riding is over various loops and we frequently pass. However, it has been a problem with road riding. We have debated a tandem for several years and finally decided to get one this year. We wanted to stay around $1000, so the T900 and KHS Sport were the ones to consider. We decided on the T900 because of the aluminum frame, Avid brakes and twist shifters, which I like for road and rail trail riding. The bike is a new 2008 model, which we got exactly 1 month ago. I'm unhappy with the dealer, as he told us that he got it in 2010 and charged us the 2010 price. We later discovered that it was a 2008, but this review is about the bicycle. The first change was to exchange the wide saddles for proper saddles. The SR Freeway's are gel and comfortable. The next was to switch to Shimano clipless pedals. We chose Shimano for commonality with my mountain bike and our exercise bike. The stock 1.95 tires are fine for gravel roads and rail trails, but too slow for me for road riding, so I switched to narrower and higher pressure tires. Adds at least 10% speed, likely more. The brakes will stop us, but not the way I would like. I like the Avid SD7's on my mountain bike, so I decided to just switch pads on the SD3's. What a difference – much better braking. Overall, a very fine and versatile tandem for the price after making some minor changes.

Similar Products Used: First tandem. Have 2 2001 Dahon 26 inch folders plus 2001 Marin Juniper Trail and 2002 Raleigh Tara mountain bikes. Had custom Basso and Specialized Allez years ago when I was younger.
singlespeedscot   Recreational Rider [Apr 11, 2009]
Strength:

Fits a large captain and small stoker perfectly. Reasonable price. Good quality.

Rigid fork really not suited for offroad. Impossible to wheelie over obsticles like you can on a single.

Was looking for a tandem for my eight year old and I to ride on railtrails and light singletrack. Found a like new condition used bike. Had money to upgrade brakes, shifters, seats, pedals, bars and stem. Very happy so far. May try a mountain bike race, anyone race with their child?

Similar Products Used: First Tandem.
Edsel Ing   Recreational Rider [Mar 16, 2009]
Strength:

Can fit small riders.
A great first tandem. Care free shifting
If you change out handlebars, it's a lot lighter.

It's not a speed demon. Difficult to convert to 700 cc (this is not what bike was intended to do though)

A solid product that my small boys and I could ride.

We went to a few races with it too.

Light enough for captain to lift through a muddy race circuit.

Similar Products Used: Bike Friday triplet
jmf   Recreational Rider [Jan 14, 2008]
Strength:

light weight for transporting in/on the truck; great price; very smoothe operation (shifting, pedaling); stiff frame; cushioned-feeling ride

we were looking for a non-competitive-quality off-road tandem. a requirement was a low downtube in the stoker's position. this fit our requirements perfectly! for a $1000 MSRP bike, it's a great deal. TREK name brand was a plus. rear-seat pogo keeps her comfortable. front and rear handle-bar positions are fully adjustable (tilt, height, extension). rear seat has built-in LED safety-lite strip. add a rack and bags and you're ready for a comfortable, long day on the trail(s). very happy with the purchase!

jtgraphics   Recreational Rider [Apr 27, 2007]
Strength:

Strong frame and light for the price range.

This Trek T900 is our second Tandem it's low stoker stand over height is the main reason for picking this frame.
The frame light and provides a solid stable ride with no flex with good feedback.
We changed the tires to some 26x1.25 slicks and seats to a narrower Contour Saddles and peddles.
It shifts and performs great and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a great tandem in the $1000 range.
More: http://www.jtgraphics.net/trek_t900.htm

Similar Products Used: Upgraded steal frame tandem as a project.
Don Boyko   Recreational Rider [Jan 22, 2007]

I had my dealer replace the front habdlebars with a Bontrager Crowbar, and the shifters with thumb shifters. This matches my hybred bike and I just like it better. They also changed out the seats with a narrower hybred seats, and replaced the 195 X 26 tires with city trail 1.50 X 26's. Much less resistance, and rolls faster! Very sturdy frame with NO flex! (combined weight 340 LBs). The bike has been flawless! Price includes all modifications.

David Benninga   Commuter [Sep 16, 2006]
Strength:

Positive shifting, light, small radius U turn, comfortable, cheap

Paint scratchs easily,

I've been the captain biking with blind stokers. The tandems used are from various manufacturers. We chose the Trek T900 because it was the only standard model which had a small stoker size. We've taken it abroad twice on trips and used it also on off road trips. Everytime I bless Trek. The bike handles great and the gripshifts insure positive shifting with zero problems. On all of the other tandems I've ridden, shifting was usually "the" problem. The bike is also set up for real touring. It's great