Devinci Caribou Touring Bike

Frame Material: aluminum
Frame Angles: Unspecified
Sizes: large, medium, small, xsmall
Colors: Unspecified
Rear Der: Shimano Deore XT GS
Pedals: Shimano PD-M520 SPD
Tires: 700 x 28c Michelin Transworld

Pepere   Commuter [May 01, 2012]
Strength:

Good price, good performance with light to medium load

Doesn't carry heavy load well.

Mine is an older model, so it may have improved since. At first, I used it as a commuter bike and it handled very well. When I tried to use it touring with a good load front and back, I was disapointed to feel a lot of speed wobble that made it even scary above 30 km/h.

Similar Products Used: Cannondale T2000
charoenrut tepnuruk   [Feb 19, 2012]
Strength:

????????????????????

?????????????????????

??? devinci caribou touring 2004 ?????????? ??? ??

gottago   Road Racer [Apr 01, 2010]
Strength:

Solid frame and comfortable geometry.

Over sized gearing. I had to replace the middle and small chainrings because they were way too big for hauling heavy loads even up medium grades let alone the Rockies.

Completed my first cross-Canada tour with it. Once I had it set up right, it performed amazingly well. The only problem I had was the rear rim developed stress cracks at a few spoke holes. With the suspension seat post the ride was incredibly smooth. The frame held up perfectly under a large load (80 lbs or so).
I have also ridden a 300km Randonneur with it with no problem being in the saddle for 12 hours.

Similar Products Used: I also owned a 2001 Devinci Silverstone racing bike.
lingram   Recreational Rider [Nov 02, 2009]
Strength:

Shifting is close to perfect. Rear D smooth. Lightweight and sturdy. Love the ride. Great looking. Seems very well made.

Front D has taken some time to get working properly

2008 Caribou 2: This is my dream bike. Can't get enough of it. Purchased on sale and specs/components match the 09 model exactly except for seat and handle bar tape. Added carrier, fenders, clip on /combo pedals.

Similar Products Used: My first tourer. Other road bikes and mountain bikes; Peugeot, Tech
danielgaston   Commuter [Jul 01, 2009]

Great bike for commuting. Also good for short trips (less than 100 km).
SHimano XT deraillleur is very smooth. I"m surprised at the speed I can reach with this type of bike just a few km/hr less than my road bike (Argon 18)
I put regular pedals instead of clip-ons -- mistake.

Frank   Commuter [Jul 05, 2007]
Strength:

Comfortable, solid bike. Excellent for commuting and light touring. Nice to buy Canadian.

Not really for long-distance touring.

A very comfortable bike, with a good solid feel on the road. I use it for commuting to work and for general pleasure riding. It's not the fastest bike on the road, but it's not a dog, either. The components are good for the price.

It's listed as a touring bike, but I would hesitate before loading it down with lots of gear and heading out. It doesn't seem solid enough for full-blown touring. The only difference between it and the line of hybrids that Devinci sells is V brakes, a chrome-moly fork, and drop handle bars.

Similar Products Used: Araya MF700CXTE A Japanese bike with a steel frame that I rode until everything wore out.
Welsh   Recreational Rider [Oct 02, 2004]
Strength:

Built in Canada! Solid performer. Light. Beautiful. Good gear range (34T rear).

Fat bar hinders mounting close to the stem. Tires are too aggressive for well paved roads. No rear rack.

I really like the compact geometry of this machine. It is comfortable, but stiff, putting your power to the road. Not flexy or mushy in feel. It just plain feels solid and responsive on the road. I plan on using it for credit card touring, not camping (at his point). It is lighter than most touring bikes and very well spec'd. The Michelin tires are good for bad roads, but too slow for paved ones. I replaced them with Continental 1000's. Much faster. The seat - Selle XO Trans Am leather was a nice suprise - being very comfortable, and I have several amazing saddles to compare it to - Brooks B17, Saddleco Flow, and my Fizik Aliante!I love the colour (orange/charcoal grey) and graphics. The bike is modern and stylish. I personally wanted STI shifting even though die hard touring fanatics prefer bar ends. It may hinder the use of a bar bag, but I'll use front panniers instead if need be. I purchased this machine at a bargain price and it will serve well as my tourer/long distance mount. I have a light race bike for faster rides. Buy it - it's Canadian!!

Similar Products Used: My 1st Tourer - so none.