Jamis Aurora Touring Bike

Road bikes are too light duty. Mountain and city bikes are too heavy duty. Welcome to the Just Right world of Aurora Elite, Aurora and Bosanova, the road bikes for smart urban speedsters and cyclo-tourists. Legendary Reynolds steel is our chassis material of choice, for its unbeatably robust performance and the resilient ride-damping you’ll appreciate while loaded up and bombing around on the streets and rural backroads. This is magic stuff, especially for full pannier touring and rough-road adventures. This year’s rides are simply better and lighter— Aurora makes use of a long-cage road derailleur for supersmooth shifting and the uphill hauling capability of a super-low 26x28 gear commanded by travel-friendly bar-end shifters and sports new full-coverage/fully adjustable fenders.

Rod Hewlett   [Dec 16, 2012]
Strength:

Great all round bike - not a speed demon, but steady and comfortable.

Seat needs to be replaced. I added a Brooks B17 - after a few hundred miles it was pure bliss

Outstanding bike. I can do 100 miles on it with just one break and still feel good at the end of the ride. I have nearly 3,000 miles on the bike and my rule of thumb is I ride my Jamis Quest on 100 miles or less and ride my Jamis Aurora on 100+ or multiday rides. My Aurora also does double duty as a summer commute bike - I substitute to a single speed during the winter. No mechanical issues - very reliable.

Great bike!!!

Nigel Baldwin   [Dec 07, 2012]
Strength:

Very stable handling, even with camping load, tough, very few weaknesses

Original 700/28 tyres not up to job, especially on back, now replaced with32s although a 35 will squeeze in.

Bought the bike in Vancouver for cross Canada frip in 2007. Averaged 95 miles a day en route to Halifax. Only problems 4 spoke breakages on rear wheel and Canadian roads slicing tyres. (they seem to have run out of tarmac on some highways). Incredibly comfortable bike- no soreness anywhere (with completely standard components including saddle) on the 3838 mile ride. No spoke breakages in the 5 years since I got back to UK- very carefully adjusted spoke tension. The rear gear cluster and chain needed replacing shortly after getting back to UK.

Jordan   Commuter [Jun 16, 2012]
Strength:

Smooth ride.
Love the bar-end shifters.

Being a novice I'm still a little naive to state any type of weaknesses.

I bought a cheap Schwinn a couple months back to see if I liked "bike commuting". After a month I was ready for a upgrade. I picked up the 2012 Aurora from my LBS and I love it. I don't have anything to really compare it to, but so far all I can say is this is a "real bike". It rides smooth, shifts easy and has a very comfortable saddle. The pedals are a pain, but I'll put up with them for a bit until I decide to upgrade. Based on my limited experience I would highly recommend this bike.

Bob   Recreational Rider [Feb 26, 2012]
Strength:

Value for the money-espcially with Reynolds 631 steel on main tubes
Nice metallic bronze paint job
Sram Apex group
Included rack with matching paint
Avid Disc brakes
Comfort ride

Welds could be smoother
Useless fenders

I bought a 2011 Jamis Aurora Elite on close-out and thought this was a great bargin for getting a Reynolds 631 steel frame with the new Sram Apex group and matching rear rack. This is my second steel Jamis bike - the first being the Coda Elite, but the flat bar and shifting was not to my liking on longer rides. This bike rides much smoother due to the frame and wider tires and I enjoy the Sram doubletap shifting. I changed to the Gore Pro cables and this has also helped make the shifting more responsive and waterproof. Nice looking bike with the metallic paint job, especially on a sunny day. Hate the new Jamis decals though - seems out of proportion. Like the geometry and tube design - though the welds could be smoother. This is the only year for the Sram group since they are changing back to Shimanos for 2012.

Similar Products Used: 2007 Cannondale Synapse Sport, 2009 Jamis Coda Elite
John   Recreational Rider [Apr 29, 2011]
Strength:

Rides very well when loaded.
No mechanical problems in 4 years (light use).
Deals well with potholes, rough pavement.

Terrible stock pedals--scalloped metal edges very painful to use. Replaced immediately.

Lucky find: unused 2001 model picked up in 2007. Very good on all day rides. My first quality bike, and a comfortable fit for me--even the saddle, to my surprise. A good entry-level long haul rider. Good around town, too.

Similar Products Used: Schwinn World Traveler, Schwinn Continental.
bstuartmke   Commuter [Jun 04, 2010]
Strength:

First-class touring bike at an economy class price. Vittoria Randonneur tires hold up very well and adapt to a wide range of conditions. Rock-solid handling, even with camping load. Very comfortable ride. In line levers on bar top make city riding safer.

A bit porky.

Pleased with comfortable ride and steady road manners. This bike is extremely versatile, whether in city riding in Milwaukee or a camping ride to Illinois Beach State Park. Stock saddle gets high marks fro comfort, although I had the bar tapes replaced with Aztec Vibe-Wrap.

Similar Products Used: Falcon Mod. 92, Dawes Super Galaxy
jesse   Commuter [May 30, 2010]
Strength:

comfortable, handles well

Spokes,Rims,Brake Pads,Chain,frame,fork, bothersome seat post

Here are the problems I've had:

wheelset: a spoke pops after every 150 miles or every 8 hours of commuting with me + 10 lbs. 3 so far

Metal splinters in break pads: Either the pads are too hard or bad wheels?

Chain was too wide: caused shifting problems.

Frame & fork flaws: missing mid-fork rack mount on 5 of 10 '09 Auroras I've seen
missing reliefs on chainstays, for tire clearance, on 8 of 10 '09 auroras. The elite had this issue too, but less often.

It is a good bike for commuting once you replace the rims,spokes,brake pads,chain, and make sure you get one of the rare correctly manfactured frame and forks.

At the store at about half the Auroras were missing the mid-fork rack mount, and all were missing reliefs for tire clearance in the lower part of the frame near the crank. I didn't notice the clearance issue until after purchase. Biggest tire that will fit is 32s; probably would take a 37 if you can get a correctly made frame.

It's a 62cm 2009 Aurora, and I bought it about 7 months ago, and have about 400 miles on it. It would have a lot more miles but it has been in the shop a lot. I am 6'5" and weigh about 240. I usually commute with 5-10 lbs of stuff. My bike commute is 25 miles round trip on roads with occasional potholes that I try to avoid. Lots of stop and go on the first half.

I changed the tires 25s for faster commuting a few days after I got it, but have popped a spoke in rear wheel 3 times so far. I asked the shop if anything could be done to reduce how often this is happening. They said that they are just cheap spokes. I also wanted to use it for fully loaded touring with larger tires, but this seems like a real bad idea with the spoke problems when only carrying 10 lbs. I know I am heavy but my other bike did the same commute for 2000 miles over a year or so, and didn't pop one spoke on similar tires and wheels. It has 27x 1 1/8" (~28) tire but both bikes where at 105 psi. Both had 36 spoke wheels.

For the first couple hundred miles I kept finding metal slivers in the brake pads, and took it in a few times then it stopped. I don't know if they fixed it or it went away. I also just try to brake more slowly; like the bikes from 30 or 40 yrs ago. This does not inspire confidence, when I think about going down a long grade fully loaded on a tour.

It came with a chain that was too wide. I was wider than 9 spds I've seen and narrower than an 8. After a couple hours of riding it would start jumping to the adjacent gear, back and forth. I adjusted it and cleaned it repeatedly, but after an hour or so the problem would return. The issue completely went away after the shop replace the chain.

Anyway it has been frustrating, and I regret purchasing this bike. I have been doing this type of riding for the last 4 or 5 years, and it adds up to about 4-5k miles. The bikes I have are around 1/3 of cost of the Aurora, but have performed better and been much more reliable: '00 Specialized hardrock sport v-brake frt sus 24spd,'97 Gary Fisher entry level Mtn bike v-brake 24spd, 30 yr old 12spd Gitane Olympic record II bought on craigslist in 2007 for cheap. Each has between 1-2k miles w/ high pressure city tires, and none have had these issues.

In hindsight I should have bought one of the other bikes I was looking at: tricross, trek 520, or the long hall trucker etc. Do yourself a favor and by a decent bike. Don't buy a Jamis.

Similar Products Used: '77 gitane olympic record II
ld_cyclist   Commuter [May 04, 2010]
Strength:

Tough, elegant and old-style look. Steel ride is soft. Built for real use.

Some parts are not of highest quality.

I love this bicycle. It is an affordable commuter, steel, with eyelets. The brakes are a little chattery, and some of the manufacturer's choices are on the cheaper side -- but I found it not a problem to switch in new and better parts when the old ones failed (and you'd be surprised what doesn't fail.) The seat is not great, but seats are a personal matter anyway.

Crank has a nice, wide range; great for mountains.

craig coursen   Recreational Rider [Mar 14, 2010]
Strength:

pull hills great,high gears are great

tires,seat,rims

I rode this bike cross country,from N.J
to washington state.The seat cause alot numbing.It was change in michigan.The orgional tire,s change Havre M.T.I was lucky to make it here Put batch on outside.The back rim broke after going through glacier natioanl park.No bike shop
would fix it untill got to sandpoint ID kiss the guy who made JB weld.When over all passes on 20 in washington to anacortes.I also rode Cincinati to Clovis N.M.I was riding over hundred miles a day.
I had no problem on the southern route.IF you don't have alot money this bike is a good choice

David   Commuter [Mar 07, 2010]
Strength:

Good quality steel frame

Seat post, seat and crank

So far I love it. When I picked it up from the dealer, I had to do the build completely over. The shifter cables were routed wrong and the brake cabels were simply installed wrong. I purchased Surly Nice racks for the rear and Front and made the mistake of letting the same dealer install them, so I had to re-install them as well. I ride about 25 miles a day and have riden in all types of weather with this bike and it seems great. Later I will replace the very heavy FSA cranks with a Shimano 105. But other than that I love it.