Raleigh USA Rush Hour Track Bike

The Raleigh Rush Hour offers the discriminating cyclist a quality, classic steel track-style bike at an affordable price. Equally at home on street or track, the Rush Hour is the perfect tool for urban adventure or for perfecting your spin. A fixed/free rear hub and user installed brakes allow riders to choose freewheeling fun or fixed gear fidelity.

• Custom Butted Chromoly Track frame w/CNC dropouts - strong and light for class racing or street riding
  • Hi flange sealed bearing track hubs - "Flip Flop" rear fixed/freewheel design
  • Truvativ Touro Track crank w/48t Alloy ring - CNC-machined for stiffness

• User Reviews (14)

Edwin Diaz   Road Racer [Jul 01, 2016]
    Strength:

Strong, sturdy, steel frame. Upgrade able. Cheap (as in price). Construction seems nice, good welds, decent geometry. Looks like it was hand built but I'm almost certain it's wasn't. Feels nice riding through the city. Perfect for urban environments, hence the name "Rush Hour".

Heavy, even with light parts added, and stiff. Seat post's are hard to find for it, better off keeping it stock. It comes with brakes which I don't mind but I like riding fixed gear and would rather not have brakes installed. Flip-flop rear wheel, again, I don't need the extra cog, I ride fixed and it only adds weight to the bike. Stickers are horrible lol but at least you can take them off easily.

Overall the bike is a good bike. I had a 2009 model for about 7 years until it was stolen back in 2015. The bike felt great, it got me from point A to point B no problem, but it had an Achilles heel that being it's weight. I admit I didn't really take care of it, I dropped it a couple of times, sometimes on purpose, and even though I abused it, slightly, it stayed firm and didn't bend thanks to it's steel frame. I had about $200 dollars in upgrades on it and I bought the bike used for $100 off of craigslist. Overall it was an inexpensive bike. It was a trooper, I gotta say I miss it more than I should, especially since it was stolen 3 times in the past and I got it back every time. But on the 4th time it was stolen I couldn't track the person down in time and I lost it forever, along with a GoPro. Anyway I loved that bike, mainly because around 2012 it became my daily commuter, choosing it over all the other bikes I had, and was always there for me, even after it was stolen 3 times, it seemed like it was meant to be my baby, but some a**hole had to take that away from me, oh well I hope he get's his. 4/5 stars because of it's weight but overall it's a good bike.

Lonerider   [Jan 10, 2016]
    Strength:

cheep, sturdy frame, came in black, thick track ends, generally upgrade worthy, rides nice, fits at least 28mm tires

heavy frame, straight fork looks bad@ss but rides harsh, interior seat tube diameter makes upgrading seatpost not worth it

Got this as a frameset about a year ago, or so, when a guy working at the lbs didn't want it any more; the shop owner had brazed him a sweet lugged frame so he didn't need a mass produced bike any more! Since I got it cheeep the thing got a good value rating, but the overall rating is 4 not 5 because lets face it Raleigh skimped on the stock parts and the seat tube. Who the hell except wallymart uses seat post sizes smaller than 27.2 anymore?

That said, since I got it as a frameset i wasn't much limited by stock parts except seatpost. I built it up with generic wheels, nothing fancy but the back runs an old mavic open pro. Sugino cranks. Gearing was 42/17 but i switched to 42/18 (i live in a sorta hilly area and am not light anymore, i miss the days of running 44/16!) Had drops but went to bullhorns like my old Pista. Speaking of the pista, it is from at least '06 and weighs only about 17 lbs with what i got on it, so in comparison the raleigh is heavy, but in the saddle the rush hour doesn't feel weighty, just solid, like it has presence. It rides nice, handles well and looks cool. This is never going to be a lightweight bike, but it will always be a fun bike to ride and if someone is looking for either an entry level fixed gear, or a backup bike, or just wants a durable ride with a simple drive train for getting around town, you can't go wrong,

Not sure about current models, but mine had a nice smooth top tube, no fugly cable guides, the way a track frame should be -- though it was drilled for a back brake. Guys like me only running a front brake could use that rear mount for a fender, an auxiliary rear light, or anything else. Also worth noting: The sizing is wrong. Mine was said to be 55cm but it was about 54 ctc, which is why it fits me.
    All in all, good quality inexpensive bike, just upgrade the stock parts as you go. Except the seatpost.

jliptak   Road Racer [Aug 02, 2009]
    Strength:

Steel, single speed with a flip-flop hub (fixie or free wheel), simple and elegant, inexpensive.

Weak accessories, but this is easily overcome.

This is one fun ride. There are some cheap components which are easily swapped out. I now have bull bars, Shimano pedals, Selle Italia SLR gel flow saddle, FSA seat post, and no back brake. I use this bike for commuting mainly, but also training when I want to do something different and as my get around town bike.

Similar Products Used: None
    michael battle   Road Racer [Jan 01, 2009]
    Strength:

Strong bike, tires have lasted a year. I commute as well as push with the "big boys" in the club and the bike has held up well.

Plastic pedals.

I have a completely stock Rush Hour except for pedals from a 1972 Paris Sport, and love it. I have completed several metric centuries with the local bike club and am able to keep up with most of the fastest riders, depending on wind and hills on the course. It is a great workout. The bike has treated me very well, and I would definitely recommend it to a beginning fixie rider.

Similar Products Used: No other fixies, but have a 1972 Paris Sport (minus pedals), 1992 Giant road bike, and a 1994 Nashbar rode bike.
    prasad   Commuter [Jul 08, 2008]
    Strength:

You have the choice of using fixed wheel or free wheel.
    Can go at very high speed. Got good sets of tires

None that I can think of

I was looking for a bike with steel frame. Their not many manufacturers who make those. This bike absorbs lot of shocks compared to Aluminum & Carbon frame. I was visiting lot of shops going through the reviews. Finally I got this at one of the shop. I love this bike.

Philipae   Commuter [Jun 01, 2008]
    Strength:

weight in relation to low price, great entry-level bike for city-riding and commuting, low-key paint, bump-smoothing steel ride quality

quality and weight of low-level components, especially brakes (this is unavoidable considering the low price point in my opinion)

Bought the bike primarily as a commuter, as used as a city bike and casual group/solo ride bike. So far it has definitely fit my needs as a short-range commuter alone flat roads. I do plan on changing the gearing soon from a 48 chain to 46 most likely. Would be a great entry bike to anyone who wants a fun simple low-maintenance fairly-lightweight bike and lives in a fairly flat region (changning gearing would be a simple fix as well).

Similar Products Used: just my 2000 Raleigh M80 mountain bike
    Ken Karg   Recreational Rider [Mar 13, 2008]
    Strength:

simple, organic, clean, easy to maintain, fast

original components are a little weak.

I ride the bike as a single speed, not a fixie. It's a great introduction to ss/fixed gear riding. I added alot of upgraded parts and I simply love riding this bike. It replaced the competition of rideng, and brought back the fun.

Similar Products Used: Giant ocr1
    Jeff   Recreational Rider [Jul 29, 2007]
    Strength:

Low Cost
    Light Weight
    Stealthy Color
    Practical Specs

Gear Ratio good for Chicago, but too tall for hilly terrain. Pedals are cheap.

I got this bike to experiment with riding a fixie in Chicago. Some purists would say that the brakes (especially the rear) are unnecessary, but the front brake keeps stress off my knees, and the rear brake is nice to have when my left arm is needed for signaling. This is by far the lightest bike I've ever owned; it's no problem at all to throw it over my shoulder and carry it up four flights of stairs to my apartment. The drop handlebars are perhaps not the best for fixie use, but are probably good when using the freewheel (which I'll probably do at some point). So far, my impression is that this is a practical, inexpensive, but decently specified fixie for use on flat terrain.

Similar Products Used: This is my first fixie, but I have other bikes; a Dutch 3-speed, two road bikes, and a hybrid. I've been riding in cities, touring, and commuting by bike for 30 years.
    Andrew   Recreational Rider [Feb 02, 2007]
    Strength:

Inexpensive. Solid feeling steel frame. Usable components. Decals on top of clear coat. Looks sharp. A little more relaxed geometry which makes it a little more forgiving on the road.

Fork is huge and probably a little heavier than necessary. The frame is probably slightly heavier than a lot of fixed/track steel frames out there but it's not a huge deal. Front brake became defective (bad spring).

Wanted to get into fixed riding and rely less on the car. Wanted to start riding immediately and didn't want to take the time to build a bike so I started doing some research on current off the shelf fixies in my price range - $400 to $600. Test road the Rush Hour at the local shop and was going to lay down the $550 plus tax when a friend mentioned he knew a Rush Hour owner that was selling his for $400. Couldn't pass up a complete bike for that price and he had already upgraded the saddle (WTB Lazer) and pedals (Miche with clips and straps). I've been riding this thing quite a bit and I'm very happy with it. Considering how little I paid for it, I'm not too concerned about it getting beat up a bit. I ride for fun and to commute. It's solid and stiff. Has a little more relaxed geometry than a true track bike which makes it a little less twitchy for riding the streets. Not great but decent components to start off with. I have since replaced the crank and bottom bracket (Sugino 75), chain (Izumi), bars (Syntace Stratos 0 bullhorn), removed the rear brake and put on a Dia Compe TT lever and new Tektro brake on the front as the stock one went bad. I have parts left over to build a bike for my girl. I will eventually get a new frame (Bareknuckle) and swap out my parts from the Raleigh and rebuild it as a beater/street bike.

Similar Products Used: First fixed. Haven't ridden since I was quite a bit younger.
    Bwayfresh   Commuter [Jan 06, 2007]
    Strength:

Looks bad ass, rides super smoth. Awsome bike.

I cant think of anything.

I love it. I was watching this video called Bike Gangs Of New York. There was this gang called the land lords (they own everything, the streets, the grass, the buildings, you name it). Anyway thay all rode track bikes and i was like "i want one". So after looking around and contemplating building one i decided to check out Ebay. They had my Raleigh for $450. Some guy rode it once and hated it. After checking the retail price on it i said holy moly what a deal. I really love my bike. I made my own bullhorns out of the factory drops. Took off the rear brake. Repalced the front brake lever with a cyclecross lever and and got some cold weather michelins for the winter. Super nice.

Similar Products Used: zip zilch nada.