Specialized Langster Track Bike

Pedals: Not included
Tires: 700 x 23c Specialized Mondo Sport

[May 23, 2012]
cole

Strength:

Amazing bike takes me as fast as i can imagine.

Nope

Bought mine today and i just feel awesome riding it. Ive showed my friend a picture and he too has fallen in love. I go fast, and it goes faster. I cannot keep the bike at a normal speed, I ramp it up and look like the coolest guy out there!

its all new to me!

[Mar 08, 2012]
Larry

Strength:

Very well build and very fast. I've biffed it a few times with no repairs other then my skin. The geometry is perfect for me. Awesome bike for the money. A blast to ride.

Really none, however if I could change anything I would like if it could accommodate a larger tire so that I could ride it with studs in the snow:)

I've been riding a 2009 base model Langster for the last 3 years. First of all the bike is very compact and because of this at 5'9" I opted for a size 54. It should be too large but with the upgraded bull horn handle bars and Brooks B17 saddle it hits me perfect when up on the peddles. I ride fixed with a 14 tooth cog. I figure I alway have the 16 tooth ss cog to limp home on. Im on my second set of tires and have put on 7 century rides. This thing absolutely flies. I have a full carbon Allegra ride and I hate to say it is collecting dust. I just can't get off the fixed gear. I enjoy this ride so well I just picked up a 2009 Tokyo carry over to duplicate the setup and keep the fun going.

Gary Fisher Rig 29er, Fetish Cycles 26" SS

[Dec 01, 2010]
paddy

Strength:

All I can say is it is 30 degrees in Northern Ky. and snowing but I can not stay off of it!

Wow!

[May 18, 2010]
Jeff

Strength:

Carbon front forks are nice. Very light (see below). Simple and well built. I like never having to take time out to adjust something. The Las Vegas edition gets a lot of looks and good conversation starter. Like a rocket... faster you go, the faster it wants to go.

Very light... my biggest problem. When you are on anything other than perfectly flat pavement, you feel everything.

All around great article of equipment. Good construction, nothing is absolute garbage from the factory. Solid and not as fragile as I initially worried. Great for building muscle. Best part is I've never had to adjust or fiddle with anything on the bike. Ride, put up, ride, repeat. No maintenance, just a solid performer. Only bike I've ever owned that I didn't immediately start changing things out.

Redline SS, Surly SS

[Oct 29, 2009]
AlphaFire X5

Strength:

Value - Some very nice components at a great price, especially if you can find a leftover from the previous year. Much better than the older Langsters.

Frame - It's light and stiff, if a bit relaxed compared to "track" geometry. It works though. Out of the saddle sprints, even with higher gearing, do not produce any noticeable flex.

Wheels - Tough as nails.

Brakes - The standard Tektro calipers are mediocre, at best. They work well enough, but an upgrade to higher end Shimano stuff will eventually be made.

Wheels - Heavy! 5+ lbs for the set.

Gearing - I found the stock 42x16 gearing to be far too short, but a replacement 46t Messenger chainring was fairly cheap and I'm now much happier.

Year: 2009
Brand: Specialized
Model: Langster
Color: Polished Silver

Frame and parts: Light and stiff aluminum frame, quite comfortable to ride. Uses the same basic geometry as the Allez, but uses horizontal dropouts and has no braze ons. Makes a fine commuter, but works well on long rides too. From the factory, this bike comes surprisingly well equipped. Carbon fork, Specialized Alias saddle, Sugino RD cranks with a Zen Messenger chainring, even a carbon wrapped seat post. Notably better equipped than some of the older models. Fresh from the factory, a 56cm weighed in at ~19.5 lbs. Much of this can be attributed to the wheels, Alex Race32s, which, without tires, tubes, or skewers, weigh in at over 5 lbs. The frame is equipped with mounting points for a rear rack or fender, and two bottle cages. The front fork is not equipped for a bolt on fender, unless specially equipped (Seattle version).

Overall Impression: This bike is FUN. It's solidly built, simple to ride and maintain, and makes short work of almost anything you can throw at it. Has worked for commuting, longer rides, and will supposedly do quite nicely at the track, even with the more road-oriented geometry. The drop bars that come with the bike are standard ergonomic road bars, but track bars can be had on some of the city models. I swapped mine for Profile Design T2 Wing base bars and levers, and am quite pleased with the change. I've had zero problems with flats with the stock Specialized Mondo tires, but I keep them at 120psi, as their recommended pressure range is 115-125psi. All in all, a great bike to just get on and ride and have fun!

[Feb 25, 2009]
Brett

Strength:

speed, I've hit up to 30 mph, very smooth and responsive, light.

wheels, brakes, can't to bar spins,.

I've tested many track bikes in my day, before and after i purchased my 08 Boston Langster. Overall the ride is very smooth and responsive, much more than most I've tried. I must admit I've never tested a track bike more than 1500 dollars but the langster series is the best for your money. I've had it coming up on a year and so far nothing has gone wrong with it. I've crashed quite a few times and it still runs smooth, (I had to break it in).

[Feb 18, 2009]
lunky

Strength:

Good road response/ feel. Stiff, fairly light weight

Lower quality wheels, brake system, tires

I love the bike and responds well and does not beat my body up. However, I have replaced the wheels, tires and am having the brake system replaced also. If you want a basic bike then no need to up grade. If you like Ultegra or higher equipment you will likely end up spending less money to do a custom build. However, I love the bike and so no complaints as I got what I paid for.

Serotta Fierte steel bike, Ultegra

[Jan 24, 2009]
ironmandreamer

Strength:

The ride from the monocoque carbon frame is fantastic. It's light and climbs well, handles great and tracks beautifully (passing the no hands test). It rides to quote Phil Anderson "as good as bikes costing $7000 - $8000". Phil gets paid to say nice things, I do not; but I believe Phil is spot on in his comments. The frame is good enough to warrent upgrading parts including wheels should you want later if funds at the time of purchase is an issue.

Bang-for-your-buck, there are no weaknesses. The groups are full 105, full Ultegra, full Durace, no skimping to save a few dollars. The finishing kits, full FSA, and not bottom of the range budget issue, carbon seat posts, not carbon wrap. Mavic wheels are price matched to each bike. OK, one minor fault, the seat tube biddon bolts could be an inch or two lower to make it easier to get a large 750ml biddon in and out.

The 2008 reincarnation of Malvern Star from a supermarket brand to a quality product only available at the LBS has been welcomed by 99% of cyclists in Australia. I've read a few rumblings about the frame being a copy of a Colnago or a Specialized and complaining that this once great Aussie Icon Brand in now being manufactured in Taiwain but these rumblings are unjustified and easily quashed.

The Legend Series of three bikes from AUD $2000 - $4000 represents the best bang-for-your-buck bikes in the world.

The three bikes all use the same from with the top of the range model sporting a carbon fork steerer tube.

The bikes have been reviewed more than favourably in the local cycling press.

I rode for years then had an equally long absence from the sport. I rode cheap Tange frames then upgraded to Reynolds 531 that was the standard in it's day. In 1990 I rode a screwed and glued aluminium Alan that was the most comfortable bike I've ever had. I currently ride a Merckx Gara but the roads in the Cyclo Sportiff's are rough and dead so I wanted a full carbon frame after upgrading my aluminium TT bike to a carbon model some 8 months ago and being amazed at the difference.

[Jan 24, 2009]
bartholdy

Strength:

Handles well, fun to ride, Stiff and light for a bike at that price. The saddle is surprisingly good. Cranks and BB seems fine

Pedals are bad, calipers needs frequent centering. They are really bad at staying centered. Hubs and rims.

The price paid is actually DKK 4000.
I bought it on sale (40% discount). I would not pay the full price. The bike is great to ride and it is an easy way to get to ride fixed. (I have removed the freewheel entirely.) Before I took it for the first real ride, I had to adjust the hubs' ball bearings. They were too tight from the factory, Why didn't they deliver
this bike with decent sealed bearings?.
The calipers do a fine jo stopping the bike.. and a not so fine job staying centered - I have to recenter them once a week - guess I'll have to buy some decent calipers soon. The rims match the hubs: they are on the cheap side: no reinforcements around the spoke holes.

Misc. reynolds and columbs tubed steel road bikes, Isaac Pascal Carbon w campa centaur 2006

[Dec 27, 2008]
fab4

Strength:

Very responsive.

Hubset sucks. Cheap ball bearing type. Should have been sealed cartridge bearings for the price.

This review is for a 2008 regular Langster (green). This is my second Langster. Like the bike except for the hubset. Specialized has not changed the hubsets since 2004. Specialized should upgrade the hubs to sealed cartridge bearings instead of the cheap ball bearings considering the big price increase from 2004 to 2008. I should have shopped around. There are better bikes with better hubset for the same price range.

Bianchi Pista, Trek Track