BP Stealth Stealth OCRR Triathlon Bike

The Stealth OCRR is lightning fast. The most recent frame upgrades make the frame stronger, lighter, and if possible…faster. All carbon drop outs, all carbon head tube and set tube inserts, gloss black finish with nude woven carbon down tube. Frame price now includes carbon aero fork and professional grade headset.

MSRP: $1500 Frame/Fork/Headset Only

[Jun 15, 2015]
Jens

Strength:

BP Stealth Stealth OCRR Triathlon Bike

BP Stealth Stealth OCRR Triathlon Bike

Anyone which can tell me complet story of that bike?

Best Regards Jens have just bought such a frame, but can not find history about it

[Oct 15, 2008]
skaryfast

Strength:

Stiff. Great dampening - comfortable. Relatively inexpensive. Fast - it was the winner's bike for Ironman Canada 2003. Beautiful carbon layup.

Heavy by modern standards. Vertical dropouts in the back are a minor hassle. Geometry isn't the best for triathlon.

My rockin' dad gave me the frame and fork for Christmas when I qualified for Ironman 2004. I used it for several races from sprint to Olympic to IM distance, and have been generally very pleased with its performance. I've moved on to a different race bike, but will always keep the Stealth out of nostalgia, and take it out for training rides on really pretty days! The design of the frame is very appealing to the eye, and was originally built by Mongoose as a TT frame. They stopped production and sold the design to some nice folks out in Arizona. The frame is one of the stiffest I've ridden whether road, mountain, or tri. It's also on the heavy side, so for races with lots of long climbs, not the best. The geometry is more of a classic road-bike with a slack seat-tube angle and requires a forward seatpost for riding in the aerobars over long distances in my view. By 2008 standards it is not the most aerodymic frame, but not the worst either. Bottom line - it's fast, smooth riding, cool looking, and a great value.

Cervelo P3C, Cannondale Slice

[Feb 16, 2008]
KithKhan

Strength:

Aero.
Stiff.
Good dampening.
Average handling (better than my last tri-bike, not as good as some of my dedicated road racer/crit/track bikes)
Looks amazing!
Good price-tag for a full carbon exotic bike.

Heavy, if you care.
Integrated housings make cable routing easy, but if they get gritty or worn out you're screwed.

I bought this bike to replace a Cervelo P2K, which I loved but which was simply too unforgiving on Michigan roads, which are notorious for potholes and bad pavement.
Out of the box, everything was great except that some excess paint had made the rear-brake-mount hole too small, and had to be carefully filed off. Cable routing was initially great.
The bike is extremely stiff... nothing at all like other beam-bike designs like a Softride, which is what a lot of people expect. That said, the vibration dampening properties of it far surpass the P2K, and my rides were much more comfortable after having switched. Aerodynamically, I didn't notice a huge difference between the two. Given that a Cervelo P2K is already pretty awesome in that department, I am fine with that. ;)
The bike is indeed very heavy, and I also don't mind this. I threw a chain which took a big gouge out of the carbon a few months ago, and based on how completely overbuilt it is I'm not even worried about it. We're talking carbon that looks like it's at least half a centimeter thick here.
I had one really bad experience riding it home in some rain. The front wheel kicked water up onto the down tube, which ran right into the integrated housings. I had to cut the cables and feed them through over and over again with lube to get out all the grit and get them working smoothly again. I worry about what will happen when those internal housings finally need to be replaced? Eesh. FAIR WEATHER ONLY!

Cervelo p2k
Louis Garneau Pursuit 9.0
Scattante Steel road
Kestrel Talon
Giant OCR 3

[Oct 17, 2007]
BrianLizard

Strength:

The bike is super aero and abosorbs nearly every vibration and I have a padless carbon seat! It still climbs very well and the price is unbeatable. The stock wheels are Fulcrum Raceing 7 and they are strong and light for an entry level price point.

DiaComp brakes were pretty bad, and I switched them to ultegra. It would be nice to have an integrated headset to drop the front end even more and opt for the forward post, the geometry needs a steeper seat angle.

If you have read any of the other reviews you already know this bike is fantastic. The new OCLV carbon lightened the bike up from earlier versions and you only sacrafice a pound or so compared to a conventional bike. The aero is well worth it.

Softride roadwing, Zipp 2001.

[Sep 03, 2007]
pfinn

Strength:

Still combines unmatched long-distance comfort with a rock solid ride. Fork is excellent.

Noticeably heavier than newer bikes - but no doubt the OCRR version is lighter too. Paintwork is prone to chip around the rear drop outs - mine's bright yellow - but with a bit of care it's lasted very well.

This is a review of the BP-2 frame purchased in the UK where it was sold under the "Reef Carbon" brand name. See my original November 2003 review under "2003 Triathlon Bike."
Five years on and I still ride this bike every week. The difficulty getting the back wheel in and out turned out to be nothing more than a bent derailleur hanger; my LBS fixed it in five minutes. Even with a forward angled seat post it wasn't quite right for triathlons, so it's now fitted with conventional drop bars and better suited to use as a regular road bike. Would still recommend a post that steepens the effective seat tube angle as the geometry is slack.
It will be a sad day when this one covers its last mile, but when it does - and that's a long way off - I'll be straight back to BP Stealth to replace it with the latest version.

Cervelo P3C, Trek 5200, Cannondale R2000.

[Jul 20, 2006]
garrett macfadyen

Strength:

How the frame dampens road vibration and how smooth it feels. This leads to a very comfortable ride, especially on long hours in the saddle. Also, frame design makes it a very fast time trial bike

Frame design does limit it’s uses as cycling federations do have regulations and specification that might disallow this frame in there races.
No water bottle mounts on frame but this is easily remedied with behind the saddle water bottle holder.

I’m an Ironman athlete and believe this frame would be very beneficial for short course to Ironman triathlons, as well as for any ultra cycling events where this frame design would be permitted. When I first looked at this bike my first impressions were the carbon frame looks very sweet and fast, and most likely would be a very comfortable ride. But as a 185 lbs athlete with many 4:40 Ironman rides in me and able to push quite a big gear I was concerned the frame would be somewhat flexy. With frame stiffness being a primary concern with any bike I would ride I will address this aspect first. If the bike does not pass this standard it does not matter how sweet it looks or how it performs in a wind tunnel test.
My first real ride on this bike was a 140 km (85mile) hilly hammer ride. Warming up and going easy for the first hr I felt comfortable in my position and unable to feel any flexing or looseness that I suspected I would sense on some of the moderate effort climbs. We then get into our long TT intervals over this very rolly terrain. I thought I would have to remain sitting when climbing to avoid flexing the frame and losing power. But was surprised and impressed I did not feel any flexing at all, even when I was standing up stomping over the climbs. Biggest test came when we rolled back into town and have our final hill sprint up this 200meter hill. We hit it with some speed staying in the big ring and gave it the all out max effort to the finish line at the top.
As I rolled over the top huffing and puffing and inspecting my highest HR reached for the ride, I was thoroughly impressed. I did not feel any flexing at all. This frame is stiff and tight!! This stiffness can only be contributed to these wide chain stays and the manner in which they form into the bottom bracket. They certainly do their job. And surely the carbon fiber construction is also playing a contributing role in the frame stiffness. But this carbon fiber aspect is more obvious and enjoyed in the smooth ride this material and frame design provides by absorbing and dispersing road vibration. A lot of vibration can be transferred into our bodies over a long ride and this can have us feeling quite beaten up when we get off the bike. Not the feeling we would like when we have to think about running.
During the ride I did feel that road vibration was dampened and how smooth the frame felt leaving my butt and body feeling very comfortable. I went out for my 6 km run off the bike and legs and body felt good considering the effort I put out on the bike. Best test and indication of this benefit is how you feel getting off bike in an Ironman. After an Ironman ride we feel the negative effect of being on the bike that long and this can affect how well we are able to run. Getting off the bp stealth in my first Ironman, it was very noticeable the difference in how my body and legs felt from riding this bike. I felt fresher and without that feeling that I’ve been hit with a hammer a 1000 times all over my body, all due to the frame absorbing and dampening the road vibrations. Needless to say this transferred into having a great run.
Other thing with this frame is that it does have the sleek design and lines that would indicate it would have a speed advantage with less drag. And this plays a bigger role at higher speeds. For a 6 hr plus age group Ironman rider speed is not going to be the biggest advantage or concern. Most important and greatest benefit will come in the form of the comfortable ride this bike provides. This bike offers this unique sensation of comfort and smoothness that I have never experienced on any other ride. As with any bike your riding position will be crucial in attaining the most comfortable and powerful riding position possible. But once you find your set up on this bike, after a few hours in the saddle you become very aware of the difference and how much better the riding feels.
Garrett Mac Fadyen

I have ridden Ironman on all the following: trek carbon, anatomic aluminum, and klein aluminum. Also I still ride an older cannondale aluminum in winter and on trainer.

[Jul 04, 2006]
moomawsr

Strength:

I have used the Stealth for all distances from Ironman to Sprints and the frame provides just enough cushion for long rides while providing stiffness for hills and speed.

Honestly I do not see or feel any weaknesses with the Stealth frame.

The Stealth Tri specific bike has helped me take my racing to a higher level. In the past I was a middle of the pack cyclist, now I'm posting times with the lead pack, and positioning myself better for the run.

n/a