Fuji Bicycles Norcom Straight Triathlon Bike

Fuji Bicycles Norcom Straight Triathlon Bike

[Feb 09, 2017]
Biker Bud

Strength:

Very Aero, seems well thought out, good value, strong brakes (when adjusted)

build quality and assembly could be much better

This review is for a 2015 Norcom 2.5. The bike is outfitted with 105 derailleurs and oval 327 wheels. As the other reviewer said, the bike seems very adjustable. This is my first Tri bike, so I don't have a lot of experience to relate to other tri bikes. However, I've owned many bikes. When you pick up a new bike at the shop, the rear wheel should not have 2-3 mm of wobble and the rim should not pucker at the pinned joint. Also, the brake pads came misadjusted and the handlebar parts (pads, bars, mounts) were loose and required adjustment and tightening. Finally, I don't know who spec'ed the seat, but I didn't even try it.

Anyway, after doing the bike shop's job, I finally took the bike out for a few rides. It's more comfortable than it looks. I expected a tri bike to be rough and difficult to ride. However, the steering seems to have a good balance of responsiveness and stability. Also, the brakes are very good. Much better than what I expected, based on other tri bike reviews. Haven't rode it with the carbon wheels, so I can't offer feedback on that. The semi loose rear wheel was fairly comfortable though. Got a great deal on this bike from the LBS. So, I used the savings to purchase a nice set of carbon wheels. Good luck with your purchase.

No tri bikes. C'Dale, Fuji, Giant (Never again!), Specialized, Colnago and a few other road bikes.

OVERALL
[Jan 30, 2014]
Velo_Midwest

Strength:

Very Adjustable (Stem, Handlebar, Aerobar and Saddle)
Aero!!!
Control (not twitchy but definitely not slow)
Price compared to Trek, Specialized, Cervelo

Brakes rubbed in back (it's tight back there so they needed some extra tinkering to work right)
Didn't like the saddle

So the price is a little off. I know that there is a base model of this bike at $2600 but I paid closer to $3700 for the 2.1 model.
I have no out of the ordinary complaints in riding this bike compared to my last Tri bike (Orbea.) Things are so compacted inside of the aero bubbles around the bike, I think they just need time to set in place. My bars took a couple adjustments to get them to stay in place but now everything is tight. Brakes moved around a bit at first but they are dialed now. The bike comes with some nice little extras like a brake noodle that flexes nice around the tight turns that the housing takes. I had to customize my Orbea's housing during set up last time by taking the plastic outer of the housing off for the last part of the housing. It wasn't a problem cause you couldn't see it but still was extra steps that I didn't have to do with the Fuji.
Value... I could go on forever how good of a spec this bike has compared to other brands for the price. I took the extra couple hundred that I saved and bought new S-Works shoes! You can't beat that...

OVERALL