Motobecane Nemesis Triathlon Bike

• Ritchey PRO Clip Aero Bar System
  • Ritchey PRO Stem and PRO Seatpost
  • Shimano Ultegra 6600 20speed Rear Derailleur

blueoakforest   Triathlete [Nov 12, 2009]
Strength:

Good looking, smooth ride, solid breaking, with state of the art gears, tires.

Aerobars are a bit large. Bar end shifters difficult to install, you should buy FF seat post.

The bike is fairly well made and rides well, BUT if you are not prepared for putting together a complex bike without the support of basic instructions, especially installing the shifters and aerobars, you'll become very frustrated and may end up purchasing extra cables. The shifters are totally without clear instructions.

Mike Day   Triathlete [Aug 17, 2009]
Strength:

The price of the bike beats anything- for all the high end components I would easily pay double anywhere else.

The one major flaw with the bike is the aerobars. They are lame in so many ways. Mine broke after one season- they just snapped in half & I replaced them with a better set that allows you to grip the handlebars- the stock bars are in a fixed position and are horrible.

The Nemesis was an excellent deal. For the components that come with it, nothing will beat the overall price. It has held up over two years and is a fast bike. It also looks cool in black.

Similar Products Used: I rode a FELT tri bike for about 4 years until a van ran me and the FELT over- totalling both the bike and the rider.
yatesdr   Triathlete [Aug 10, 2009]
Strength:

Great price for excellent components and a good frame. I wound up swapping all the components out to a different frame (Leader) and still came out ahead in terms of price / performance.

Be careful sizing if you want a comfortable aero position (size down 2 sizes from road bike). The bike is definitely "long and low", so if you have a longish inseam and shorter torso make sure to size according to the top tube length. The aerobars that come with it are adequate, but not stellar. Plan on replacing them eventually if you're serious.

Good price for the components, and overall a great buy. One caution: be very careful with regards to sizing. The geometry is more similar to a road bike than a "real" tri bike, with the top tubes approximately matching the seat tube lengths. It can be hard to get a good aero position on this type of geometry if you have a short torso relative to your inseam, so size down 2 sizes (maybe more depending on your inseam / torso lengths), and figure the sizing based off the top tube length you need for a comfortable aero position. If you don't you'll be stretched way out to reach the aerobars and it will not be comfortable for long rides on the bars. I ride a 62cm road bike (6'2 / 35" inseam) and got the 61cm nemesis, but the top tube was waaay too long (~60mm too long). I wound up swapping the components onto a 57cm Leader frame with a 60mm shorter top tube and my body geometry is much better now. Had I understood what I was doing when I was ordering the nemesis, I would have ordered by the top tube length which for me would be the 56cm frame size, then jack up the seat to get the leg length and saddle position right. For Tri bikes aero position comfort is the most important, so focus on that and you'll be OK.

Similar Products Used: Trek 1200, MB Sprint, Leader
leeleach   Triathlete [Jul 01, 2009]
Strength:

Reliable and kicks the pants off of those full carbon frames other newbies are riding.

From a beginner's standpoint...none.

Great bike for beginners. Solid frame, good components, reliable, and able to race all conditions. On this bike I've done Ironman Japan twice, 2 half iron distance, 1 Oly, and numerous sprints. I would say the resume speaks for itself when it comes to this bike. I'm upgrading to a full carbon frame for next season but only because I'm ready for a faster bike. Don't go out and buy a full carbon top end bike if you're a beginner. It's a waste of money and you're no where near able to reap the benefits of a bike like that. Learn on the Nemisis and earn your stripes first. You'll be happy you did.

Similar Products Used: none.
bob1jones1   Triathlete [Sep 24, 2008]
Strength:

Fast, reliable, great components

The Richey Aerobars are ok as a starter set, but more experienced riders will probably want to change them out eventually.

Also..I'm a pretty mechanically inclined guy, but there was no way I was going to attempt the build. Take it to a good LBS.

I am in my second Triathlon season using the Moto Nemesis. I have to say that I absolutely love the bike and am a huge fan. I have no trouble keeping up with any full carbon bike out there and for some reason on a slight down-hill run I'm able to go faster than most bikes.

I recently replaced the whole Richey base bar / aero bar setup with a CBX Pro from Profile Design. I could never quite get the Richey set to adjust properly to me and feel entirely comfortable.

I have not been able to find a better value out there for the money. It always surprises me when I'm in the transition area how few of these I see. The Nemesis is a great bike.

Similar Products Used: none
vermonttriathlete   Triathlete [Aug 15, 2008]
Strength:

PRICE, PRICE, PRICE
Quality of frame and components
Very fast!
PRICE, PRICE, PRICE

Weight

Awesome bike. A little dissappointed that it doesn't have the full 78 degree tube angle, but I put a profile design FF seatpost on it and got the angle up to 81 degrees, and love it. Awesome frame, great parts. I replaced the crank with a shimano R600 compact crank and the cassette with a sram 11-26 and now I have a hill climbing tri bike that feels happiest at about 28mph. With aero wheels it's still not the lightest bike, but still feels faster then other bikes I've ridden. Stiff, sometimes harsh, ride?

Similar Products Used: This is my second motobecane (had a vent noir too) and I absolutely love them. I can't believe there aren't more of them on the road!
sail7cz   Triathlete [Feb 13, 2008]
Strength:

Price. Great group. Comfortable on long rides. Fast bike (and after all, isn't that what it's all about?)

Poor manufacturer customer service (to date). Inferior wheelset (replaceable).

Like most everyone else-I bought my "MotoB" for the price (I would not have bought it at the MSRP of $1895). Two short rides have proven the bike to be responsive and quick. I had the LBS complete the remaining 10% build from out of the box, and do a fitting; the fitting extended the aero bars out which made the cables extending down from the shifters tight. So tight that when I made a few sharp angle turns it destroyed the front derailleur cable sheath (a good LBS is so hard to find). Motobecane has been unresponsive with two attempts to locate a nearby dealer so I can replace the part with OEM parts. This level of customer service is concerning from a manufacturer. I replaced the seat will be using a race wheelset for competion. All said I am quite pleased with the price for performance ratio.

Jbsurfin   Triathlete [Sep 12, 2007]
Strength:

high end components, good service from BD
nice comfortable ride

Ritchey areo bar elbow support is weak and broke. Was quickly replaced.

Best value for the $$. High end parts and fast. I have no problem holding an avg 24mph during tri's.. Blows the more expensive bikes away and I love it..

Similar Products Used: Fugi, Trek,cannondale
Brenda Yawn   Triathlete [Jul 31, 2007]
Strength:

An incredible deal for a very, very nice bike with high-end components. Comfortable and fast.

This is not an easy bike to assemble. I'm no mechanic, but I've broken down a bike for air travel plenty of times and thought this one would be a breeze. I spent three hours or more on assembly and still took it in to my bike mechanic for all the final adjustments. The shifters come in a box, which I wasn't expecting.

I recently switched from an entry-level Giant OCR3 to this bike. I really liked my Giant, but I love this bike. It's much lighter than I expected. It's a comfortable ride and very fast. I did my first tri on it, and shaved several minutes off my bike time.

Similar Products Used: Giant OCR3
Ian Charles   Triathlete [Jul 13, 2007]
Strength:

Great components ... you couldn't pick them up on eBay for less. Even if you hate the frame, you could throw it away and buy another one and you'd still be better off.
The frame itself seems reasonably well made ... OK titanium or carbon fiber are nicer but, as far as aluminum frames go, this is as good as anything I've seen from Cannondale, QR etc. in terms of weld quality and alignment

The fitting guide on the website isn't very helpful. My road bike is a 56cm C-C and I'd probably go far a 58cm C-T. If you're buying your first tri bike, you probably need something 2-4cm smaller than your normal road size.
Also, 20 minutes to assemble this is a tad optimistic .... maybe if you did it all day every day! It's probably about a three hour job ... don't forget, you don't want to trash the packaging in case you have to send it back. The only tricky bit is assembling the shift levers into the bar ends ... look at the photo on the website.

I actually got the 2008 version of the bike with Dura-Ace Front and Rear Mechs and the FSA SL-K Cranks. As other people have said, you can't go far wrong: basically, you're buying the components and they're chucking a frameset in for free.
I'd caution potential buyers with the fact that you do need to have a pretty good idea what you're doing as regards bike fit and basic wrenching. The bike is built with a fairly shallow angle for a tribike: 76 degrees and mine came with a 250mm seatpost. As I'm 6' with a 34.75" inseam (long legs and a short body), I ended up buying a 54cm frame to give me a short enough top tube. I then threw away the seat post and replaced it with a Profile Designs Fast Forward carbon fibre post that gives me the position I want. In effect, I've spent $1300 on bike+seatpost.
However, I've got to compare this with something like the QR Tequilo which has a slightly better cockpit and a carbon fibre rear triangle: that bike retails for $2400 and my LBS will let me have a 2006 model for $1800 including tax. Obviously, if I'd bought from my LBS, I'd have got free fitting etc. but, I'd have spent $500 more or $1200 more if I'd gone for the 2007 model. For me, free fitting and maintenance aren't worth much: you may be different. At the end of the day, you pay your money and you take your choice.
On the road, the bike's great.
I've put about 250 miles on it and my initial impressions are pretty good. The carbon fork and my new seat post absorb a lot of the harshness you get with aluminum frames and the ovalized tubing gives it plenty of stiffness. It's got the usual problem with Tri bikes in that the handling is a bit twitchy asyour weight's considerably further forward than on a road bike and there isn't enough rake on the fork. Still, you can say the same about a $7000 Felt!
The wheels are fine for everyday training and racing, although I guess if you're in it to win it, you might want to upgrade to a nice pair of Zipps!