Bell 8 Computers

Bell 8

jafco   Weekend Warrior [Aug 28, 2002]
Strength:

looks, ease of use, auto on/off

highly inaccurate

After putting about 70 miles on the Bell computer I decided to do some math & see how accurate the odometer was. Multiplying my wheel/tire diameter by pi I came up with the circumference. Now, one-tenth mile is 528 feet. I divided 528 by wheel circumference to calculate how many turns of the front wheel past sensor on fork would result in one-tenth mile to "click" on the odometer. It should "click" off a tenth mile when the wheel spins 73 times. But it actually takes only 60 spins of the wheel to register one-tenth mile on the Bell. This is an error of 95.6 feet per one-tenth mile or 956 feet per mile; and when the odometer reads 100 miles only 81.9 miles would have been actually traveled . In other words, the Bell overestimates distance traveled by 22%. And although I cannot measure the speedometer for accuracy it's probably overestimating speed by 22% as well. (NOTE: The magnet is designed to be screwed onto 2 spokes simultaneously towards rim. It therefore cannot be positioned higher or lower on the spokes.) Also, the Bell can be programmed for different size wheels but its odometer will display the same reading for an identical number of wheel spins for the different wheel settings. A scam product.

OVERALL
lutheran   Weekend Warrior [Jun 07, 2002]
Strength:

it doesn't work

Well, it took me a week to install it and mine fell off too. It never worked. I'm taking it back to WALMART. I took back two other BELL products that didn't work too. I hope the BELL helmet isn't defective too.

Similar Products Used: Bell Bicycle pump, Bell Tool kit. (Monkey wrench broke in half; the pump never worked)
OVERALL