Campagnolo Ergobrain 10 Computers

Campagnolo Ergobrain 10 Computers

With ErgoBrain10, we aimed to create a full-scale control unit for your bicycle. A simple "click" on the integrated Ergopower controls gives access to all functions - and you can comfortably monitor any situation without ever having to take your eyes off the road. To make ErgoBrain10 even more perfect, we have included non-volatile EEPROM memory, which means that set-up data are stored even when the battery is replaced. We have also placed considerable effort on the hardware of this jewel of technology to develop an elegant design, optimal aerodynamic penetration and ideal positioning on the handlebar for readout. Moreover, for the first time, the pedal cadence magnet is not fitted with an ugly band on the crankset arm but is located inside the Pro·Fit PLUS and Pro·Fit pedals to ensure virtual "invisibility". Technology serving ease of use.

[Nov 09, 2017]
Gregory Atchison

Strength:

Reliability, accuracy, clarity of display.

Challenging to install - recommend installation be done by a Campy trained wrench. Lots of wires that must be treated with care. Pricy.

I have been using the ergo brain since they were first introduced - over 15 years. Mine performs flawlessly in all respects. Gearing display particularly useful. Had one problem early on with a bad harness that caused incorrect display of gearing . Campy replaced in a very timely fashion.

[Oct 23, 2006]
James J. Mauro

Strength:

Clear display. Controls integrated in the brake hoods. Show gear inches and which chainring (inaccurate) and cog is being used. It's Campagnolo.

Rarely displays correct chainring withoug messing around with it.

I have had the Ergobrain on my bike for over 4 yrs, and although I love the functionality and concept, mine has some problems that require constant screwing around with in order to get the correct chainring display. It continuously tells me I'm on the 39 when I am really on the 53. The opposite is also true: showing I am on the 53 when I am on the 39. When I "manually" switch it by depressing the left hood button, it stays correct for a few minutes and then switches back. I have recalibrated it and rewired it to no avail and my most common comment when riding is "f$#@ing thing." It's very aggraivating.

[Jun 16, 2005]
johnjend

Strength:

not many

wires, legibility of display, remote button operation

Yuck. I just bought a new bike with Record components and thought this would be a great addition to the experience. I'm very dissapointed with the computer. Problems are: 1. I can't read the sub display when riding. I have to memorize the sequence that it cycles through as the teenie weenie acronyms aren't ledgible. 2. display is blurry like a lcd gets after it's been dropped or left in the rain for a long time... 3. The remote buttons on my brake hoods don't work. The right one does but left doesn't and holding for 2 seconds on either one isn't functioning. 4. less of an issue is all the wires. Long wires to the cadence/speed (why aren't they in the same place?) as well as the wires between the remote switches and the computer as I couldn't run them through my new FSA bar... I'm going to try to return this through CBike and try out the new polar wireless c200 unit. I can live with pushing a button on the computer and looking through my legs for gear notification. It's funny because with all the fancy gear notification on the unit, I hve so squint to see if i'm in my lsst or 2nd to last gear and it would be easier to just look between my legs. Save the hassle of having to undo your brakes to return this later. Skip to something else.

[Oct 02, 2003]
Piers
Racer

Strength:

lovely display, everything else works great. The ergo buttons to control the display are brilliant

Terrible connectors from the sensors to the unit, and ergo conectors are suspect, expect better for the price

If you get easily frustrated with components then don't buy this. I bought it for the gear selection dipsplay, but my Ergobrain lacks much of a brain. Worked great, then displayed the wrong gears, cut out,worked great for ten miles......... so and so on. Can't be trusted.

cateye, sigma

[Dec 12, 2002]
Wintersolstice
Racer

Strength:

Cadence, low profile, great controls.

Frequently requires resets, misses a lot of shifts, very touchy, very "tech intensive".

The computer looks goods, works ok. I have been using it with a Campy Chorus 10-speed for 3 or so months now, and I just can't decide whether or not I like it. It is nice to have the cadence, the cabling is fairly non-intrusive compared to some systems, and the controls are very slick. On the downside, it frequently requires me to reset the shifting for no particular reason, and sometimes fails to catch shifts at all. Not a very good value for the money at this point, in my opinion. I wouldn't buy another one.

Sigma BC 400, 800, and 1400

[Nov 18, 2002]
CdaleR4000si
Cross Country Rider

Strength:

Looks Great. The gear indicator is a nice touch (when it works).

Miles of wiring, but that is to be expected with most cadence computers. Backlight has NEVER worked. Gear indicator works ocasionally.

Hate to say it but Campy has dropped the ball with this one. It is potentially a very nice computer, easy to navigate, lots of features, etc... The backlighting has never worked, no big deal for me, I don't ride in the dark anyway. But my main problem has been the gear indicator, which was the main reason that I went with this computer. After about 100 miles, I started losing the reading. Took it back to the shop and was given a new interface sensor (having to remove the bar tape & shifter to replace it just made me even madder). That one lasted about 200 miles. I can now count on losing the reading after the first 10-15 miles on every ride. I will try replacing the sensor one more time, if it goes out again... Back to Cateye. I expect much more from Campagnolo, especially for the high price.

Cateye, Avocet

[Oct 21, 2002]
Garbear
Weekend Warrior

Strength:

All the functions, easy to read and laid out in logical order. Including a clock and fits with campy quality.

Not easy to learn if you have no patience or time. Not wireless and wires are long.

All the functions and then some. Great training tool. Took me a few weeks to understand the sequence and to get what I needed.

Specialized computer

[Sep 17, 2002]
kdoswald
Weekend Warrior

Strength:

Integration with all record components, learning capabilities.

Takes a while to figure out all the options, and no wireless option.

I installed the ergobrain 10 on my bike about a year ago now. It has been great everythign works, I do not find it flimsy. And you can order almost any part for it that goes bad at branfordbikes. Having the buttons on right by my hands all the time while riding makes it easy to switch from one mode to another. It does take a while to figure out all the options though.

[Sep 17, 2002]
trekki1
Cross Country Rider

Strength:

There may be a need for all these features. I give Campy some credit fo rbeing cutting edge. I like the gear display feature instead of looking down at my gears to figure out which gear I'm in.

FLIMSY AND FRAIL. ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE TO GET REPLACEMENT PARTS. My cadence wire broke after about 20 miles. So one of the more useful features is not working. I now notice that the cadence sensor is cracked also. All this after about 5 rides.

Nice for gear heads and techno-geeks. This thing has a lot of bells and whistles, which I'm not sure that you really need. I end up spending more time looking at the readings than watching the road. Long learning curve not supported by weak instructions. Difficult and complex installation and setup

CATEYE - more more simple and solid.

[Aug 29, 2002]
malonehn
Downhiller

Strength:

Gear display, self learning feature, backlight, battery life, reliability, features.

Steep learning curve. It takes a while to figure out how to work all the features. Some of the operations are not intuitive. Definitely not an "install it and go" type of product. Get a Cat-Eye if you want that. Also, there is no way to retain or manually set the odometer value when doing hard reset or battery change. Goes back to zero; that's dumb.

The ErgoBrain has worked flawlessly for me since I installed it six months ago. I really like the self-learning gear display feature, which works great if you take the time to set it up properly. I use the cadence feature a lot as well. I like the backlight feature as well.

Performance 5.0