CatEye OS Computers

CatEye OS Computers

• Data Review functions • Last ride data • Date, Time & Distance • Max Speed (ever) • Weekly distance by day and graphed by week • Monthy distance (for 1 year) • yearly distance (for 6 years) • Pace Arrow • Personal Data • Name and birthday • Font Size • Choose the font size of lower display (4 sizes)

[Dec 29, 2003]
BWH3
Racer

Strength:

Big display, customizable display, durable

not a weakness for me, but there is no cadence

I have the Cateye OS 1.1, and I believe they have ironed out all of the bugs. This is a durable unit, with a nice big display and a lot of features for a 'basic' type of computer. It has a very simple on-screen set up, and the best part is that you can customize how the data is displayed. There is also a feature to see charts of your mileage over a week, month, or year...I though it was cool at first, but then rarely used it. Battery life seems to be excellent - I have never replaced a battery in the last year of use. And, the unit has not had any problems in all types of weather conditions. If you are looking for all of the basic information (except no cadence) this is the best unit I have seen. I can' tell you how many times someone I am riding with asks me for the time b/c they know I can actually read my screen!

A variety of Cateyes throughout the years

[Jul 16, 2003]
stuttsdc

Strength:

Easy to read, lots of options. greets you in the morning, wishes you a good ride, etc. even congratulates you on reaching certain distances.

The batteries wear out in just months. Occasionally, it just goes to sleep and you have to reset it, losing all of your data. What's the point of all the data review functions if you end up losing it all anyway? Mine has decided to stop working after a year and I'm not sure why. I've replaced the battery but suddenly it'll just stop taking readings and won't turn on at all. Very, very annoying.

Nice looking computer w/a ton of features and a load of bugs (hopefully, fixed in the 1.1 version.)

[May 14, 2003]
Cadmonkey
Cross Country Rider

Strength:

Ease of use, ability to "personalze" the readout screen. I also like the large font sizes that make the screen easy to read.

My biggest weakness is that it doesn't seem to function well in rain, even limited rain. When it is wet out, it get crazy readings showing that I'm riding at 900+ miles per hour and at other times,it just shuts off when in the rain. Also, it does seem to eat a lot of batteries.

I really like the OS, it does have tons of features (which is why I got the OS.) I have found that in reality I really don't use most of the features. I like that it greets me each morning at the start of the ride.

Other Cateye products and also a Sigma Sport.

[Mar 12, 2003]
Andrew
Cross Country Rider

Strength:

Large Clear Display. Easy set up. Neat (if useless) additional information.

Eats batteries (every 3 months in normal use without accessing the stored data too much). Inaccurate readings. Over priced. Be prepared to get teased about the 'laptop on your handlebars' - it is big!

A real let down. I have always used Cat Eye computers with no problems, but I am on my 3rd OS. The display is nice and large, the unit has some nice features, but every now and again it just goes to sleep and won't wake up again. It eats batteries like they are going out of fashion. I have experienced some amazing speeds with the computer (once I apparently hit 1800 mph up a hill!), but I am concerned with the lack of accuracy. Riding at a steady pace, the display can vary from 18 to 25 to 36 mph in 2 seconds. Not worth the money, and I actually never use the additional functions which is why I bought the unit in the first place. I would be beter off with a more reliable standard unit, which Cat Eye are so good at making. Maybe the unit is too clever for its own good!

Various Cat Eye's over the years (probably about 5 different models)

[Oct 23, 2002]
Z32NUT
Weekend Warrior

Strength:

Nice display, Ease of setup. Good for data weenies like me.

Battery only seems to last a season, then deadsville. My MITY3 is 4 years old, and still on the original battery.

I love the big display. The srolling buttons make it easy to go from funtion to function quickly and easily. Setup is a joke(easy) compared to some other types and brands of speedo's. This, next to their Mity3, is the best ones to hang off your bars. Only reason I say that is because in the 2 years, I've gont through 2 batteries. Its nice to have the ability to store years of data, But not if the battery usage isn't up to it. You lose all your stored mileage data when you chane the battery.

OS is like NO other product.

[Sep 17, 2002]
trek1420b
Weekend Warrior

Strength:

Display. Easter eggs, like at 1876 miles (ODO), it says you have ridden the length of the Japan Islands. Are there more?

Some bugs with graph data.

Not a bad computer. Hopefully the free upgrade this fall will fix some bugs. It did freeze up on me once requiring a reset. However it did not cause the ODO to lose it's setting (good). The bar graph info is kind of gimmickry. I like the personal distance setting (essentially a second ODO you get set) and max speed ever.

Cateye Astrale, Solar, Paramount, Trek

[Jul 10, 2002]
stoutbk
Racer

Strength:

Easy setup, large display

Data review section cumbersome

Overall, a pretty good computer. The data review features is the reason I bought it, but have found myself not using that feature very often. I also find the data review features somewhat confusing and not very user friendly. I look forward to upgrades and hope things get better. The other features are great, but any other computer would do them as well. The large display is nice and setup as simple. No problems with batteries or lost data. Knowing what I know now about the computer, I would still probably purchase it again.

vetta and cateye products

[Jun 22, 2002]
hawkster
Weekend Warrior

Strength:

Easy to read. Good cosmetics.

Buggy. Easy to inadvertantly erase all of your data. Poor battery life.

This computer should be better than it is. If the upgrade ever arrives, maybe it will be. Standard functions are OK, but nothing special. Advanced functions are buggy and confusing to use. Battery died unexpectedly. No manual needed? Ha! Manual must be studied carefully before using.

About 8 other computers, some Cateyes.

[May 11, 2002]
Coneynew
Weekend Warrior

Strength:

Ultra-easy set-up. Cateye has the absolute best customer service. In June 2002 all registered owners of the OS 1.0 can receive the new OS 1.1 FREE!!! A Cateye representative has advised me that a new feature of the OS 1.1 will be a "count-down" feature.

Batteries as compared to other bike computers, however that can be expected w/ all of the functions/features this computer has.

Extremely easy to use and initial set-up. Swithching between settings is super easy. Many functions are customizable, even the size of the display. Data review functions are really handy. Although the instructions indicate no tools are necessary, you wil find you will need the assistance of a single fat screwdriver or even a dime worked for me. Extremely accurate computer. Check it out at Cateye.com

[May 11, 2002]
midi10
Racer

Strength:

Same as any other less expensive unit.

Advanced features don''t work well if at all.

I have had three of these. It would be a great product if the data archiving and other advanced features worked. Weekly data is only replaced by new data if you ride that day. If you skip a day, the data from the previous week is carried over. In addition monthly ride data from the current month is added to the data from the same month last year. In short I still need to keep a ride log which is the main reason that I bought this unit in the first place. Cateye is aware of the problem and should be fixing it in the next version of the product. I was told that this will be made available to current owners for free. Sounds like not enough product testing to me. Make sure you don''t get OS 1.0, wait to the next version.

Many others