CatEye Strada Computers

• Programmable Odometer
  • Auto start/stop
  • Auto power-saving mode
  • Pace arrow
  • Universal speed magnet and sensor

heathb   Road Racer [May 13, 2010]
Strength:

Very cheap to run and own. Reliable. Light weight.

The wires can be a little unsitely to those that obesess over every little detail of how their bike looks...seems a lot of people these days have this problem.

I'm not sure why all these other reviews are so bad. Of course some of these people are posting that this is a wireless unit. It's actually a wired computered, thus making it extremely reliable. I've got several of these on my bikes along with a cateye cadence wired as well. Never had a problem. I have had problems with the wireless cateyes and the agrivation of having a computer stop reading during a race brought me to the conclusion that wired even though lacking the sexyness of a wireless system, is still the way to go even in 2010.

Similar Products Used: Cateye double wireless, Cateye V2c, Cateye strada wireless. Blackburn Nero 4.0.
twain   Triathlete [Feb 11, 2010]
Strength:

- light
- easy to read screen
- easy to use
- coded wireless transmission
- looks cool
- easy to set up

- sensor is sensitive; needs to be close to the magnet
- the trip odo resets to zero if you stop riding for any length of time. This blows away the avg/max speeds. It does have an "odo 2" that measure total distance since reset but I wish the reset time was longer in the standard mode

I found this on Jittery Joes website at a ridiculous discount. It has the JJoes logo and looks pretty darn cool.
Fortunately, I haven't had the same durability concerns as others. I love that it's wireless and coded; I don't get interference from telephone lines and the timing triggers at races. It's also cool how it can mount on the handlebar or stem.

Similar Products Used: Mavic Wintech (elegant a bit of a PIA to set up)
db4lw-the cheap wireless Perf bike ones. They actually work great but are prone to interference (I went 70mph?!)
petewrig   Road Racer [Feb 10, 2010]
Strength:

Design, look

Everything else, it just simply DOES NOT WORK

Nice design, would be great if it worked. It does not work. I have been through three, they are consistent, all three failed in the exact same thorough way. First was replaced by Cateye, third I stupidly was talked into by LBS because "they have fixed the problem" I believe what makes it nice (the way the unit sits in the harness and is itself the only button) is also what makes it fail. After some riding, perhaps from vibration the connection to the harness contact points fails and you look down and realize you are going '0Mph' which means your mileage is not right, which means if you are on a 200 mile cue sheet brevet you are lost, which makes you want to hurt someone at Cateye.

Slip Stream   Recreational Rider [Jul 10, 2009]
Strength:

Its menu is easy to operate.

It does not work.

Piece of crap. It is inaccurate at best. It displays 0 mph more often than actual speed. Do not buy this cyclopoter.

Similar Products Used: Many other Cateye cycloputers.
schlaefer88   Commuter [Apr 24, 2009]
Strength:

Easy to read and operate.

Unreliable on bumpy rides.

I agree that this unit becomes unreliable on long rides over bumpy roads. I bought this unit for my weekend fun bicycle and have used it now for three century rides as well as several longer rides. During the Tierra Bella century ride I noticed that the computer would suddenly register 0 then 12 then finally return to my downhillspeed (30mph). This happened quite frequently during the ride, particularly when the road vibration was great (poor pavement, higher speeds). At first I thought that the vibration had moved the sensor in relation to the magnet, but this was not the case. While the odometer is usually accurate, it ended up loosing 7 miles on a 100 mile ride. Not acceptable.

Similar Products Used: Cateye Mity, Performance Axiom.
pinkbikediva   Recreational Rider [Nov 22, 2008]
Strength:

Easy use, big display, reliable service.

The computer will pop out of it's handlebar mount if you bump it from below.

I picked this computer because I wanted to try the "whole computer is a button" idea. I like it. The computer is easy to reset, but won't reset on the fly. I haven't had any problems outlined by other reviewers here. I bumped the computer with my water bottle twice and knocked it onto the road and I'm pleased to say that (since it didn't get ran over) it went right back on and gave no problems. I like this computer and recommend it.

Similar Products Used: some specialized model
gsjtitan   Recreational Rider [Aug 25, 2008]
Strength:

Good interface, easy to use.

See review summary.

The unit has a great user interface. However, it has a major problem with serious vibrations on a long ride. I've gone through two units over the last two years that have progressively zeroed out on long rides (excess of 40 miles). Cleaning and reseating was only marginally and inconsistently effective at fixing problem. This seems to be somewhat aggrivated by the vibration characteristics of my carbon fiber bike, as another user with same frame (1 year different) has had the exact same problems.