CatEye V3 Triple Wireless W/HR sensor Computers

CatEye V3 Triple Wireless W/HR sensor Computers

Redefining elegance and power. The latest 2.4GHz digital data transmission virtually eliminates interference and cross-talk, while the large screen simultaneously displays speed, cadence, heart rate and time information.

[May 16, 2011]
robm90

Strength:

Eay to use

display could be larger

I have had this unit about 3 months and everything works as adverised. It was relatively easy to install and program. So far I hve no complaints

[Feb 26, 2011]
New_user

Strength:

Slick looking set up. Makes me want to remove the saddle bag and front and rear lights because it looks so clean with the bike.

Instructions could be a lot more clear. Some steps of the set up you have to figure out with trial and error. Almost pulled out some hairs due to irritation. Its not like an iPhone that is super intuitive. But hey, if I can do it you can do it.

I just got this unit and first read all the reviews here. I just wanted to address the issues with this unit.

The sensor mount ($80 one) can be attached to the chainstay with 4 of the tie wraps provide. They all fit snug! Instructions show to use two, but I used 4 to be super safe, and it still looks neat and clean.

The sensor on the cranks for cadence may slide due to centrifugal (centripetal?) forces so when you attached it with a tie wrap put some rubber or even electrical tape between the tie wrap and crank so it wont slide around.

I did not use the spoke speed sensor magnet provided because I had one from before from a Target store Bell speedo -- it has never ever fallen off or gotten loose. If I were to use the magnet provided, I would put some locktight or mild glue in the threads of the magnet to prevent vibrations from making it loose.

Overall a pretty sweet product for the price thats needs a little bit of simple custom install make it right. This is the case with may things, thats life.

Considered a Garmin EDGE 500, but why not just get the Cateye V3 and then save the money for a powermeter?

Bell, Specialized speedos

[Feb 09, 2011]
oskian

Strength:

Pretty accurate, to me displays some useless information, but others doing laps for instance might find some funcions appealing.

Small bezel,hard to see numerals and letters, no temperature display.
I should have listened to the guy who sold me the bike!

This review pertains to the CatEye V3 bike computer.
Somewhat difficult to program, a little easier each time one reads the instructions, this unit's bezel is about as big as a man's dress watch Far too tiny, it needs to be about 3"x2" minimum. This is miniaturazation gone awry! If it weighed an ounce or two more, it would really not make the bike any heavier or more difficult to ride! What is the idea of making it so tiny? Additionally, it needs more dedicated buttons rather than multi-function, multiple use buttons which have a hard feel. If you don't have eagle eyes, it can be very difficult to read. As for the magnetic connectors and transmitter, another joke that if you're wearing jeans or pants, the slightest rub against the transmitter may well throw the whole unit out of kilter.
If it were not so miniaturized, it might cost less to build, be more visible, display more things at any one time. And it has no temperature display. Huh?
Ridiculous!

[Nov 19, 2010]
loo

TWO out Three that I have owned have shorted out.

The functions are nice and the computer is easy to use. I have owned THREE V3 and TWO have died from shorted out.

[Oct 28, 2010]
Kevin

Strength:

Single wireless sensor. Ability to replace battery. Awesome Cateye customer service. Best unit that I can imagine short of buying a GPS or power meter.

Product is great. Love the fact that there is a single sensor for speed and cadence. Bought this after using a Polar and discovering the cost of getting a new chest sensor after the battery died. Love the fact that you can replace the battery in the chest strap on your own. $3 to replace as opposed to $20 to ship my Polar sensor back to the manufacturer and have them change it (not to mention the hassle factor). The unit performed flawlessly for nearly 2 years. Did my 3rd battery change and was unable to get the unit to restart, so I sent it to Cateye. It turned out that I sent it to an old address and they never received it. I called them and they didn't even question it. I just provided the UPS shipping information and they sent me a new unit right away. Awesome customer service!

Polar CS200

[Oct 03, 2010]
patmac

Strength:

Kudos to Cateye for sending out replacements without any hassle. Seriously. That right there is why I would not hesitate to buy from them again.

Everything fits on to the screen nicely. The necessary stuff is right there and the not so necessary stuff isn't hard to access.

It's pretty user friendly for a bike computer.

Speed and HR always show up well.

It's a good looking piece of bike equipment.

A computer or sensor or wheel magnet aren't very useful if they don't stay on.

If you are wearing the HR monitor you cannot switch HR zones or turn off the sound on the computer, like when you are starting a ride and already have your strap in place.

Cadence was sporadic for a couple months and then went out completely. Max recorded cadence is not available, but it would probably be the most useless stat if it did work.

Cateye has a lot of work to do before this becomes worth the money.

The sensor fell off within a couple months. Luckily I found the sensor although not the rubber mount. The new rubber mount came (for free) with the same zip ties as before. Out of curiosity I wrapped the zip tie around my fingers and pulled.......SNAP!

Cateye, please spec the sensor pickup with zip ties that don't break so easily! If my index finger can snap it and errant shoe or hard bumps will too. It fits ties over twice the size, please spec them.

The head unit fell off. I have never heard of this. It took a couple hours to find. A bridge that nearly rattled my teeth out may have helped this.

The wheel magnet flew off. I have used wheel magnets for years and years and have never seen this before. Maybe it was my fault, but I don't know how to judge that.

The cadence was extremely sporadic. Recalibrating the sensor with the head unit was recommended over the phone to fix it and that would typically work for a couple rides. I'm writing this review while waiting for a new sensor to come in the mail because that annoying solution stopped working.

It is ridiculous that you are required to have the HR strap off if you need to adjust HR zones or turn the sound on/off. I don't like re-dressing in the garage our outside just to adjust computer settings.

If you use your own zip ties on the sensor, maybe a different wheel magnet and have good luck with the cadence you will like this unit. I love it when it's working! The display is great, the buttons are easy to use with and without gloves and the speed and HR work great.

Cateye could have the best computer for the money if they fixed the issues that are mentioned over and over on this forum. Maybe they have by now?

An overall 2 for the problems I have had. A 3 for value because I should have a fairly operational system before too long without spending a single cent above original purchase cost.

Sigma Products mostly

[Oct 03, 2010]
bikeman

Strength:

Great to Have wireless functions. Zero problems when working

electronics short out after several months

My wife and I both have the V3 and they both only lasted 8 months before the electronics shorted out. I'm on a replacement v3 and the wife moved on to another computer. It worked great when it worked. No problems reading and easy to set up.

[Jun 14, 2010]
maple286

Strength:

Function and size. Cateye backs up their products.

Pick up needed repalcing after 3 months

Small package with everything you’ll need to keep going. Display is large enough with an easy to use back light. Buttons are far enough apart so you won’t fat finger anything. After about 3 months the system was not registering the speed or cadence. Called Cateye and without saying another word they send out a pick up replacement. The operator said about 30% of their calls are related to the V series pickups.

Sigma 1609

[Jan 23, 2010]
Mike

Strength:

It's features

Would be nice if it included features that could be programmed via computer.

Took a gamble after reading all the negative reviews, there few positive reviews. I wanted a computer that could display my HR and Cadence and there are not very many around, but this is compact. So I noticed a trend of complaints that included sensors falling, off buttons hard to push, and computer stops reading or working.
I purchased it and 500 miles later this is what I have to say, after setting it up myself, with my 1 and 3 year old moving wheels, turning handlebars. it was relativly easy. MUST pay attention to the set up step. I have yet to drop it or lose connectivity with the sensors.
DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME.
At some point I did notice that my computer locked up, It was because it was set to AVERAGE, and In average you may not see changes instantly. So and with my winter gloves on clicked the V4 button twice and went to max and then current. The button is small but not impossible, YES it could be fussy but once you get a technique it is not a problem.
So I ride 25-50 miles 3 times a week and I DO check to make sure that my sensor has not come loose, I do not want it to drop and cause damage. I have yet to notice anything loose.

Vetta

[Dec 19, 2009]
stevec108

Strength:

Compact, many features and nifty all-in-one sensor, though vulnerable to damage.

No HR programmability! Chainstay sensor, while brilliant in concept, is highly vulnerable to damage and pricey for replacement.

I tend to be product loyal and have owned Cateye units in the past with no complaints. This is equally true for the V3 with one caveat: I wish the HR feature was programmable to sex, age, height, weight- just like the Polar units. It seems like this should be a simple software feature of greater specificity that could easily be programmed into this otherwise fine unit. The other caveat is that I, like many other reviewers, had the misfortune of somehow launching the sensor while beginning a ride! I heard it hit the ground but was able to locate it and reinstall the unit, which fortunately, still works. Just don't know how I managed to kick it off with my cleat while in the pedals. Those sensor units are pricey to replace as others have already commented. 500+ miles on the unit so far and have replaced the sensor battery once. . .

Polar Watch. . .