Garmin Edge 205 Computers

Garmin Edge 205 Computers

Take your ride to the next level with the Edge 205—Garmin's GPS-enabled personal trainer and cycle computer. Perfect for touring and the trails, the lightweight Edge is the ultimate fitness partner. With the easy-to-use Edge 205 on your bike, you always know where you're going and how far you've gone. For advanced cyclists, the Edge 305 is available with either a heart rate monitor or a wireless speed/pedaling cadence sensor to help you achieve your personal best.

The Edge 205 measures speed, distance, time, calories burned, altitude, plus much more.

[Jan 13, 2010]
Bob

Strength:

Rechargable, competent data recorder, clean look, easy to switch between bikes

Speed, gradient, and altitude are dismally inaccurate. More like estimates than actual data.

The Garmin 205 is just okay. It doesn't suffer from the reliability problems of the 305, but it's moment-to-moment display is woefully inaccurate. I've seen consistent errors of -5mph while riding under tree cover. The altitude is plus or minus 100 feet, which makes the gradient data absolutely laughable and the cumulative altitude gain (on Garmin Connect.com only, not able to display on the unit) 25% high (compared to my Cateye altimeter)

On the plus side, it's easy to switch bike to bike and has a very clean look, no wires, magnets or fork pickups. I use it mainly as a data recorder, as its distance and average speed are spot on, and there are numerous tools you can use to track your data and compare it to others, Strava.com, Ascent, etc. I like the rechargable battery so I'm not always polluting landfills with dead watch batteries.

I guess I like it in spite of its limitations, but if I had paid the $249 asking price I might feel differently.

I have my eye on an Edge 305 with heart rate and the speed/cadence sensor.

Avocet, Cateye, Polar, CiclioSpport, etc.

[Oct 23, 2009]
itsvegasbaby

Strength:

Extensive data collection

Poor reliability
Poor battery life
No cumulative mileage so if you go out of town and are not by your computer to download, you will lose your data.
Handle bar mount is pretty cheesy

I have the Edge 305 and am happy with it for the most part. It collects extensive data that allows me to compete with myself ride for ride so I think it is a good training aid. I have used the 305 for about 10 months now. It has just recently started shutting down every time I go over a bump or some rough pavement so it is going back to the factory today. The handle bar mount is pretty cheesy. For this kind of money, you should get something a little more substantial than a zip tie.

[Oct 10, 2009]
rileyvmiller

Strength:

NONE. it does everything a $15 cyclo-computer does only WORSE!!!!

Basically, everything. The "mapping" functions are terrible, and the "cyclo-computer" maths are also terrible. Here's a re-cap of suck-ass "features" for the Garmin 205. Plus a few others that just came to light.

1. Very Inaccurate. 22MPH or 27MPH? 4% or 16% Gradient? MAKE UP YOUR $&#@ing MIND!!!!
2. The GPS "Navigation" is utterly useless.
4. No heart rate monitor (WTF?)
5. No Cadence (WTF?)
6. Battery life sucks horribly
7: Complaining about the 205 doesn't make me feel better
8. The colors don't match my bike
9. It got my sister pregnant
10. It does not remove unwanted lipstick stains on my collar
11. It is not microwave-safe
12. I think it's a racist. At least culturally biased.

I'm sorry, but I am EXCEPTIONALLY disappointed with this piece of crap. I will innumerate my gripes: 1. Very Inaccurate. Any trees or light clouds, and the thing fluctuates +/- 3MPH. Don't even BOTHER with the altitude reader. I was on a climb I know for a FACT is 8% continuously. On a clear day it said I was doing 22%. Golfclap. 2. The GPS "Navigation" is utterly useless. It doesn't display road names or EVEN ROADS. It just drawn a freakin' LINE and tells you which direction North is. If you get lost, GG, the 205 is about as useful as a blow to the head. 3. No heart rate monitor (WTF?). 4. No Cadence (WTF?) 5. Battery life sucks horribly, 5-6 hrs tops.

Look, I could go on, but frankly this is just making me even more pissed off. Gripe #6: Complaining about the 205 doesn't even make me feel better!!!

Clearly this piece of #&$@ was designed by some hotshot engineer's intern and rushed into production. Someone should get the $*#$ing chair for this.

If I could give this thing negative points, like the SAT "guessing penalty" I would. I truly, truly would.

Malfunctioning toaster ovens, my first car (toyota tercel WAGON with cow seat covers and a blown head gasket), lamps that go through 1-2 light bulbs per week.. basically anything that sucks is a product similar to this one.

[Jul 01, 2009]
Andrew242

Strength:

Easy to use. Customable screens. Durable. Very cheap!

No heartbeat recording (easily fixed).

I bought my Garmin Edge 205 cause i love bicycles, and i love technology. Me and my friend used to talk to why gps wasnt used on bikes before Garmin showed us what it could be like. It replaced my Sigma BC1600 cadence right away.
I nowdays use it with my Garmin Forerunner 50 to record my heartbeat and cadence and imports it in sporttracks which merges the gps-data and heartbeat from garmin fr50.
And the maps in sporttracks comes from google maps, so its superb.

[Sep 23, 2008]
eedwards

Strength:

Records alot of information. Buy this if you want to keep track of your training.

Quirky. Not a replacement for a good bicycling computer, no "off" switch and limited battery life.

I bought this thinking that it would replace my bicycle computer -- wrong. You still need a good cycle computer. The Garmin 305 is a training tool to capture a large amount of data and present it for comparison of various workouts. Once you have a good route saved (not an easy task) and the virtual training partner is working, the training rides are great.
I am disappointed that the full analysis tools are only available by subscription so, you have to pay an extra annual amount to maximize usefullness of the collected data.
The Garmin 305 is subject to battery run-down, satellite signal loss, quirky random shutoff's, and other things that make it undependable. When it is working, it is very good -- to make sure that it is collecting data, you have to watch the timer. When the timer stops, the unit has stopped collecting data even though it continues to show mph, cadence, heartbeat, etc. it is not collecting the data.

Several cat-eye cycle computers

[Sep 16, 2008]
69chevelle70

Strength:

Accuracy in open areas

Under any kind of tree cover/heavy clouds speed fluctuates.

Overall a good product..Speed and distance are more accurate MOST of the time. Upgraded to a 705 for improved gps coverage..will review that soon.

[Jul 29, 2008]
john busteed

Strength:

very accurate most of the time.

After 2 years, 5 hours MAX ride time. Will only hold <400 miles of data which blows on a week long ride where computer access is limited.

I have had the Edge 205 since 2006 and have used it for one day rides and week long organized rides. As the other reviewers have noted, set-up is very easy and straightforward and you can set up for multiple bikes.

[Feb 25, 2008]
jdabama13

Strength:

A lot of data! You can break down speed, heart rate, and cadence for that latest climb.

Monochrome screen. Takes a little while to sort through what you really need.

I have the Edge 305 and it's the most useful training tool I have ever used. The "virtual partner" lets you race against previous "personal bests" and displays constant updates on where you are with regard to pace. Instead of doing the math during a ride you can quickly glance at the screen and see if you are ahead or behind the previous workout. Installation is stunningly simple. I saw a few neg reviews regarding the cadence sensor (difficult installation, came with dead batteries) but I had no problems with it. I'm not an expert mechanic by any means but I spent a total of 15 minutes installing the computer and cadence sensor and I have had no problems whatsoever. My wife gave me the Garmin for my b-day and I have thanked her after every ride. The information it provides is more than I ever thought possible. It has all the usual (speed, average speed, cadence, heart rate) but also provides a profile of the course ridden, including elevation. If you use the free service at motionbased.com you can even get the weather data for the ride. This is not a "tom-tom" or "nuvi" type of GPS. You can't use it to navigate (although I think you can with the new 705) it is for recording workout data. But it is still a very useful tool. The hardest part is determining what data you want to display on the main screen. Fortunately, you can set up "bike 1" and "bike 2" for the same bike and just switch back and forth during the ride to allow twice as many windows of info.

VDO wireless

[Aug 16, 2007]
bepe

Strength:

GPS can give turn by turn directions

Garmin software is not great. The training center is not as good as a free application (sportstrack) and they do not provide any software to download routes

This device is great. Very convenient setup, no calibration, etc. But what I really love is the ability to chart routes on a map, download the route to the GPS, and then get turn by turn directions throughout the ride. And if you miss a turn you can use the GPS to find your way back to the route. Garmin, bizarrely, does not provide the software to do this, but a number of third party sites do for free or very little cost. I use www.marengo-ltd.com/map2/ which I highly recommend. It has a free version or a better version for a low annual fee. There's also biketoaster.com which is free but a little slower.

[Aug 16, 2007]
T. Monk

Strength:

Goes anywhere on any bike.

You have to charge it like an iPod. I wish you could just stick AAA batts in it. But so far the internal rechargeable batt has a good lifespan.

The Garmin 205 is great. It's way better than any other cyclocomputer I've used, and I've been riding for 10+ years. No magnets needed, no calibration. Move it from bike to bike in 2 seconds and go. I own 4 different bikes, and this one Garmin unit goes on them all, MTB, road, it dosen't matter. You can even use it for running. Just stick it in a pouch or MP3 player armband thingy and go. Once you've downloaded the info into your computer after the run, just drag and drop the info into the running folder in the Garmin training center and you are done. You can track every mile by the day, week, month, or year. This thing really helps you keep track of your training. It's really cool and well worth the money.

Cateye wireless (sucks)