Garmin Edge 605 GPS Computers

Edge 605 GPS

Lose yourself in the ride without losing your way with Garmin's Edge 605. This GPS-enabled computer comes loaded with everything you need to make the...

Gordon Harris   Recreational Rider [Feb 14, 2011]
Strength:

Works perfectly. Makes me safer because I don't have to pull out a map or cue sheet while riding.

The instructions are minimal, but several sites like www.bikenewengland.com have pages with troubleshooting hints and instructions.

The Garmin Edge is a gadget that you will absolutely love. Download GPX files from RideWithGPS, MapMyRide, or BikeNewEngland and load them into the Garmin. Turn off the renavigation feature, which is best used for finding locations in a car. Choose the ride you saved and it will take you effortlessly through every turn. No cue sheets or maps to look at-- the Edge switches from map mode to show visible instructions and beeps to tell you where the turns are. This is the best cycling computer around-- upgrade to the Garmin Edge 705 or 800 only if you want a heart rate and cadence monitor.

Similar Products Used: Only the Garmin Edge 750 and 800 have the same features as the 605
OVERALL
ramboorider   Recreational Rider [Jun 14, 2009]
Strength:

Perfect navigational tool and all I'd ever want in a bike computer as well.

Garmin software isn't much. You do need to buy the maps separately, but that's OK - that way you can buy different countries/continents when you travel. I'd imagine this thing will work as well in France or Italy as here at home.

I moved up from a 205, which was a nice computer, but not much more (during the ride - it was still nice to be able to map your ride AFTERwards to see where you'd been). This thing rocks. I got the 605 because I don't care about cadence or heart rate or power and the lesser grade and elevation sensor doesn't much matter because that information you can get more accurately after the ride regardless.

I know the areas I ride in pretty well, but I've already used this to pull down rides in less familiar areas from Bikely, MMR, and Ridewithgps.com. Being able to venture into an unknown area with confidence about your directions and with a dynamic map on board in case you need to improvise is a great thing. I'm looking forward to using it when I travel with a bike and take advantage of other folks expertise about the roads in their areas. Garmin's software isn't great, but there are so many routing software options on the web, it doesn't matter.