Garmin Edge 705 GPS Bundle w Street Maps Computers

Garmin Edge 705 GPS Bundle w Street Maps Computers

The Edge 705 pushes you to do your best, then shows you the way back. It is both a trainer and navigator. This GPS-enabled cycle computer knows no limits. Get heart rate, cadence, speed, turn-by-turn directions, and power data (from ANT+Sport®-enabled third-party power meters) - the works. Even share your data with other Edge 705 buddies after your ride. All wireless with a color display, this is no ordinary cycle computer. The Edge 705 comes with a built-in basemap, plus it has a microSD card slot for adding map detail and storing workouts, courses and saved rides. Just plug in detailed MapSource® City Navigator® street maps on a preloaded data card and get turn-by-turn directions on a sunlight-readable, color display as you pedal. Add optional topo mapping for your off-road adventures. The Edge snaps easily into the included bike mount.

[Aug 12, 2010]
Richard P. Handler, M.D.

Strength:

design is very good

Garmin is not reliable or honest. The aggravation of dealing with them is totally counter to the pleasure and relaxation of cycling. I would never purchase another Garmin product

I have the 605 which differs from 705 only in absence of cadence. My comments apply to both the 605 and 705. The unit itself is well made and thought out. Ot displays clearly and can be configured in many ways. Altitude measurements at times are off, but in general very sensitive and accurate When used properly with a ride plotted on a PC and downloaded to the Edge, ot deisplays a clear route, like an old AAA Trip Tic. Riding the maze of country roads in England it has been perfect. Here's what is wrong: Garmin is an unsatifactory and unreliable comjpany, with misrepresentation, hidden charges, and lack of responsiveness to queries. Beware: 1. If you buy the maps on conveniet micro SD cards, they will load an infinite number of times in any Edge, but they cannot be uploaded to a computer so routes cannot be platted and theunit really fucntions only as a bikie computer and altimeter. 2. If you buy maps on CD-ROM or download, you cannot transfrer them to a another computer i.e. if it is in your desk top machine, you cannot also have it in your lap top, and visa versa. 3. Purchasing any form other than the micro SD may now be impossible. GArmin told me I'd have to duplicate my map purchases on CD-ROM, so I budgeted this and ordered right off the Garmin web store, using a drop down menu to select CD-ROM. The email order confirmation stated micro SD. On the phone the store informed me that there is no version other than micro SD. htey directed me to technical support. Reaching technical support by phone is nearly impossible. They have not replied yet. My daughter-in-law had a similar experience - took them 30 days to respond to email. GArmin store directed me to return the microSD. Turns out they charge 15% restocking fee even when the problem is their fault

there are no similar products from any other manufactuer yet. better to wait

[Mar 16, 2010]
CrazyMadCyclist

Strength:

GPSAbility to set up courses for training and race eventsEasy to installAnt+ to connect to power units eg iBikeAcquires sattelite reception rapidly8 data field displays for key in-ride dataRobust -- handles shock and wet conditions with not problems

Useless analysis Training software (Garmin TRianing Centre)Cant see purpose of compass screen when doing a course- useless info Useless and inadequate documentationWebsite FAQ not much use for anything other than basic Maps are VERY expensive (USD150)Help desk is useless

As a long time Polar user it took some consideration to switch and after 6 months i have no regrets. The gps unit is fantastic and has some useful features such as being able to use a course /virtual partner to train against, or I have used it in race situations where i get advance warning of wapoints of interest like summits or pre-planned attack points.The Garmin software is the let down and is quiet useless and some features do not work properly. I have found that SportsTrack (free) and Training Peak (expensive) far more useful to track and analyse rides/history and maintain a training plan. For course/ route designs the two most usefull tools i found are http://ridewithgps.com/ and http://www.bikeroutetoaster.com/. Maps: Garmin offers 3 formats generally, ie SD Card, Download or CD. Whilst i always used download as is convenient, I think it would be better to buy the cd/DVD as this will enable you to access the map from you PC. Note that download and DVD options lock the map to the specific device.

I found that the cadence/speed sensor is easy to setup and attach to the bike. I would hint that approack is best to setup/tilt the cadence side first then adjust the arm to suit the space between spoke and chainstay (easy). Also you can, contrary to the FAQ on the Garmin site, use two cadence sensors on two different bikes.

Accessories: I have an iBike and upgraded to get Ant+ firmware. This works really well with Edge 705 where it is easy to get Power measurementThere are useful youTube clips for using course builder sites and setup of the Edge eg screens or accesories

Polar cs600x - with gps : GPS acqusition and data recording was not as good as the Garmin. Small screen.

[Mar 15, 2010]
Fixed

Strength:

Lots of features. Bright at night.

Impossible to see in bright sunlight; speed display very erratic without cadence/speed sensor attached; cannot map route on computer with detailed datacard map in unit; very expensive.

This was a complete waste of money, and I'm returning it. I had high expectations for the 705, wanting one since the day they came out. Waited for 20% off discount at Nashbar, and snatched up one with the whole package.

I wanted one primarily for these reasons: 1) I have many bikes, and it would be nice to switch one computer among them, only having to add a stem or handlebar mount (I bought 6 extras at the same time); 2) the display looks large and bright in the marketing photos; 3) the ability to map out routes in advance and receive prompts during a ride.

I was very disappointed. First, I ran the unit on my commuter bike, with my wired computer still mounted. I found that the speed display varied all over the place, within about a 3 mph range while riding on straight, level, unobscured roads. Seems that the cadence/speed sensor is required to have an accurate speed display, not just to fill in data if GPS signals are obscured. I'm not about to buy extra speed/cadence sensors for each bike, as they are expensive and I don't care about cadence display, anyway. The unit is worthless for speed display without the sensor added.

Second, the display is fine in the dark, with the backlight turned on, but I found it impossible to see in bright sunlight. Even though the numbers are large, in some settings, the background of the numerical display is also dark, with very little contrast. I found myself having to concentrate hard to read it, almost running off the road while doing so. Also, in map mode, the names of the roads are far too small to read while riding along, and you can't really read road names and see enough map area to tell where you are at the same time, requiring lots of zooming in and out.

Third, I thought I was having difficulty registering the included data card detail map, as I could not route with any detail while the unit was attached to a computer. Garmin told me I also have to purchase detail maps for the computer, as well, so even more $. I can't get it to map out a cycling route with the unit, other than a basic point to point route, which I rarely do.

Bottom line, I'm returning it. I would not use it if it cost $50, much less 10 times that.

All sorts of bike computers, but first GPS.

[Mar 09, 2010]
tstrawbridge

Strength:

Custom data fields
Maps!
ANT+ support
Garmin Connect

Garmin Training Centre is a joke. (I use Garmin Connect, much better)

This unit is great. The negative reviews on this product are mind boggling to me. This unit has done everything it has promised and more. I love this thing and take it everywhere with me. Works great with my Bontrager Duotrap.

Other non-GPS computers

[Nov 22, 2009]
Phil Edwards

See above

I have never had such a missfortune as to have purchased this pile of crap. Cadeance mount will not fit onto Fulcrum Zero spokes, and the sensor uit does not fit close enough to the wheel on my cabon Time. So OK not Cadenace, I can live with that. Next the heart rate monitor does not work, tried to change battery in chest strap, still not working, OK I can live with that. Next I mount the thing onto my bike, go for a ride and then comes the pleasure of trying to install all the necessary programmes to use the device on my laptop. Yes you guessed, I can't get that to work either. OK I have a solution, I take my Garmin and laptop into work and get my head of IT within a huge organisation to sort it for me. Yes I can now download my rides onto my laptop, however I can't publish them on the web as garmin do not support any system other than Vista. Took it out yesterday in a storm and guess what, it now does not work anymore at all. Little rubber button to control the thing has come off as has the cover for the power lead etc.
Please please do not buy one of these things unless you want a divorce or a holiday in hospital.

Sigma Rox 9, brilliant

[Aug 09, 2009]
michaelgrossman

Strength:

It has multiple screens which can be set up.
Ease to transfer to other bikes

It feels flimsy on the stem.
Software horrible. Use WKO+ if you want to get anything out of your data.
Manuals are a waste.
No power

I am not sure it is me or the device but this is a far cry from the SRM. At first I downloaded an updated version 2.7. Do not do this unless you do not want to down load your data. It will be lost in a folder on your desktop. I then unistalled and reinstalled the 2.6 version. They are still working out the kinks on the 2.7
I never felt comfortable with the reliability of the device unlike the srm which I always knew would capture my data.
At times my device would capture my data in the history folder on the device but would not download it to the folder on the desktop either through the garmin folder which comes up when you plug the device in or the garmin center. I am also unable to view the folders without internet connection. Again I am not sure if the original set up was corrupted or it doesn't work that way.
I am currently using it with an SRM wireless setup and the SRM does work with the head unit of the garmin.
I returned the device after 2 months and received another which is still in the box. I am just not sure I can trust the device although to be fair everybody I have spoken with likes their device

Polar
Ergomo
SRM

[Jun 20, 2009]
Durrin

Strength:

-very easy to move from one bike to another
-history
-custimisability of viewed data
-expandability (cadence, power meters)
-pulse sensor works great (I haven't tried any other ANT+sport devices)
-showing of gradients

-it doesn't come with decent maps
-altimeter, while great to have, is a bit unstable
-the included software (garmin training center) is a joke
-the mount could be a little bit better
-a little bit big

On the whole, I am extremely pleased with this bike computer. It is great to be able to see in google earth/maps precisely where one has ridden. With some fiddling, one can also create routes in google maps.

The included software is just terrible, although par for the course when it comes to GPS devices. (For some reason the GPS industry doesn't want to make it easy to interface with their devices. I would like to see a google-maps mashup that would make it easy to create a route and export it to the GPS.) However, Motionbased.com(subscription for the advanced stuff) can (slowly) read the track files created by the 705, and its software isn't absolutely awful.

only car-based GPSs and older, non-GPS cyclocomputers.

[Apr 26, 2009]
george_otj

Save your money and wait for a more advanced version (805?) to come along before you buy one.

Using bikeroutetoaster.com I've been able to make courses for myself. This works reasonably well. Trying to go on rides in unfamiliar places used to be scary/adventureous/time consuming. Now I just spend a few minutes on the website planning my course, and the 705 tells me where to go - Very Nice!!!

The big issue: I bought the 705 instead of the 605 or even the 305 because it is able to receive power data from my powertap hub. It does receive the that data. It even *displays* it on the screen as I ride. So far as I can tell it DOES NOT save that data, and there is certainly no way of accessing the power data in the Garmin Training Center software (version 3.4.3).

This is a big deal. What good is power data to me if I can't use it to track my training? Am I supposed to memorize the numbers as they flash by on my screen? WTF was Garmin thinking? The whole point of the 705 is the power data! If it doesn't save the data or I can't get to the data then why didn't I save a hundred dollars or more and get the 605?

I feel cheated.

[Mar 16, 2009]
cohiba7777

Strength:

Data logging
Ease of use/mount

Manuals
Garmin Connect

EXCELLENT - I love the data and the custom-ability of the screens and views. Functionally the unit is easy to mount and use - set-up, though, is difficult...the unit itself is simple - the GARMIN issued software and Garmin Connect are unrefined and not worthy of the quality of this device.

Shimano Flite-Deck

[Sep 26, 2008]
midicun

Strength:

Lots of data recorded
beautiful color screen
shows total Altitude

expensive
low quality control
not reliable

I bought the 705 about a month ago. 2 weeks into it the speed and distance became eratic (20 mph then 45 mph then 0 mph); basically it stopped working. It did this on 3 of my rides. Luckily I was able to return it since the store had 30 days return policy.

For $560 it should be flawless. And if its the sensor battery then it sucks that it died within 2 weeks.