Performance Axiom 8.0C Computers

Performance Axiom 8.0C

[Nov 03, 2003]
Adam
Cross Country Rider

Strength:

Cheap, Nice functions and Easy to Use

Died after only 1000 miles

I bought this computer becuase it was the best deal with a cadence function. I put the computer on, but becuase my frame is different I had to put a shim under the magnent to get it close enough to the pedal sensor to pick it up. The computer worked great like this for the first 2 months of the season, then I took it in for a tune-up and the bike shop through out the shim so I jury-rigged it so that the magnet would get close enough again. It then worked fine again till I went on one of my yearly 300+ mile trips. After about 180 miles into the trip I left the bike under a park shelter overnight and the next morning as we pulled out the Computer went nuts and kept jumping between not working at all or saying I was goin 50+ mph. I took the computer appart and checked the battery and the sensors to no avail. It never worked right again. Overall it lasted over 1000 miles. I would guess that somehow water got into the sensor unit.

Specialized

[Apr 06, 2003]
Ross Guldenbrein
Weekend Warrior

Strength:

This thing works flawlessly. Great design, easy to use, very reliable. I don't know why the other reviewers have had problems, if you mount it properly, have a good battery, and set it up right it rocks! Of course the cadance feature is the most important for road riding but the rest of the info is always handy. Large screen is easy to see.

None, OK I'd prefer it to be German made.

A great profuct!

I also had the older model with the red button.

[Mar 31, 2003]
Tim Mayr
Weekend Warrior

Strength:

setup, design, functions

poor quality / reliability

I really liked the design and setup for the Axiom 8.0C, but it's just too unreliable. I've had problems with the cadence function, and the speed function, and sometimes both, but I can never find any problems with the wiring or sensor pickups. Maybe one day someone will design a really bullet-proof cycling computer, but this isn't it. One positive note, Performance absolutely stands behind their products, so a return was no problem, even after using the computer on and off for a whole season.

VDO - good until it got wet, so much for being waterproof. Avocet - unreliable and difficult to install.

[Sep 26, 2002]
johnAClayton
Weekend Warrior

Strength:

Price, reliability.

Would be nice to have a mount wraped around the stem instead of the bars.

Nice, very functional computer. Measures the important stuff pretty well, and you can't beat it for the price. I don't understand people complaining about it breaking - if you have a problem you can just take it back to Performance - they have a killer return policy. Cadence magnet was a pain in the ass - black zip ties on my beautifully finished Campagnolo cranks! I just glued the magnet on with silicone sealant - no problems so far.

Vetta

[Mar 12, 2002]
Chuck Phillips
Racer

Strength:

Clean wiring Rear wheel pickup Price.

Flaky sensors Poor resolution (.5 mph)

Nice set of functions, gives me most of the info I need. There''s something fundamentally flawed in the sensors, though. It will lose either the wheel or cadence pickup at random times, usually right in the middle of a century. On the theory that it was a bad harness, I''ve replaced it once already, but the problem persists. At first I was really happy with this unit, but now I''m about ready to pitch it.

VDO C15+