Shimano Flight Deck Computers

Shimano Flight Deck Computers

This item isThe cyclecomputer unit forTheShimano Flight Deck system.This innovative cyclecomputer is operated directly fromThe buttons built into certainShimano STI brake/shift levers. Please note,This item does not includeThe mounting kit and wire harness neededTo mount itTo your bicycle (please see JensonUSA item #CP707Z01 The hallmark ofShimanos Systems Engineering is a seamless integration of body and machine.This has resulted inThe finest cyclingTechnologies inThe world, and has producted

[Feb 01, 2015]
Armando Castro

Strength:

Nothing

All

I bough it use for a month now is dead I changed all the battery nothing happens still dead I press the bottom still dead need help

[Aug 28, 2010]
Marti

Strength:

Gear display

Tricky and more time to reset.

My husband fixed the problem of accidentally turning off all the trip info, mph, etc. ~ I unknowingly kept pressing the on-and-off button on the left hood just by varying my hand placement. So he peeled back the rubber to expose the button and placed a metal washer (with a hole in the middle)centered over the button, replaced the rubber covering over the washer, which holds it in place. He also trimmed off the little rubber nipple on the underside of the rubber covering. This works! But, the only drawback is, in order to reset and zero out after each trip, to press left and right button at the same time requires peeling back the covering and pressing the left button with a little tool, like a pen tip. But I always have this handy, and I'm getting used to it, and am getting pretty fast at it. I feel this is better than the alternative: losing a lot of your trip mileage and tracking. I really like the gear disply enough to go through this every time!

[Mar 22, 2010]
mantelclock

Strength:

Cool display of current gear and integrated cadence without the need for an extra sensor.

Very difficult to program. Too easy to accidentally reset. Expensive.

This computer started out as a great idea, but has numerous problems in its execution. First off, it is very difficult to program, not because the instructions are confusing, but because the rubber set buttons are so unresponsive. The first one that I had took me over an hour to get half way through programming. I sent that one back for a replacement. The replacement only took me a half hour to program, but my finger tips still hurt from pushing the set buttons! Once it's programmed, the unit functions fairly well. The gear indicator is accurate, and the cadence and other functions seem to work well. That is, until you accidentally push the stop/start button and it stops tracking speed, mileage, etc. It is VERY easy to accidentally stop or reset the unit while riding because the buttons are placed right on the brake/shift units, so when you're really cranking and not paying much attention to your grip or the display, it gets reset and you don't notice it until you're several miles past the turn at mile X on your cue sheet.

Trek Incite 8i and 9i
Specialized Sport Computer

[Dec 16, 2009]
snmnoles

Strength:

Numerous features to fine tune your training with reliability.

Missing a programmable odometer. Use 3-4 batteries a year.

I've used the same one for 8 years with no problems. I love this item, it virtually has every feature you could want including wireless.

Cateye, Specialized, Vetta.

[Jul 14, 2009]
juddbone

Strength:

Broad range of information, integrated into brakes/shifters, easy to read display

Overly complicated for the price, Inability to switch between bikes without reentering all data

This product has all the potential in the world....integrated with the shifter/brakes, ability to set up for several bikes but comes up short with several shortfalls primarily the difficulty to shift between bikes.

[Apr 01, 2009]
Mr Six Bikes

Strength:

1) Gear indicator
2) Thumb Shifter Buttons

1) Manual is terrible, but it's not rocket science.

2) Kits are expensive

3) Installations requires some mechanical ability.

I bought my Wirelss Flight Deck in 2005 and its been virtually trouble free since day. The unit froze one after riding a metric century in the rain. I lost the last few miles of my ride, but it retained everything else.

Gear indicator and shifter buttons are my favorite features on this unit. Very accurate when a proper rollout is done, matching speed and distance with Garmin 705.

Since buying this unit I've bought two more wireless kits so I swap this unit between 3 bikes. Two are 10speed, one is a 9Speed rig.

KK Power Computer

[Feb 05, 2009]
tbird

Strength:

I love the cadence function and current gear display. Everything worked as advertised.

The wireless only worked on the front wheel so I couldn't install the magnet on the rear wheel for trainer use. The computer ate batteries at the rate of 2 per year. This required me to reset all of my settings every six months or so, but not a real big deal. The wireless was worth the 'clean' look.

I bought this unit in 2001 and had it installed on my new road bike and I haven't had any problems with it. I just sold it and the bike I had originally bought it for in 2008 and it was working perfectly. The only change I had made was when I updated my shifters and went ahead and upgraded to the wireless unit; otherwise, I never changed the computer.

[Feb 04, 2009]
bmcdonald

Strength:

Numerous features which either don't work or are not of use to me.

Most features are unreliable or don't work. Unit shuts itself off numerous times during a ride. Horrid manual.

I was talked into buying this product with the purchase of a new bike. They pointed out all these great features, which it turns out the folks in the shop do not even understand how to use. Don't say look in the manual. They have it in numerous languages. They should have just printed it in Japanese for all the good it does me. I asked how much and was told $60. They did not mention the $112 cost for the "wiring". The product is junk. The unit shuts itself off 3-4 times in the average 40 mile ride. It has the neat feature of showing what gears you are in, but often they do not match the actual gears you are in. The cadence is based on a derived function based on the speed and gear you are in, which of course, is not accurate when the gear is wrong. I have had it back to the shop numerous times for repair. If they can't fix it this time, I am going to go back to my Cat's Eye which never fails.

Cat's Eye

[Nov 08, 2008]
Richard Head

Strength:

RELIABLE lol
easy read of gears and gear ratios

for me....none

WOW i have read many of these reviews and am suprised!
I got my flight deck with my Merlin road bike seven years ago, and i LOVE it, i have never had a single problem with it, i now have 20,000 miles on the bike and on the same oringinal computer etc. I love the info on what gear i am in, i love the easy change between displays at my finger tips. i always tell friends to buy it? i am being honest it is old and never had a single problem, i did not know of this problems with the flight deck. maybe i got one of the early models, maybe i got the only one that works?
i have to think hard and long when it i need to replace it?????

cateye on cross bike...dont like it as much

[Nov 06, 2008]
a_Gaijin

Strength:

Control buttons integrated on brake hoods
Current gear display
Trip-meter

Price - expensive, but it's lasted longer than 5 years so far, so I'm OK with that.

I'm really surprised to read the negative reviews on this product. I have only had one FlightDeck, so maybe I got lucky and got a reliable one? I bought the FlightDeck in January 2003 and installed it on my Bianchi-steel bike with Ultegra/STI shifters. Since then I put 18,000 miles on the bike (and on that computer). I've ridden in rainstorms, heat, dust, pretty much everything. It has never flaked out on me. I also swapped out chainrings and cassette cogs often, as well as changed tires sizes, and it's pretty easy to figure out the FlightDeck interface to enter the changed numbers.

In 2003 the FlightDeck was wired into the sensor down on the front forks, and in mid-2004 the wires broke apart. No worries; I had a new wireless sensor installed (kept using the original FlightDeck computer) and everything continued working fine.

I love the integrated buttons on the brake hoods, as well as the "what gear am I in now?" display. I've already bought another FlightDeck to use on the next bike I'm ordering.

Oh, I guess one negative is the clock... the thing seemed to lose about 10 minutes per year. Fortunately it was simple enough to just reset the time.